Black mamba snake bites man in south Ga.

KINGSLAND, Ga. -- A Florida man was taken to two hospitals after telling authorities he was bitten by a venomous black mamba that he was trying to purchase.

Wildlife officials with the Georgia Department of Natural Resources said 22-year-old John K. Rosenbaum, of Jacksonville, told them it happened about 2:30 p.m. Monday off Interstate 95 Exit 3 in Kingsland. During the sale, the snake got away briefly but was recaptured. Rosenbaum said that's when it bit him.

He was taken to Southeast Georgia Health System's Camden hospital before being transported to Shands Jacksonville. A Shands nursing supervisor said he has since been discharged.

Investigators from several agencies are pursuing all leads, including the reported seller. The Department of Natural Resources said no one in Georgia has a wild animal license for a black mamba, nor does Rosenbaum. Violations are punishable by up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 11/24/11 - 09:31 am
Are all young people mentally

Are all young people mentally disturbed, these days?

Vito45
Vito45 11/24/11 - 10:25 am
Just what we need, a black

Just what we need, a black mamba on the loose; glad he was recaptured. I think the punishment is too little for people trading in exotics. As far as I'm concerned, it should be against the law to possess any animal that is not native to the U.S. , and the penalty for violation should be steep. Just look at the problems in Florida with reptiles. They have 100,000+ Burmese pythons crawling around eating pets and native species. Then there are iguana and a couple of other varieties of big lizard, and several more species of large snake.

The good news is they are tropical animals intolerant to cold. The bad news is they are creeping north as they evolve to adapt to cooler weather.

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 11/24/11 - 10:38 am
Why would anyone want to own

Why would anyone want to own a "live" poisonous snake? When I was growing up I had a friend who had a pet rattler in an aquarium. He would milk it every now and then. One day while trying to milk it, it bit him. He got rid of the snake. An educated man now.

allhans
allhans 11/24/11 - 10:57 am
Why indeed. There are some

Why indeed. There are some strange people in this world.
I agree with Vito. No exceptions.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 11/24/11 - 10:57 am
"Nice snake........here

"Nice snake........here boy..........Aaaaaaaaaaarghhh!!"

The winner of this week's "Darwin Award".

harley_52
harley_52 11/24/11 - 11:18 am
If it had really been a black

If it had really been a black mamba that bit him, he wouldn't have been released so soon.

It was more than likely NOT a black mamba he was buying, but rather a harmless black snake, or blue racer somebody was passing off as a black mamba to a 22 year old wannabe snake expert who couldn't tell the difference.

"Darwin Award" potential for sure.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/24/11 - 11:56 am
I don't know harley_52.

I don't know harley_52. According to this he could have been bitten by a black mamba on Monday and already released from the hospital. This is the final paragraph of a guy in South Africa who detailed his black mamba snake bite and the onset of symptoms.

"These are all classic symptoms of a black mamba bite and the effects of a neurotoxic venom. The beauty of a neurotoxic venom is that unlike a cytotoxic venom, there is no residual effect. I was bitten on the Wednesday, Thursday I was out of hospital and catching snakes again."

happychimer
happychimer 11/24/11 - 12:06 pm
The black mamba is the most

The black mamba is the most deadly snake there is. I don't think he was bitten by a black mamba. I agree with harley. Now about other reptiles. My ball-python is not native to the US. He is our family pet, and we love him. Nobody, and I mean nobody, ia going to take him away from us. He does not bother anyone. He is not a big snake. You see him curled up in his water dish. I take him out of his cage everyday for a few hrs. and he stays around my neck and shoulders. If you have never had a reptile for a pet, you don't know what you are missing. My Rambo has his own personality, and is a pet just like a dog or cat is a pet.

tgentry
tgentry 11/24/11 - 12:09 pm
Black mambas are actually

Black mambas are actually brown in color. They get their name from the blue-black of the inside of their mouths, which they display when threatened.

Before the advent of black mamba antivenin, a bite from this fearsome serpent was 100 percent fatal, usually within about 20 minutes. Unfortunately, antivenin is still not widely available in the rural parts of the mamba’s range, and mamba-related deaths remain frequent.

Source http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/reptiles/black-mamba/

corgimom
corgimom 11/24/11 - 12:09 pm
Anybody foolish enough to buy

Anybody foolish enough to buy a black mambo by meeting someone in a parking lot deserves to be bit.

Let me rephrase that. Anybody foolish enough to buy a black mambo deserves to be bit, period.

That ranks right up there with the fools who want lions and tigers and leopards and wolves for "pets".

harley_52
harley_52 11/24/11 - 12:24 pm
tgentry is correct. Black

tgentry is correct. Black mambas aren't black, they're more like brown/green/gray in color. My mistake.

And dichotomy is right too. IF you survive the bite there aren't necessarily long term affects. But since it's one of the most deadly snakes in the world, it's a pretty big IF.

I still doubt he was bitten by a real black mamba.

bjphysics
bjphysics 11/24/11 - 12:27 pm
This article lists the black

This article lists the black mamba (SC LD50 of 0.185 mg/kg) as the 7th most deadly snake with inland taipan (SC LD50 of 0.025 mg/kg) being the most deadly. The article is wrong because it is well known the most aggressive and deadliest snake is the Cobra-Gator; the Cobra-Gator has an SC LD50 of 0.001 mg/kg and is the meanest creature on the planet. The creature has a cobra head on one end and a gator head on the other; as a result, the creature is unable to have a bowel movement and that’s what makes it so mean.

Vito45
Vito45 11/24/11 - 01:17 pm
He could have been bitten by

He could have been bitten by the snake and just had a dry bite, which is very common. Defensive strikes are often dry because the snake wants to save venom for prey.

Taylor B
Taylor B 11/24/11 - 01:33 pm
Horses arent native to the US

Horses arent native to the US either... bet they kill more folks than snakes a year too.

harley_52
harley_52 11/24/11 - 01:51 pm
I had no idea horses were

I had no idea horses were venomous.

drivenslow
drivenslow 11/24/11 - 02:18 pm
horses not native to the

horses not native to the united states taylor you are a very intelligent person there have been wild horses in the americas i do believe before we white people came in and STOLE ALL THE LAND FROM NATIVE AMERICANS....but if im wrong thats something i did not know so thanks ill have to read up on that i always thought wild mustangs were indigenous to america

drivenslow
drivenslow 11/24/11 - 02:26 pm
and with black mambas they

and with black mambas they are a one of the deadliest snakes in the world and the anti venom is very scarce so i doubt this was the snake

double_standard
double_standard 11/24/11 - 03:26 pm
Snakes on a plane was a

Snakes on a plane was a horrible movie.

tgentry
tgentry 11/24/11 - 03:52 pm
@Vito45 Black mambas are shy

@Vito45

Black mambas are shy and will almost always seek to escape when confronted. However, when cornered, these snakes will raise their heads, sometimes with a third of their body off the ground, spread their cobra-like neck-flap, open their black mouths and hiss. If an attacker persists, the mamba will strike not once, but repeatedly, injecting large amounts of potent neuro- and cardiotoxin with each strike.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 11/24/11 - 04:31 pm
Folks, if you don't like

Folks, if you don't like snakes, stay out of Florida and Louisiana.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 11/24/11 - 04:43 pm
Hydrophis Belcheri Sea Snake

Hydrophis Belcheri Sea Snake is the most venomous snake on the planet. (Source; http://kalyan-city.blogspot.com/2008/07/worlds-top-10-most-poisonous-ven...).

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 11/24/11 - 05:01 pm
Yeah, Taylor B, but can I

Yeah, Taylor B, but can I watch you saddle a black mamba?:)

Vito45
Vito45 11/24/11 - 05:24 pm
tgentry, not a snake on earth

tgentry, not a snake on earth ALWAYS injects venom with a defensive strike None. .

tgentry
tgentry 11/24/11 - 06:00 pm
@Vito45 I will not take your

@Vito45

I will not take your word for that. The mamba will strike not once, but repeatedly, injecting large amounts of potent neuro- and cardiotoxin with each strike.

This is straight from National Geo-Graphics. I will trust them more than I will you.

Also here is another article.

Africa has some of the most dangerous and venomous snakes in the world. Get your facts and information about the Black Mamba, Boomslang, Puff Adder, Gaboon Viper, Egyptian Cobra and more of Africa's deadly snakes. Find out what the different types of snake venom will do to the victims body.

Remember, fatalities from snake bites are quite rare and the vast majority of snakes are actually not venomous. Venomous snakes will often avoid humans, and if they bite they rarely inject their full venom load.

"Black Mamba, Africa's Deadliest, most venomous snake"CC
The Black Mamba (Dendroaspis polylepis) is one of Africa's most dangerous snakes and feared in East, Central and Southern Africa. It's aggressive when cornered and will not hesitate to strike. It can reach speeds of up to 12 mph (20 km/ph). It's the largest venomous snake in Africa with adults reaching an average of 8 feet in length (2.5m). Black Mamba's are not black at all, but brown/olive skinned. Their mouths are inky black which they show when threatened. Black Mambas live in savanna, scrub, tree hollows, and sometimes people's homes. If a Black Mamba encounters prey it can strike up to 12 times, each time delivering enough neuro and cardio-toxic venom to kill a dozen men within 1 hour. Without anti-venom, the mortality rate is 100%.

I note at the top it states Venomous snakes will often avoid humans, and if they bite they rarely inject their full venom load. It doesn't say it doesn't inject venom it just states not the full load

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 11/24/11 - 05:56 pm
I have killed a real mamba in

I have killed a real mamba in Sierra Leone, a five footer. They are dark brown in color and are FAST! I have also killed cobras there too, but by far that mamba was the scariest one. Fast, deadly and aggressive.

This guy is lucky for sure if is was in fact a real mamba.

What an idiot.

Vito45
Vito45 11/24/11 - 06:21 pm
"Roughly half of all venomous

"Roughly half of all venomous snake bites are "dry." That is, the snake does not inject venom into the victim." http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/health/zoonosis/animal/bites/informatio...
"Dry bites are referred to as “misses,” no venom injected due to the lack of venom, a glancing blow, or penetration could not occur because of the clothing worn by the individual. Dry bites account for about 20-30% of all snakebites."
"Any non-dry bite, with injection of venom,"- Which implies there ARE dry bites. http://www.venomoussnakes.net/blackmambasnake.htm

" These symptoms typically manifest within thirty minutes to four hours following the bite if envenomation occurred. Same implication here inre mamba bites.

I don't think I need to go on with a subject I've had a lifelong familiarity with.

tgentry
tgentry 11/24/11 - 06:31 pm
Same here. I'm not stating

Same here. I'm not stating that you do not know what you are talking about. I'm stating that I will not chance it regardless. I also doubt that the person bitten was bit by a black mamba. I still read antivenin is still not widely available in the rural parts of the mamba’s range. Well the US certainly is not in the Mambas range. I would doubt any hospital in Georgia or Florida carries the antivenin.

blues550
blues550 11/24/11 - 06:49 pm
OK. You have all impressed

OK. You have all impressed each other with your authoritarian gibberish about snakes but ALL of you have missed the point - this whole incident was the fault of George Bush & Company.

corgimom
corgimom 11/24/11 - 10:56 pm
How many of you actually have

How many of you actually have been bitten by a snake?

I have- picked up a corn snake, didn't hold its head tight enough. Ouch.

TK3
TK3 11/24/11 - 11:11 pm
Had a BIG black snake on

Had a BIG black snake on property that like to be petted but I was careful even with it but for all others I give a wide berth.
Sad but unless you know what you are doing best keep away from all-snakes (or politicians) in the grass.