Augusta man burned at Martinez business dies

Thursday, Nov. 10, 2011 10:08 AM
Last updated 11:39 AM
  • Follow Latest News

An Augusta man burned last month while working at a Martinez glass business died Monday.

Jesse James Crosby, 40, was severely burned on his head, arms and torso on Oct. 26 as he worked at O’Brien’s Glass at 3842 Washington Road.

Owner Dave O’Brien said Crosby was working on laminated glass using denatured alcohol and a flame. The can of alcohol exploded. Crosby ran through the shop until a colleague used a fire extinguisher.

Crosby was taken to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center, where he died Monday from complications from the burn and respiratory injuries he received in the explosion, Columbia County Coroner Vernon Collins said Thursday.

Comments (6) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
Crime Reports and Rewards TV
33
Points
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 11/10/11 - 11:32 am
0
0
If you ever catch fire, Stop,

If you ever catch fire, Stop, Drop and Roll.

David, hate to hear about this tragedy at your place old friend, hope everything else is going OK.

InChristLove
22473
Points
InChristLove 11/10/11 - 11:54 am
0
0
Such sad news.

Such sad news.

farrowtrent
0
Points
farrowtrent 11/10/11 - 12:28 pm
0
0
To Mr.O'Brien and the family

To Mr.O'Brien and the family of Mr. Cosby, you have my deepest sympathies. It must be hard to lose such a close family member.

stillamazed
1488
Points
stillamazed 11/10/11 - 01:25 pm
0
0
Most people tend to panic out

Most people tend to panic out of fear, it is human nature. So sad to hear this, prayers to his family.

corgimom
32500
Points
corgimom 11/10/11 - 07:12 pm
0
0
"Owner Dave O’Brien said

"Owner Dave O’Brien said Crosby was working on laminated glass using denatured alcohol and a flame. The can of alcohol exploded. Crosby ran through the shop until a colleague used a fire extinguisher."

Am I the only one who cringed when reading this paragraph? The way it's written, the can of alcohol exploded, then Crosby- for some inexplicable reason- ran through the shop (was he scared, felt like getting some exercise, what?? ) until a colleague used a fire extinguisher- (on who, or what, and why?), and then Crosby did- what?

It's hard to respect the AC when they allow such poorly-written stories to appear in their paper. What are the quality standards of the AC? Don't people take pride in their work anymore?

Riverman1
84011
Points
Riverman1 11/10/11 - 07:15 pm
0
0
Articles about this tragedy

Articles about this tragedy have been poorly written since the first one.

Back to Top

Top headlines

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.
Search Augusta jobs