Downtown Augusta business catches fire

Friday, Nov. 25, 2011 12:42 AM
Last updated 12:50 AM

The Augusta-Richmond County Fire Department responded to a fire at Whistle Stop Cafe, 573 Greene St., around 8:30 p.m. Thursday, according to Richmond County dispatch.

Sheriff’s deputies stopped railroad traffic for 90 minutes while firefighters worked to put out the fire, dispatch said.

It took 11 minutes for firefighters to get the flames under control, although dispatch had no information about the extent of the fire.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 11/25/11 - 05:09 am
Now THAT really is terrible.

Now THAT really is terrible. That was a good place to get breakfast.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 11/25/11 - 05:26 am
BO, It was a good place for

BO,

It was a good place for lunch, too.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 11/25/11 - 08:36 am
i never understood how to

i never understood how to work that place. is it table service or counter service? is there a secret password?

smartasugarsugar
smartasugarsugar 11/25/11 - 10:13 am
man, that is bad news, me and

man, that is bad news, me and my family love to eat there when we go to Augusta. good atmosphere and good food, i hope it isn't badly burnt.

Vito45
Vito45 11/25/11 - 10:21 am
Sounds like I've been missing

Sounds like I've been missing something. Never heard of the place.

RogerDavis
RogerDavis 11/25/11 - 12:31 pm
My wife Lori, and I were

My wife Lori, and I were coming home from a Thanksgiving dinner last night around 10:00 and saw the commotion. At a glance it didn't seem to be too badly burned. I thought the place had closed down recently. Don't know if it had reopened or not.

j-campbell
j-campbell 11/25/11 - 12:34 pm
Vito, it is located at the

Vito, it is located at the corner of 6th and Greene, across Greene Street from the Municipal Building. A cafe-type restaurant (under various names) has been active in that location for over 30 years.

We passed there about 8:45 pm when the fire trucks and deputies were out in full force. Smoke appeared to be coming from a shed-like appendage at the rear of the main building. My wife and I speculated that perhaps some homeless person had sought shelter in the shed and maybe started a small fire for warmth and that fire got out of control -- just sheer speculation not based on any factual knowledge.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 11/26/11 - 12:35 am
I ate there last week when a

I ate there last week when a train that had been moving torturously, slowly, forward, stopped in the middle of town as it passed by the cafe and then started just as slowly backing up. Figured I might as well park the car, go in, sit down and enjoy a meal while I was waiting for the train to pass. The food was delicious and the service was good. By the time my food was served to me, the train finally started moving forward again. I hope they can repair the place.

Georgia to monitor potential Ebola travelers

The new screening comes on the heels of a decision to funnel all of the travelers from Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone to one of five airports where CDC and airports are conducting enhanced ...