A Batesburg man was pronounced dead Friday at the scene of a house fire, according to Aiken County coroner Tim Carlton.
George R. Corder of Fishhook Lane was discovered on a living room sofa after local fire departments were alerted by a neighbor at approximately 3 p.m. Friday.
Aiken County arson investigators have determined the origin of the fire was the kitchen stove, and Corder’s relatives said he has been known to leave cooking food left on the stove unattended.
Corder was declared dead by smoke inhalation.
Toxicology is pending and no foul play is suspected, Carlton said.