Augusta man dies after bicycle struck on 15th Street

Thursday, Nov. 10, 2011 8:31 AM
Last updated 10:49 PM

A 51-year-old Augusta man died Wednesday after being struck while riding his bicycle earlier in the evening.

According to Richmond County sheriff’s Maj. Richard Weaver, Parnell Davis ran a red light on his bicycle at Laney Walker Boulevard around 7:30 p.m. and was struck by a 2000 Chrysler Voyager van driven by Christopher Williams, 43, of Augusta.

Williams was traveling north on Laney Walker Boulevard through the green light at 15th Street when the incident occurred. The driver was not found at fault, Weaver said.

Davis was transported to the hospital where he later died as a result of this injuries at 11 p.m.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 11/10/11 - 12:22 pm
Didn't we have a judge named

Didn't we have a judge named E. Purnell Davis? Any relation?

david jennings
david jennings 11/10/11 - 07:27 pm
So another person has lost

So another person has lost his life riding a bicycle. Not many comments on this tragedy. Not many comments on a young lady giving her time and talent to benefit the less fortunate among us this Sat. either.

Vito45
Vito45 11/10/11 - 07:45 pm
I guess the reason there was

I guess the reason there was not a lot of comment is there is no controversy here. The cyclist ran the light and got hit, no fault of the motorist, and no real relationship to the ongoing debate about bikes vs cars.

just a comment or two
just a comment or two 11/10/11 - 11:20 pm
Purnell went by his middle

Purnell went by his middle name, Clarence. He visited me at my business downtown often the last two years. He was estranged from his family and had no one . Clarence picked up cans, asked for odd jobs, and had great stories to try to get a few dollars. He was a good friend. I will miss your smile Clarence!

macktaylor
macktaylor 11/11/11 - 12:20 am
Well the comment should be

Well the comment should be that everywhere I see bicyclists they are constantly ignoring traffic laws, get in the way of heavy vehicles during rush hour traffic, etc. Common sense has simply escaped. The truth of the matter is that there are too many people driving distracted on their cell phones while driving. I expect that we are going to continue to see serious bicycle injuries. I believe they have a right to be on the roadway because the law says that they do, however they take a big risk in bicycling on busy roadways. It does you no good after you are dead to say to the motorist that you had the right of way. Bicyclists need to exercise more caution and not just simply expect that cars are going to get out of their way.

jayannjackson
jayannjackson 11/11/11 - 05:58 pm
My prayers to those who knew

My prayers to those who knew and loved Clarence. He came to GAP on GREENE on Sunday evenings for Christian Fellowship and a meal. Many from this ministry will miss him.

I pray for wide streets, alert motorists, wise cyclists and all of us to exercise more caution.

Vito45
Vito45 11/11/11 - 06:42 pm
macktaylor, again, your

macktaylor, again, your comments are more relevant to the ongoing bike vs motorist hoo hah than to this specific instance. This poor man would be just as dead if he had been on a motorcycle running a red light.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 11/11/11 - 06:57 pm
Very sad. Poor fellow. My

Very sad. Poor fellow. My condolences to those who loved him.

Vogtle workers see both reactor projects

Some veterans of the nuclear industry were at the site south of Augusta to see the complex network of rebar and concrete rising out of the ground in the 1970s and ’80s. Now, they are back.