'Local Legends' to open at museum

The Augusta Museum of History on Friday will present 'Local Legends,' a permanent exhibition celebrating the talent of local entertainers, musicians, singers, authors, athletes, journalists and other notable personalities.

The exhibit is made possible by the Porter Flem­ing Foun­dation, Potash Corp., and former Gov. Carl E. San­ders.

The exhibit is free with museum admission, which is $4 for adults, $3 for seniors, $2 for ages 6-18 and free for children 5 and younger.

The museum is at 560 Reynolds St. For more information, call (706) 722-8454 or visit augustamuseum.org.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/24/11 - 07:15 am
I wish there was a list of

I wish there was a list of the people. You know kind of like Wiki does with notable people.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/24/11 - 07:24 am
Now this will be

Now this will be interesting......river do you think "you " might be on that list?
We know James Brown will be---some actors maybe...singers...famous golfers---Larry Mize---I would like to see the list.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/24/11 - 07:36 am
I should have been considered

I should have been considered for the list. New age journalism. Prolific poster on the Chronicle who single handedly has been banned more than anyone has a right. Cyber warrior against crime and corruption extraordinaire. A modern day Jimmy Olsen of Superman fame running around wearing a fedora with the front brim turned up and a "Press" tag stuck there.

We should have you in there, too, SeenIt. But you'll make it anyway after you write your great novel set in Augusta.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/24/11 - 07:42 am
Speaking of the Porter

Speaking of the Porter Fleming Foundation, I still want to see the list of winners of the short story writing contest and a link to where we can read the stories. The awards ceremony was held in Oct. They foolishly didn't choose me...heh.

But, seriously, it's a great event that encourages the writers in the region. It would be nice to read something about the contest. I've been in one of those before with another southern paper and they come out and interview the winners and even print the stories with the authors' comments.

dashiel
dashiel 10/24/11 - 07:56 am
I believe these are local

I believe these are local legends, not "legends." Paper downsizing would prohibit a listing of Augustans who are merely legends in their own minds. Washington and Scott Tissue wouldn't have enough paper for a list that long.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/24/11 - 08:18 am
Dang..I'm speechless...some

Dang..I'm speechless...some names of legends..
Laurence Fishburne---Hulk Hogan---Butterfly McQueen---Vernon Forrest---Deon Grant---Charles Howell3rd---Joseph Still---Stephen Vincent Benet---Dr TW Josey---Tirri Gibbs---Amy Grant---Jesseye Norman---Ben Bernanke---Woodrow Wilson.....WOW---many more on list!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/24/11 - 08:20 am
SeenIt, where did you find

SeenIt, where did you find the list?

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/24/11 - 08:20 am
You mean they forgot Austin?

You mean they forgot Austin? Heh, heh, heh.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/24/11 - 08:30 am
Google is a wonderful thing

Google is a wonderful thing river------it isn't the official list---
Just Google Famous Augusta Georgia people....
btw...I did not see riverman1 on there ANYWHERE!!!

But I woud like to see some of your short stories---if you can't put them on here--please email them......thanks

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/24/11 - 08:35 am
Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 10/24/11 - 08:58 am
seenitb4, did Brenda Lee make

seenitb4, did Brenda Lee make the list? Augusta seems to forget about her.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 10/24/11 - 09:00 am
oh, yeah, seenit, define

oh, yeah, seenit, define "flirty"...

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/24/11 - 09:05 am
I didn't see Brenda

I didn't see Brenda Lee....

1. To toss or flip suddenly.
2. To move quickly.
define flirty....lol....that is one definition....can you run faster than a granny???...Gotta runnnow...catch you in the pm....lubs ya..:)

belle
belle 10/24/11 - 09:25 am
Joe Penny

Joe Penny

Keith Claussen
Keith Claussen 10/24/11 - 09:54 am
Riverman, here are the

Riverman, here are the fiction winners in the Porter Fleming Competition. None in that category were local.
Fiction judge was Cecelia Tichi, author and William R. Kenan Professor of English at Vanderbilt University.
First Place - Paul Byall, Savannah, GA: "Do You Remember Me?"
Second Place - Dot Jackson, Pickens, SC: "Postcards from Paradise"
Third Place - Morris Smith, Valdosta, GA: "Thirty-Two"

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/24/11 - 01:42 pm
Keith, I appreciate it.

Keith, I appreciate it.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/24/11 - 03:12 pm
Keith Claussen, sorry to

Keith Claussen, sorry to trouble you again, but do you have links to the actual winning stories anywhere? I'd like to read them.