SC teacher arrested for spanking

Friday, Dec. 2, 2011 8:01 AM
Last updated 9:43 AM

LAKE WYLIE, S.C. — A York County middle school teacher is being charged with assault and battery after three students say he spanked them.

The 12-year-old boys at Oakridge Middle School in Lake Wylie accused seventh grade math teacher Chris Petrasek of spanking them earlier this year.

Clover schools’ policy does now allow the use of corporal punishment. The students said the spankings were punishment for getting a low grade, missing a question or talking out of turn.

School spokesman Mychal Frost says Petrasek is on administrative leave with pay.

The 48-year-old teacher also coaches wrestling. He’s been a teacher in the district since 2007.

It was unclear if he has an attorney.

Edward1968
Edward1968 12/02/11 - 08:19 am
Student charged?

Student charged?

allhans
allhans 12/02/11 - 08:23 am
Oh my!

Oh my!

ccres
ccres 12/02/11 - 08:25 am
Policy does NOW allow, or

Policy does NOW allow, or does NOT allow spanking?

raul
raul 12/02/11 - 08:30 am
Bad move by the teacher

Bad move by the teacher assuming he was aware of the school policy on corporal punishment. I remember getting the wooden paddle at Langford in the mid sixties for wearing the wrong color socks to gym due to a thief stealing my gym socks from those wire baskets that you locked up.

csrareader
csrareader 12/02/11 - 08:32 am
Things sure have changed

Things sure have changed since I was in middle and high school.

raul
raul 12/02/11 - 08:32 am
You would think AP would do

You would think AP would do better on proofreading. Two major errors in a short story.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/02/11 - 08:56 am
I predict these three

I predict these three 12-year-old boys have lives of crime in their future. Their complete lack of respect for their teachers will manifest itself in lack of respect for law enforcement, for laws in general, and lack of proper decorum in public places. Their wives will likely be victims of abuse shortly after marriage.

harley_52
harley_52 12/02/11 - 09:41 am
He should be promoted to

He should be promoted to Principal.

YeCats
YeCats 12/02/11 - 09:48 am
.......and get elected to the

.......and get elected to the school board.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 12/02/11 - 10:19 am
You guys have to be kidding,

You guys have to be kidding, even if corporal punishment were policy; spanking for a low grade, missing a question or talking out of turn?

What would the guy do if one of them really misbehaved?

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 12/02/11 - 10:13 am
allhans, please explain your,

allhans, please explain your, "Oh, my!" I'm curious to know.

Nissanguy, you think a kid has broken some kind of rule because he doesn't know the answer to a question and you champion accused child molesters? Speechless.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 12/02/11 - 10:22 am
If trouble making children

If trouble making children had their tails kicked more often they would not end their teenage years in PRISON.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/02/11 - 10:22 am
Let us remember that the

Let us remember that the charges of assault & battery are allegations of 12-year-olds. They have been known to exaggerate. Let us let the story unfold a little.

Still, if the parents filed a police complaint, and the principal did not back up the teacher, the police had no choice but to arrest.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 12/02/11 - 10:46 am
Yes, LL, let us allow for

Yes, LL, let us allow for the unfolding of the story as well as the prediction on the boy's futures. Because they are twelve, does not mean that they are liars.

harley_52
harley_52 12/02/11 - 10:47 am
I think corporal punishment

I think corporal punishment should be "policy."

stillamazed
stillamazed 12/02/11 - 11:04 am
Me too harley52, I got

Me too harley52, I got punished in school and I turned out just fine and learned respect also. Not only could we get the paddle but we got our mouths washed out with soap if we said something we were not supposed to say. If this story is indeed true, not getting a good grade or missing a question is not reason to punish a child at school, that should come from home. I am always amazed at how some on here are so high on their horse that they can't see past the blinders. It must be nice to be so brilliant!

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 12/02/11 - 11:07 am
harley, love you, but I

harley, love you, but I disagree with you on this one. Physical punishment does not work on every child and at every age. It is also not effective in a positive way to have it administered by a stranger. It is the responsibility of the parents to decide. If students misbehave, there are alternative punishments.

The problem I see here is (if true) none of these offenses are even "spankable ones" from parent or otherwise.

I missed a question or two, I talked out of turn, infrequently, and sometimes didn't make the best grade that I was capable of....
I've been successful, productive and lawful. Spankings for this type of behavior creates nothing more than a shame based identity leading to much greater problems.

Did this teacher sit down individually with these boys and discuss the problems? Did this teacher ask for a parent conference?

The pendulum swings too WIDE for too many people.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 12/02/11 - 11:19 am
stillamazed, am I the one

stillamazed, am I the one high on my horse this a.m.?:) I hope not. Your post regarding your own life makes good sense. I am glad that you agree these are parent issues and not spankable offenses.

If you lay all other good reasons aside, there are just too many problems with sexual misconduct today, to allow adults to put their hands on your children's behinds.

In our generation, teachers spanked, so what? That would have had no bearing without a majority of two parent families in tact, guiding, loving and setting boundaries. Your parents raised you, not that school system.

Yeah, our generation of moms and dads! They not only raised us well, they taught us how to parent. It is handed down. We are now seeing the results of what is being handed down. The schools can't fix it.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 12/02/11 - 12:17 pm
Great story! Give this guy a

Great story! Give this guy a big fat raise!

Ahhhhhhhh........brings back many wonderful memories of school days.

A sound thrashing toughens the sinews and builds character! Spare the rod and spoil the child!

allhans
allhans 12/02/11 - 01:45 pm
I was surprised that a

I was surprised that a teacher would spank a child, he should have known better.
But, that doesn't mean that I don't approve of spanking. God knows something has to be done, the "now" thing is plainly not working.

Patty-P
Patty-P 12/02/11 - 02:43 pm
I would never agree with

I would never agree with spanking a child for a low grade. What if the child didn't understand the material? I think spanking should be a last resort for bad behavior and a deterrent for future misbehaving, not for bad grades. Todays method of 'time out' is overrated. Parents should do the spanking (if needed)in my opinion, not teachers or principles.

j-campbell
j-campbell 12/02/11 - 02:12 pm
In 9th grade at Paul Knox

In 9th grade at Paul Knox Junior High, depending on the severity of the offense, Principal Buren Lown, who later became superintendent of the North Augusta Area schools, gave us the choice of several weeks of after-school "community service" or several licks from his paddle, aptly named the "Board of Education." Most of my friends and I who were so stupid or so unfortunate as to be faced with that choice, inevitably chose four to six licks from the Board of Education, since the after-school work also involved a call to our parents to explain why we would be late coming home from school for the next couple of weeks.

I treasured my friendship with Buren Lown over the ensuing years and never bore him any ill will over his form of discipline because when administered, it was usually well deserved, and no, it was not for missing a question in class. It also was rarely required a second time.

Cadence
Cadence 12/02/11 - 02:17 pm
If the teacher broke the

If the teacher broke the rules he should be "spanked" too. However, having worked in the school system, teachers seldom reach this point of loss of control until the kids have driven them there. I think there is more to the story. I doubt they were spanked just for giving a wrong answer, I really do.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 12/02/11 - 02:25 pm
Allhans, thank you for your

Allhans, thank you for your reply. Would you have spanked your child for these issues?

In my opinion, there were many, more appropriate alternatives,i.e.,

Talking out could reap missing breaks or cleaning up after school.
Missing questions could reap additional homework.
Low grades is it's own punishment. But, perhaps, some encouragement and an offer of some after school help would be more helpful.

You are right that things aren't working. Schools are going to have to find a way to put "the problem" on the right persons...the parents. The parents then have to put "the problem" on their own kids. Schools are too much like government..trying to fix problems that aren't theirs.

Patty-P
Patty-P 12/02/11 - 02:44 pm
Cadence I don't think they

Cadence I don't think they were spanked for getting a bad grade either.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/02/11 - 02:50 pm
Willow, I agree with you that

Willow, I agree with you that for these offenses, it seems more productive punishment could have possibly been distributed and you're right nothing seems to be working. My issue is you stated schools need to find a way to put the problem on the parents, when I understand but reality is, the students don't respect the parents any more than they do the school administration. A majority of the kids come from homes with parent/parents who don't know how to raise children. So the school can put it on the parents but then the parents don't know what to do with it so they ignore it....problem will never be solved. I don't see it getting any better any time soon if ever.

stillamazed
stillamazed 12/02/11 - 03:00 pm
No Willow, just

No Willow, just generalizing....I think that some people have a hard time trying to see both sides of things....Also, I agree that the schools can't fix the problem with today's youth but in the same token I think that by defining all discipline such as this as child abuse has also been a part of the problem with today's youth. I mean when I was in school, I knew if I did something wrong that there would be punishment and I only got the strap from my principle one time, he opened up the palm of my hand, pulled it back and popped it 3 times...needless to say I never wanted it again and never got it again......children learn fast when they realize that no one can do anything to stop them from bad behavior so I am not against the discipline, just the circumstances of why this teacher supposedly did it.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 12/02/11 - 03:28 pm
ICL, "A majority of the kids

ICL, "A majority of the kids come from homes with parent/parents who don't know how to raise children."

**Let's teach them. Let's have a support group for parents of troubled children. Let's hold parents responsible for their children's behavior.

Let's have a student behavioral support group they must attend if they are a discipline problem.

"So the school can put it on the parents but then the parents don't know what to do with it so they ignore it....problem will never be solved."

***Ignoring it shouldn't be an option allowed by the schools. Good management sets the boundary and does what? Let's it go if not complied with? No, good mangement HOLDS the position until there is a different result.

" I don't see it getting any better any time soon if ever."

***No, it will not improve by doing the same things expecting a different result. We also have to expect to really work at it. Big problems are not quickly resolved and we must also expect to meet with resistance when we are seeking change.

Let me put it this way, if YOU are acting out and I am the one with the problem; what do you think the odds of you changing are? We have to find a way to put the problem where it belongs, hold the boundary, and offer educational opportunites for parenting. We have to be willing to INVEST in all involved in the problem.

The reason you all believe spankings work, is because you either had parents who set boundaries or you didn't, but there was someone else in your life settng boundaries and applying love with your discipline.

As to consequences and school discipline, I am ON BOARD, just not for corporal. Discipline them appropriately to match the event and be consistent in it. Reward good behaviors.

harley_52
harley_52 12/02/11 - 03:28 pm
Willow, it pains me to

Willow, it pains me to disagree with you, but here's how I see it.

First, the offenses. We don't know all the details. We don't know if those were the real reasons, or the context of the offenses. "Talking out of turn" might be an innocent offense, but it may also have been after being warned 50 times by the teacher and while shooting him the bird. I'm assuming there's a little more to it than the boys are saying.

Second, I think the "no spanking" laws/rules add to the problem. When I was a kid, teachers could (and did) spank. Some even punched. Some hit with rulers, yardsticks, or ping-pong paddles. They didn't do it all that often, but you KNEW they could and they WOULD if you gave them a good reason. So you didn't. And that you "didn't" is the key. You learned manners. Today's kids, not so much.

Smart mouths, rude, rolling eyes, disobedience without any fear of discipline from their teachers and without any fear of discipline at home. Kids now threaten their teachers and their parents with legal action and everybody is afraid to discipline the kids. It is, in my honest opinion, one of the reasons society has gone to hell.

NOBODY disciplines the kids.

I know, I know....you discipline your kids. I'm sure of it. But many/most don't and it's a big problem for society.

I think the little devils should live in fear that if they push it too far, they're going to pay a price. I'm not talking about brutality here, I'm talking about a good ol' fashioned slap on the behind.

Having been a 12 year old boy, I'm well aware of what they do and what a teacher "spanking" them can mean.

stillamazed
stillamazed 12/02/11 - 03:35 pm
Harley you are all on it

Harley you are all on it today and I agree....have a great weekend all.

City Ink: New board means more work for me

First Mayor-elect Hardie Davis will be sworn in, and the very next day the work will begin. Commissioners will meet and the gavel will fall. It will be a brand new day at City Hall.