Ex-SC DMV worker stole $250,000

Wednesday, Nov. 23, 2011 7:03 AM
Last updated 1:31 PM

COLUMBIA — A South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles worker who confessed to taking more than $250,000 from the agency has been sentenced to 18 months in prison.

A judge also ordered 40-year-old Wendy Gaskins on Tuesday to pay back the money she stole.

Gaskins pleaded guilty in August to theft concerning programs receiving federal funds.

Prosecutors say Gaskins took advantage of her job as facilities manager for the DMV to create a fake company that the agency paid for work.

Authorities say Gaskins used the money she took for home renovations and to pay her mortgage.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 11/23/11 - 08:47 am
I believe I'd trade 548 days

I believe I'd trade 548 days at $456.20 per day. Restitution will be nearly impossible unless georgy scwharz ( george soros ) donates to one of his uber liberal causes, theft.

D.B.
D.B. 11/23/11 - 09:25 am
18 months!! Uhmm. Wendy

18 months!! Uhmm. Wendy gaskins ok its all in the name.

my.voice
my.voice 11/23/11 - 12:42 pm
Part of her parole should be

Part of her parole should be to stand in line at the DMV on Fridays from 8am until closing.

And someone at DMV should be canned for allowing this to happen.

corgimom
corgimom 11/23/11 - 04:34 pm
She had help, there is no way

She had help, there is no way that someone can do this for that length of time without somebody else involved.

When there is collusion, it is nearly impossible to detect. I wonder how she got caught- usually it's when someone that knows, a family member or exspouse- turns them in.

Then there's this- "Gaskins' husband works for the State Transport Police, but he is not being investigated. Investigators say he had no knowledge of the alleged crime."

Uh, really? If my spouse all of a sudden had an extra $260,000 in 15 months, I'd know something was wrong.

corgimom
corgimom 11/23/11 - 04:34 pm
My guess is that the husband

My guess is that the husband turned her in.