Gunman sought after Bleakley Street shooting

Authorities have responded to the 1600 block of Bleakley Street for a shooting.

According to Richmond County dispatch, one person is reporting injuries in the shooting that occurred at 9:46 a.m.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/23/11 - 12:26 pm
Everyday the same thing.

Everyday the same thing.

countyman
19718
countyman 11/23/11 - 02:48 pm
90% of the crime articles are

90% of the crime articles are always related to Richmond County. The Chronicle reports retail opens, SAT scores, etc but rarely crime outside of Richmond County.. The shooting yesterday in the Monetta area of Aiken County is a perfect example..

Diffrent crimes do happen everday, but there's definitely not a shooting were somebody is injured daily.. There's not even a shooting every week in Augusta.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 11/23/11 - 03:31 pm
Next...

Next...

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 11/23/11 - 04:46 pm
Glad you noticed that

Glad you noticed that NissanGuy08. I made the same point to countyman not too long ago. If he can't understand something that basic (that the Augusta Chronicle would primarily be the AUGUSTA Chronicle), no wonder he keeps talking in circles.

corgimom
corgimom 11/23/11 - 05:18 pm
"90% of the crime articles

"90% of the crime articles are always related to Richmond County."

That is downright funny.

Many of us have made that point to Countyman.

corgimom
corgimom 11/23/11 - 05:20 pm
"Diffrent crimes do happen

"Diffrent crimes do happen everday, but there's definitely not a shooting were somebody is injured daily"-

We get that too, otherwise there would be 365 shootings in Augusta, and there isn't.

Stating the obvious. Well, maybe obvious to the rest of us.

corgimom
corgimom 11/23/11 - 05:26 pm
Now, this part- "There's not

Now, this part- "There's not even a shooting every week in Augusta."- Countyman, how do you know that? Do you go to RCSO and review every arrest report?

Because as of Oct 2012, there were 20 homicides and 178 arrests for aggrevated assault.

I say, that yes, on the average, there is at least one shooting a week in Augusta. There's a REASON why the trauma unit at GHSU and the ER at University never lacks for patients.

corgimom
corgimom 11/23/11 - 05:54 pm
And Countyman, I want you to

And Countyman, I want you to think about this:

I am the first female sheriff of Stayberry. I have 10 officers. Each one makes 2 arrests per month, and 10 citizens report crimes such as burglary, assault, etc. for a total of 30 cases. I know that there is also a lot of unreported crime, because I'm intelligent and I know that for every crime reported, there's a whole lot more that aren't, for all sorts of reasons.

Then the commission decides that they are going to cut my budget. I now have 8 officers making 2 arrests each per month. The citizens, who are well aware that I am understaffed, are alarmed. The criminals, who knew even before my budget cut that there weren't enough officers to keep up with all the crime, are thrilled with the news.

The criminals, knowing that their odds of being arrested have dropped (and their odds of not getting caught were already pretty good) are elated, and increase their criminal activity.

So now I have 16 arrests per month plus 10 citizens reporting crimes. I have 26 total cases per month.

Hey, great news! Crime has dropped! This is a good thing, right?

But it HASN"T dropped. I am so crippled for manpower that I know that crime hasn't dropped, it's actually increased, but because I'm so short on officers, I don't have enough people to investigate crimes and arrest people.

The citizens, who by personal experience, know that calls aren't answered and that the chance of someone being arrested is practically nil, stop reporting crimes. It's a pointless waste of time. Only 2 people report a crime.

Even better! Now I'm down to 18 crimes per month! Wow, am I a great sheriff or what? I announce in the local paper, the Disgusta Chronical Complainer, that crime is down! I put the local statistics on my website. Hey, look what a great job I'm doing!

But...crime really hasn't dropped at all. It's worse than ever. If I could get the officers that I needed- if I could get 15 officers, each making 2 arrests, that would be 32 cases, and since I was arresting criminals, crime would REALLY and TRULY drop- because the criminals would know that I had a lot of officers and their odds of being arrested would skyrocket. Citizens would report more crime, because they would have confidence that 1) an officer would actually come talk to them and 2) the case might be solved.

The citizens, knowing that I was finally starting to overcome the criminals, would see the results and demand that their commissioners hire even more officers, because results don't lie. Stayberry would become known for good, proactive police protection, people would want to live in my municipality, employers would want to locate there- and life would be good, and safe, for all.

If only.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/23/11 - 06:15 pm
Well, countyman, using the

Well, countyman, using the Monetta example may be a little bit of a stretch. Even though it's not that far away, I imagine that many who read this don't know much, if anything about Monetta. I imagine it may have been the first shooting in Monetta in awhile, but I don't know that for a fact.

Augusta Chronicle does report crimes in other places though, the Nail Salon fight near Atlanta, for example. Lately, I've noticed they've reported a number of crimes in N. Augusta and Columbia county. I think you just don't like for any crimes that are commited in ARC to be reported.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 11/23/11 - 07:20 pm
corgimom; Crime has gone

corgimom; Crime has gone up
We agree crime has gone up so many have just given up they don't even report crime anymore. Thank God you've got Crime Stoppers 800 CRIME SC there don't you?

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/23/11 - 07:19 pm
I don't report anything

I don't report anything either because the criminals, dealers, etc never go to jail. A kid broke my window and I had someone mention that I was causing more problems for the kid by reporting it. HUH??? What about MY problem?

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 11/23/11 - 07:26 pm
My budies and i have always

My budies and i have always made it a sport to track our stuff down. i engrave or paint my phone number on everthing so when not if they steal it people call me before they buy my stuff from the guy or gal who stole it.. Or you can get Gadget Trac whichs takes a picture & sends the location of your laptop or iphone etc.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/23/11 - 10:16 pm
CRRTV....it doesn't work that

CRRTV....it doesn't work that way when stuff is sold/resold in the streets. And you would think pawn shops would have a way to track stolen stuff but they are in on the money game too. I hear there are a few places burglars take stolen goods to that are not your legit 'pawn shops'. They take the stuff there and get a quick buck for drugs or rims or whatever.

countyman
19718
countyman 11/23/11 - 11:54 pm
Corgimom... I know police

Corgimom... I know police officers and detectives who work for RC.. The definition of aggravated assault is the attempt to cause bodily harm with a deadly weapon.

People can use a pen, pencil, baseball bat, steak knife, metal pole, tire iron, razor blade, etc and be chared with aggravated assault..

Shootings aren't the only type of aggravated assault..

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/24/11 - 12:14 am
'Shootings aren't the only

'Shootings aren't the only type of aggravated assault..'
...and so that emphasizes the fact that Augusta has plenty of crime every single day. Perhaps the shootings are reported by the media more often, but I guarantee somebody is charged with aggravated assault on an almost daily basis.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 11/24/11 - 11:02 am
What a great

What a great article.........LOL!

Not!!

Paine plans furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs

Paine College President George C. Bradley on Friday announced the college will implement furlough days, salary reductions and layoffs to save $2.4 million over the next fiscal year.