Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Troy Davis clemency denied

ATLANTA -- Death-penalty opponents trying to stop Troy Davis’ Wednesday evening execution aren’t being stymied by today’s decision by the Board of Pardons and Paroles to deny him clemency.

Instead, some of his supporters are calling on prison workers to strike and refuse to carry out court orders for the lethal injection scheduled for 7 p.m.

The board met for three hours Monday with Davis’ attorneys and supporters -- including one juror who now regrets giving him a death sentence. After lunch, the five-member board spent another four hours hearing from prosecutors and the family of the off-duty Savannah policeman Davis is convicted of shooting to death, Mark MacPhail.

The board issued an unusual statement explaining it recognized the emotions involved and had not taken the responsibility lightly.

“Since 2000, the board has commuted three death-penalty cases. In considering clemency in such cases, the board weighs each case on its own merit,” the statement said. “They have considered the totality of the information presented in this case and thoroughly deliberated on it, after which the board’s decision was to deny clemency.”

Shortly after the parole board made its brief announcement by email, one came from Senate Democratic Whip Vincent Fort of Atlanta and Sara Totonchi, executive director of the Atlanta-based Southern Center for Human Rights.

“The courts and the parole board have failed to use their power to prevent this imminent miscarriage of justice,” the pair said. “However, Troy Davis’ execution cannot take place unless human beings at the Georgia Diagnostic & Classifications Prison make it happen. They can refuse to kill Troy Davis.”

They are calling for a general strike or “sick out” by all but a skeleton staff at the prison in Jackson that houses death row. They also issued personal challenges by name to the warden, deputy warden and one of the doctors reported to be hired to certify death after lethal injections.

“Each and every one of you are human beings with the power to refuse and resist participation in an immoral execution of a man who may be innocent,” the pair said. “We implore you to use this power.”

Amnesty International and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People held a morning press conference at Ebenezer Baptist Church, less than a mile from the parole board offices. They called for Savannah District Attorney Larry Chisolm to request that Chatham County Superior Court Judge Penny House Freesemann vacate the death warrant, but they haven’t recently met with him to deliver their message.

The groups also plan a demonstration on the steps of the state Capitol and are asking sympathizers to wear black arm bands Wednesday with the message “not in my name.”

“It is unconscionable that the Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles has denied relief to Troy Davis,” said Larry Cox, executive director of Amnesty International. “Allowing a man to be sent to death under an enormous cloud of doubt about his guilt is an outrageous affront to justice.”

Proponents of the death penalty didn’t let opponents hold center stage alone.

Jerry Luquire, president of the Georgia Christian Coalition, issued a statement in support of the clemency denial.

“In the murder of Mark MacPhail 21 years ago, the Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles has made the only decision it could render if we are going to be governed by the rule of law. The board refused to substitute the emotions of those who disagree with the verdict with more than 20 years of legal decisions upholding the guilt and sentence of Troy Davis,” he said.

realitycheck09
realitycheck09 09/20/11 - 02:32 pm
um, happychimer...who are

um, happychimer...who are these people that murdered and got a slap on the wrist? Susan Smith is locked up for the rest of her life. She was also mentally incompetent according to anyone who evaluated her. Should we execute the insane, too?

=============

But, to be clear...I don't think Davis is not guilty. But I also don't think we should execute anyone because our system is flawed.

Vito45
Vito45 09/20/11 - 02:32 pm
What did Judge Moore rule on?

What did Judge Moore rule on? Was it whether or not the trial was procedurally "fair"? If so, I do not think that is in question. The thing in question IMO is whether or not the jury made a decision based on accurate evidence. Honestly, given the few facts I've read about, as a juror I could not sentence a person to death on it. Even with the bullet matching one from an earlier shooting, it is still possible one of Davis' running mates used it later. Death penalty cases IMO should have a stricter set of guidelines for presumption of guilt. Again, that is just my opinion; that and $1.07 will get you a double cheeseburger at McDonald's.

happychimer
happychimer 09/20/11 - 02:33 pm
And we are suppose to trust

And we are suppose to trust Judge Moore? Why? Is he a saint? Too many guilty have been turned loose on our streets, and who turned them loose? Judges!

happychimer
happychimer 09/20/11 - 02:36 pm
Jurors are saying that if

Jurors are saying that if they had to make a decision today, they would find Davis not guilty, because of the witnesses .

happychimer
happychimer 09/20/11 - 02:39 pm
reality read the news. It

reality read the news. It seems like it is open season on children. If they are not murdered, they are injured by adults who know better.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/20/11 - 02:41 pm
Jane if you don't like my

Jane if you don't like my comments then that's just too bad. I have a right to my opinion. I'm not saying Georgians are backwards I'm saying the system is.

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/20/11 - 02:42 pm
Vito, I understand it is your

Vito, I understand it is your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it. But, you should read Judge Moore's comments on why he rejected the appeal. It is much more than procedural fairness.

Ushouldnthave
Ushouldnthave 09/20/11 - 02:52 pm
He was convicted and

He was convicted and sentenced. He has had 20 YEARS of judicial review up to the Supreme Court and his conviction and sentence has been affirmed REPEATEDLY. He IS guilty and no amount of Amnesty International propaganda will convince me otherwise.
Some may not be convinced, but the 12 that counted and the justices that followed them are convinced. May justice be done for society and the officers family.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 09/20/11 - 02:56 pm
It is so sad that so many

It is so sad that so many feel that it is better to kill a man who may have a remote chance of being innocent to send a message (which statistics show does not curb murder, the murder rate is not lowered in states with the death penalty) than to give him life in prison. The system is flawed, in Texas they executed a man who they knew did not pull the trigger because he pled not guilty and went to trial, while the actual murderer sits in jail for life alive. A disproportionate number of minority males are given the death penalty for murders that are almost identical or in many cases less severe than their white counterparts. As has already been mentioned, Susan Smith got prison planning and carrying out the first degree murder of two innocent babies. It costs many times more to go through the death penalty process than to keep the inmate in prison for life, so it has nothing to do with money.

There is too much sketchiness in this case to warrant killing the man. And then the USA will act as it always does and point a finger against other countries for the same human rights abuses.

"I find it interesting that a group calling itself the "Georgia Christian Coalition" would approve of the taking of another man's life. That really bothers me. I just can't picture Jesus with a picket sign marching outside the prison walls demanding this man's death." Absolutely

realitycheck09
realitycheck09 09/20/11 - 02:58 pm
happychimer...like who? Who

happychimer...like who? Who is convicted of murder and gets a 'slap on the wrist?' I've been around courts my whole life and I can't think of a single example of it.

Granddaddy John
Granddaddy John 09/20/11 - 03:06 pm
My question is,when its a

My question is,when its a black person that has been shot are going to be put to death in prison all these people and groups come out in full force.But you never see this when its a white person.I have seen this in this town many times.Anyone have the answer to this.

Jammer1453
Jammer1453 09/20/11 - 03:21 pm
Just to think he real killer

Just to think he real killer can come forward after the killing of Mr.Davis an say..I kill the cop and guess what cant nothing be done about it bc they"cop wife and mother " said he did it. How can Ga allow this to happen with so much doubt..just goes to show if you a black man accuse of killing a white man in the state of Ga..YOU ARE GUITY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT...Go with God speed Mr.Davis..I'm praying for you and your family..

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/20/11 - 03:29 pm
When does three jurors

When does three jurors constitute "most"?

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 09/20/11 - 03:44 pm
realitycheck09, I'll fill

realitycheck09, I'll fill in for happychimer....Anyone who sits in a climate controlled, three meals a day, with a shower, bed, TV, recreational room, gym, playground and conjugal visits instead of facing the same fate as their victims has in my humble opinion received the "slap on the wrist".

And yes, if we are going to give the death penalty to anyone, Susan Smith should have been on the top of the list. Killing by parent verses stranger would have to be the worst possible of all crimes.

As to the ones who want to get all maverick over Smith being insane, yeah, I do think it is crazy to kill your children, so what.

realitycheck09
realitycheck09 09/20/11 - 03:45 pm
Willow - agree to disagree,

Willow - agree to disagree, but fair enough.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 09/20/11 - 03:51 pm
Don't y'all know by now; All

Don't y'all know by now; All murderers confess. Lawyers just defend them because they have nothing better to do.

Haki
Haki 09/20/11 - 03:52 pm

Thank God for the rules against hearsay evidence. People like Yak would Deputy Fife everyone accused. As for you others who seem to live in medieval times, I pray you will find some peace and happiness in life.

hounddog
hounddog 09/20/11 - 03:53 pm
shrimp, 'I keep forgetting I

shrimp, 'I keep forgetting I live in Georgia where all the rednecks get off on killing whether innocent or not.’
Most of the killing in GA is done by blacks mostly on other blacks. Are you calling those blacks that seem too ‘get off on killing whether innocent or not’ rednecks?

david jennings
david jennings 09/20/11 - 03:56 pm
That is a pretty offensive

That is a pretty offensive post shrimp.Well Im born and raised in Ga. and the people of Mass. sure wont be bothered with me,why are Georgians bothered with you?Must couldnt get a job in Mass.Goodbye

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/20/11 - 04:25 pm
specsta, In a statement

specsta, In a statement Tuesday, the Georgia Christian Coalition said the parole board made the only decision it could, given the laws of the land.

In the murder of Mark MacPhail 21 years ago, the Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles has made the only decision it could render if we are going to be governed by the rule of law. The board refused to substitute the emotions of those who disagree with the verdict with more than 20 years of legal decisions upholding the guilt and sentence of Anthony Davis. Make no mistake - this is not a good day for his victim's family either as their loss also is forever on this earth.

I fail to see in this statement where the Georgia Christian Coalition has approved or disapproved of the execution of Troy Davis. I believe they have stated if we are going to govern by man's law then they had no other choice to make the decision they did. I don't believe this GCC has stated one way or another if they believe in executing Troy Davis or not. I would hope that they would be against it but we are not govern by God's law so we must follow man's law.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 09/20/11 - 04:31 pm
Am pleasantly surprised that

Am pleasantly surprised that the BPP members had the guts to withstand the pressures imposed upon them by death penalty opponents. Hope their phone numbers and addresses cannot be found in the public domain.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/20/11 - 04:48 pm
By the way I'm from

By the way I'm from Charleston SC which is about as southern as you can get. I'm also a redneck. i'm only going to Mass for work. I love the South. I don't care for the north. I'm sorry my post ruffled some feathers. I'll try extra hard to just stick to the facts and not put anyone down. Please forgive me. Can we just bury the hatchet. I was wrong I admit it and I'll be more sensitive in the future.

IsAnyoneAlwaysRight
IsAnyoneAlwaysRight 09/20/11 - 04:51 pm
Does anyone really care what

Does anyone really care what Austin Rhodes opinion is? Why so many posts on a newspaper, use your radio stations web dude!

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 09/20/11 - 05:17 pm
shrimpforbreakfast, sorry to

shrimpforbreakfast, sorry to hear you are leaving our area. I know you will miss Charleston so much; I love that city. Good luck on your new job, and please keep one foot planted in the South and don't stop posting with us as many enjoy your contribution. I particularly appreciate your honesty and willingness to be relational and walk in humility. You appear to be real and I like that in a person.

mangum
mangum 09/20/11 - 05:26 pm
my only real question here is

my only real question here is ," would he have gotten the death penalty for killling a homeless man or a drug addict!!

mcdubbs
mcdubbs 09/20/11 - 05:44 pm

Thank god this should have been taken care of the day after the crime. Light him up

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/20/11 - 06:01 pm
Carpe, I am not in favor of

Carpe, I am not in favor of the death penality. My comments are around his guilt vs innocence. He had ample time to prove his innocence and failed to do so. A Federal Judge issued a 300 page decision on the case. Have you read it?

happychimer
happychimer 09/20/11 - 06:41 pm
I am not going to research

I am not going to research all the cases of child abuse and murders. It hurts me too much, and I will not put myself through that. I will say that just because a woman murders or abuses her kids does not mean she is insane. It does mean that she is mean as you know what.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/20/11 - 06:43 pm
Thank you Willow! I really

Thank you Willow! I really enjoy talking with everyone on this site. I guess I just had a bad day. Thanks to the internet I will be able to keep in touch with you folks. I really do love Augusta. There's just something about it. When I first moved here I thought I was going to hate it but boy was I wrong!

Jake
Jake 09/20/11 - 07:41 pm
Yes, and we have Mary Winkler

Yes, and we have Mary Winkler the wife of a preacher who blew a hole in her husband with a shotgun (makes a lot of noise) while their children are in the house and heard it. She gets off with time served (imagine that) only a few months. Now there is a case of justice if I ever heard it. His crime? Mental cruelty for asking an account of their finances and asking her to be a little more sexy when they make love. Yep, cause for death in the south for sure!

2.1% inflation expected

ATLANTA -- Business executives in the Southeast see inflation a little higher than the Federal Reserve does, according to a survey released Friday.