Clayton cop arrested going 108 on motorcycle

A Clayton County police officer was arrested Thanksgiving night after authorities said he was clocked at over 100 mph on his motorcycle in Butts County.

“He thought he was being followed” by someone other than police, Butts County Sheriff Gene Pope told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

david jennings
david jennings 11/26/11 - 08:39 am
Being followed, yea, just

Being followed, yea, just getting his kicks I believe.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/26/11 - 08:53 am
I hope he wasn't chased at

I hope he wasn't chased at those speeds. Too dangerous.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/26/11 - 11:17 am
Well now I know what excuse

Well now I know what excuse to use next time I get caught speeding.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 11/26/11 - 01:17 pm
right, rm and pp. although i

right, rm and pp. although i personally don't think speeding cycles are as dangerous to others as speeding cars, i guess a law's a law. i just can't help wondering if that charge would have been dropped, although the dropping is valid i think, for anyone other than a cop.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 11/26/11 - 01:45 pm
Schizophrenia works at the

Schizophrenia works at the police department, also.

my.voice
my.voice 11/26/11 - 02:32 pm
He WAS being followed, by the

He WAS being followed, by the Grim Reaper at those speeds!

GaStang22
GaStang22 11/26/11 - 03:39 pm
The evading will be dropped,

The evading will be dropped, and if there is any evidence of the "bumping", the super speeder will be reduced to his regular ticket of his first clocked speed.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 11/26/11 - 04:37 pm
And who says the ticketing

And who says the ticketing officer will show up in court to testify against another cop?

proudgunowner
proudgunowner 11/26/11 - 05:57 pm
When I was 17 I was stopped

When I was 17 I was stopped for 105 in a 40 zone, but it was on a country road in Indiana. The officer was washing his car in his driveway when I went past his house. I stopped at a 4 way and then nailed the throttle knowing where the 1/4 mile line was on that road. When he stopped me he said that he knew I wasn't running from him because I stopped at the sign. He said he also understood what it was to be young and stupid with a motorcycle and followed me home and handed my license to my mother and told her what happened. No ticket and just a brief lecture from the officer. I was more sensible on rural roads after that and always made a point to beep and wave when I went past his house after that. He always waved back.....That was 38 years ago and I'm still riding and still bending the speed limits on occasion.....

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/26/11 - 08:19 pm
Interesting....

Interesting....

Bing0
Bing0 11/26/11 - 11:51 pm
Unbelievable! That a cop gave

Unbelievable! That a cop gave another cop a ticket... Not to mention a violation that could easily cost him his job. Evading was not mentioned in the article. I don't know how you can say you thought you were being followed by someone other than police whenever there are blue lights behind you. It is also amazing that he was arrested.

Vito45
Vito45 11/27/11 - 12:07 am
"Carter was charged with

"Carter was charged with violating the Georgia Super Speeder law -- an offense that warrants arrest, Pope said -- and evading an officer. The evading charge likely will be dropped given that Carter did stop when he was flashed, Pope said."

Former commissioner's case remains under review

While former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith's statements to Georgia State Patrol investigators likely can't be used against him, the state Office of the Inspector General continues to conduct ...