Augusta loses 2,200 jobs in July

Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 10:54 AM
Last updated 7:16 PM

The number of job in the Augusta metro area declined 2,200 in July, according to numbers released this morning by Georgia's labor department.

Most of the job losses come in the government sector. According to the state, there were 1,500 local government jobs lost in the months and 300 state jobs lost. Federal employment added 100 jobs to the metro area.

The metro area also lost 400 jobs in retail, 200 in leisure and hospitality, and 100 in professional and business services.

A gain was seen in health and construction sectors, 100 jobs each, according to the labor department.

Statewide, Georgia lost 28,400 jobs in July, most of them coming from the Atlanta area. Other metro areas seeing jobs losses were Valdosta, Warner Robbins, Dalton and Rome.

Athens, Albany, Columbus, Savannah and Macon had job growth.

Compared to July 2010, Augusta is down by 2,600 jobs, with the declines similarly being seen in government and retail.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 08/19/11 - 09:52 am
Countyman: Thanks for all the

Countyman:

Thanks for all the spam after my previous post. I guess I must have hit the target.

Nobody "failed miserably". I simply took a half-mile stretch of Washington Rd. at random and detailed the vacant premises off the top of my head. There are more. I'm playing your game here, remember? You invited us to "drive around Augusta". So I did. That's what I see. That's what we all see as we drive along that stretch of road. Except you. You see only new construction, apparently. Some of us see both the good and the bad.

And what's the big deal about the Electrolux facility which you keeping shilling about? It was a Dillard's store. Dillard's closed down. Electrolux bought it and is opening a new business there. That's exactly the point I was making in my previous post. Some businesses close..........new ones open. Thanks for proving my point.

Be thankful I chose Washington Rd. I could have taken a stroll along Gordon Highway and included in my tour, that monument to urban decay, the old Regency Mall, amongst other rusting hulks on that delightful stretch of road but we won't go there.

allhans
allhans 08/19/11 - 09:53 am
Obama is gonna fix all this,

Obama is gonna fix all this, soon as he comes back from his island vacation. Jobs can wait, what do we think anyhow? We have waited for 2 1/2 years, we can surely wait until the election is closer.
BTW The job creation plan is not a plan yet. They will get together and work on it when thet are rested up. According to those in the know it will be stimulus money loaned to the small business industry, and will depend on if China will lend us the money and if members of Congress, Democrats And Republicans, will go along with more big spending. My guess is Congress will say no and the Republicans will again be blamed for trying to maintain a wee bit of sanity.

Darned if we do, darned if we don't.

Dudeness
Dudeness 08/19/11 - 10:13 am
I was wondering how many

I was wondering how many comments I would have to read before someone pointed out that a decrease in government jobs is not a bad thing.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 08/19/11 - 10:31 am
Dudeness: In principle, I

Dudeness:

In principle, I agree with you. But in practice, Augusta is kept alive by government jobs of one sort or another. The federal government sustains Fort Gordon and the state government sustains Georgia Health Sciences University (the former MCG) and also ASU.

Without those three organizations, Augusta very quickly turns into Statesboro.

countyman
20129
countyman 08/19/11 - 12:58 pm
Iwannknow.. I never said most

Iwannknow.. I never said most of Augusta's crime is committed by people from Aiken County.. Previously I stated besides Riverglenn and East Augusta Commons, East Augusta isn't really that bad. I think you're getting confused between East Augusta and Eastboundary.

Kiwiinamerica.. The reason for the number of comments is due to the Augusta Chronicle.. Several of my comments weren't posted until afer 6:00 am this morning.. The Chronicle holds onto my comments and sometimes I end up writing the same comment.. I went back and got rid of the additonal comments on the article.. Augusta definitley wouldn't turn into Statesboro w/o the help of government jobs.. Augusta had the 4th highest percentage in private sector job growth during September 2009 to September 2010.. Behind the cities of Austin, Oklahoma City, and Charleston..

Augusta ranked 9th in terms of corporate expansions in the year 2010.. Cities with metro populations from 200k to 1 million.. I think people need to give Augusta the credit it deserves..

1. Baton Rouge, LA 78
2. Dayton, OH 29
3. Spartanburg, SC 29
4. Shreveport, LA 26
5. Houma, LA 25
6. Harrisburg, PA 24
7. Allenton, PA 23
7. Greensboro, NC 23
9. Augusta, GA 21
10. Charleston, SC 20

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 08/19/11 - 03:11 pm
You most certainly have said

You most certainly have said it. You may have went back and changed it but I bet other users saw it too!

drivenslow
drivenslow 08/19/11 - 03:22 pm
the large car dealership

the large car dealership which was augusta toyota has been bought by a local car dealer and will soon be under operation so that building is no longer vacant the reason it stayed vacant for so long is because they were asking 5 times what the building was worth

drivenslow
drivenslow 08/19/11 - 03:24 pm
and 17 dollars an hour for a

and 17 dollars an hour for a cashier in augusta ga NOT GONNA HAPPEN......or anywhere else

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 08/19/11 - 03:26 pm
Countyman, Augusta is a nice

Countyman,

Augusta is a nice place, and the majority of posters who comment never say it isn't. However, we also don't fail to acknowledge that we have some major needs of improvement. You rarely, if every acknowledge ANY of Augusta's problems - quite the opposite, you try to gloss them over.

I don't want to leave Augusta nor do I believe the many other posters who bring up our problems that they want addressed want to leave.

Maybe others need to see the good (including myself) as you say but you can't only "see the good" and completely ignore or lie to yourself about everything else as you continually do. This is what makes it appear that you truly have an agenda, especially when you spend tons of time looking up and distributing one sided facts and NEVER respond or answer any legitimate questions posed to you.

I have a job but that doesn't mean that I don't care about the 2,200 jobs lost last month of which 700 were in the private sector for our area. Do you honestly think this is good for Augusta?

My home hasn't been broken into in years but many have been - is that ok because statistics show it could be worse?

Do you really think it is acceptable that the commission has cut 41 sworn deputy positions, furloughed all other employees numerous days placing a greater strain on the Sheriff's Office, issued pay cuts to the deputies and refuse to implement any type of incentive pay for training?

Is it really "great news" when we bring in a new business such as Costco (which I am happy for) that will hire a bunch of people around $10.00 per hour and maybe 6-8 decent salaried individuals that will probably come from outside the area compared to the millions in local tax breaks they were issued? Only so much disposable income is available to spend. When Costco opens, spending will drop at Sam’s and the income tax will level off quickly remaining around the same not to mention, Sam’s will drop some employees. Due to the Costco location, it will help more that will hurt because we should also get revenue from SC, etc. but for what our commission gave away, this really isn't "great news" for our area. For every restaurant/alcohol license being approved in Augusta, 2 more are being turned in at the end of each year for the past couple of years. It may be nice that we are getting a BWW but it will drastically effect Wild Wings, Somewhere In Augusta and Carolina Ale House and once everything is again leveled out we will have around the same number of jobs and sales tax income.

City cleanliness and looks....Can you honestly say that our city looks as nice and clean as it looks in April? We clean the county for the Masters and allow it to look like crap year round.

Politics...I know, they can be bad everywhere but here almost EVERYTHING is Black & White which is just sad. If you spend money in the white area or for the white commissioners then you had better spend it for the black areas and black commissioners, etc. We waste hundreds of thousands studying a downtown aquarium or a 6 mile trolley which would cost more than $50 million or a new baseball stadium when ours will not even fill up now and at the same time you can't even go downtown without getting harassed by street thugs or panhandlers due to the major cuts in law enforcement. Our priorities (or at least in my opinion) are very much out of wack.

Our school system spends over $8,500.00 per pupil per year (not including tax money from the feds for free lunch programs, grants, etc.) and 25 out of every 100 students will never walk across the stage at graduation which is a waste of over $100,000.00 per pupil or $2.5 million for every 25 we never graduate. I don't have time to look up how many that is per year but I am willing to bet based on our numbers it far exceeds over 100 per year meaning we waste over $10 million per year due to poorly run schools that greatly lack in discipline.

Augusta does have a lot going for it but we need to get our priorities in order to include Public Safety, Education and Infrastructure of which we are failing. We must stop wasting tax payer monies and our elected leaders need to be far more transparent in dealing with the new media and tax payers.

You can continue to only see how Great Augusta is if you wish but that is a burying your head in the sand mentality. Maybe you have it all figured out though because this may actually be as good as it gets....if that is the case, God help us all because taxes will continue to increase, our students will continue to flunk out, our jails will continue to fill up and crime will increase year after year in a city that will only be cleaned up one month a year.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 08/19/11 - 03:43 pm
countymanMonday, Jul. 18 7:57

countymanMonday, Jul. 18 7:57 PM
Report Ignore user
Alot more people from Aiken County committ crimes in Richmond County compared to the other way around.. Ride past 401, Phinizy rd, and the Sentinel probation snd see for yourself..

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 08/19/11 - 03:46 pm
You post so much you can't

You post so much you can't remember what you post...you guess on statistics that you don't have facts on and you accuse me of "bashing" Augusta daily. You are the one with the agenda. I just want a safe Augusta for my friends and family. As a taxpayer without a vote this is my outlet. Don't like my posts? Hit the ignore button!

countyman
20129
countyman 08/19/11 - 04:06 pm
The statement meant there's

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 08/19/11 - 04:42 pm
That's not what you posted.

That's not what you posted. "A lot more people from Aiken County commit crimes in RC compared to the other way around". It's right there. You wrote it! It had nothing to do with jail population. If I wouldn't have found it you would have kept up the denial that you wrote it.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/19/11 - 05:09 pm
Countyman said, "The

Countyman said, "The statement meant there's more criminals from Aiken County at 401 and Phinizy road in Richmond County. Compared to the number of Richmond County criminals in the Aiken County Jail.."

So you are trying to say the people of Richmond Cty are more law abiding than the people of Aiken Cty? Heh.

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/19/11 - 07:09 pm
Nice post asitis....you've

Nice post asitis....you've been on a roll lately.

Pu239
Pu239 08/19/11 - 07:13 pm
Hey Countyman...you might

Hey Countyman...you might want to check on your ABS job numbers....
I rode by there today and the gates are locked and it looks like the lights have been out for awhile...

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 08/19/11 - 07:47 pm
Awesome post asitis..I agree

Awesome post asitis..I agree 100%. Augusta can be as great as it was. Nobody that calls out countyman says Augusta is a trashheap. Like anyplace it has rotten, bad, good and excellent things. To make it the best it can be we need to first recognize we have a problem. More police officers with better pay gets you more bang for your buck than the raises Russell handed out.

countyman
20129
countyman 08/19/11 - 08:18 pm
The Village at Riverwatch is

The Village at Riverwatch is 115 acres of development.. Tons of businesses would have to close to equal the total investment of the VAR. The Costco development alone is $17-$22 million.. The future Flowing Wells Business Park consist of 132k sq. ft. near ADP. The future shopping center on Jimmie Dyess Pkwy is 25 acres.. The Carmax area aka Wheeler Town park and Highland Ridge both will attract new construction in the near future. The developments aren't single businesses, but rather large developments with several diffrent businesses..

Vito45
Vito45 08/19/11 - 10:10 pm
Iwannakno: "Augusta can be as

Iwannakno: "Augusta can be as great as it was. Nobody that calls out countyman says Augusta is a trashheap."

Augusta will always be a big small town with the small town mentality until the demographics change. It is an attitude thing, just read these opinions day in and day out.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 08/20/11 - 01:17 am
I still think it can be a

I still think it can be a wonderful big small town...no town is perfect but some are better than others!

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 08/20/11 - 03:28 am
Countyman, why do you

Countyman, why do you continue to IGNORE any positive conversation. If you want credibility then debate acordingly, admit when you make a mistake and have a decent dialogue.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 08/20/11 - 03:55 am
When I commented upon the

When I commented upon the mental status of a certain poster yesterday AM, I was scolded. Gosh, I've always thought that truth was an absolute defense against libel. But I guess it's not an absolute defense against juvenile sensibilities.

hounddog
hounddog 08/20/11 - 06:46 am
‘It also takes incentives and

‘It also takes incentives and investment in infrastructure to attract companies and the people that work for them.’
Hussein said about $300B of the stimulus was going too shovel ready infrastructure jobs. So where are they?

billyjones1949
billyjones1949 08/20/11 - 09:18 am
There are many areas in

There are many areas in Augusta that are not as safe as others. You just have to know where they are and stay away like most smart people do. That is also true with Aike, Columbia, Burke, Jefferson and McDuffie counties.

constituent
constituent 08/20/11 - 09:53 pm
Since, the people elected

Since, the people elected Governor Nathan Deal,a Republican, the unemployment rate for the State of Georgia have sky rocketed to10.1%