Customer agrees to pay restaurant bill

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 8:07 AM
Last updated 8:08 AM

A couple who walked out on their bill Sunday at an Augusta restaurant was found on Tuesday and an agreement was reached to pay the bill.

A deputy met with a representative of Miyako's steakhouse on Washington Road Tuesday afternoon, who told him he had located the suspect at a nearby apartment complex on Skinner Mill Road, according to a Richmond County sheriff's report.

The suspect, Quiniwaitae Varner, told the deputy they left the restaurant because they were promised a discounted meal after water was spilled on his girlfriend's shirt. When they were given a ticket for full price of $58, they walked out, according to a report.

The Miyako's representative said he wouldn't press charges if the tab was paid in full and Varner agreed to do so.

urright
urright 08/17/11 - 08:32 am
I knew there was more to

I knew there was more to it...

billyjones1949
billyjones1949 08/17/11 - 08:37 am
Pay the bill but never go

Pay the bill but never go back. A little water never hurt anything unless it was silk or some fabric like that. The publicity will hurt Miyako's way more than the $58.00 they would lose. IF they told them they would give a discount then they should have given the discount. He must have been a regular to know where he lived or they got a tag number.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/17/11 - 08:38 am
Doesn't sound like there was

Doesn't sound like there was much to it, to me.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/17/11 - 08:42 am
Sure would have looked better

Sure would have looked better for the representative of Miyako's if he had offered a 20% discount instead of requiring them to pay the full bill or press charges.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 08/17/11 - 09:18 am
Yeah, I am sure the Steak

Yeah, I am sure the Steak house is at fault here. Gimme a break.

The restaurant is under no obligation to allow folks to steal from them because maybe some water was spilled on a person. Maybe that happened, and maybe they were told they would get a discount, and maybe they weren't.

But walking out on a bill over a discount you are not "owed" is pretty telling, and the laws on the Steak house's side so it seems. Getting poor service doesn't allow you to steal. Where do these people come from?

Seems that everyone takes Quiniwaitae's word at face value huh? Not me, I owned a bar and know how folks ALWAYS try to get over on you at every turn.

If they stayed and ate, they should have to pay, and it looks like they will.

Brad

Cadence
Cadence 08/17/11 - 09:12 am
Demanding a discount for

Demanding a discount for accidentally spilling water? Then walking out because they didn't get it? Just oh my.

writerrick
writerrick 08/17/11 - 09:17 am
Who is going to pay the bill

Who is going to pay the bill racked up by the Richmond County Sheriff's Department for processing this offense? I'll bet it cost the good tax payers of the county more than $58.00!

luismartinez
luismartinez 08/17/11 - 09:18 am
Wouldn't the normal law

Wouldn't the normal law enforcement response be:"Tell it to a judge?" There is more to this story than is being told.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 08/17/11 - 09:19 am
Well that's very big of

Well that's very big of Quiniwaitae, I must say. Who said there are no more decent, upstanding people around these days?

A big round of applause for this man paying his tab. Such magnanimity and selflessness is hard to find, these days.

Vito45
Vito45 08/17/11 - 09:27 am
"The publicity will hurt

"The publicity will hurt Miyako's way more than the $58.00 they would lose."

Not if the public knows the real story. I believe the majority of people who read this story now see what a dip the customer was. The restauarant could have handled it better from a PR standpoint, but the dip customer is the big loser.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 08/17/11 - 09:34 am
Hey writerrick, The steak

Hey writerrick,

The steak house pays more in taxes than about 90% of the people out there in the county and they deserve the same level of protection as any other person.

Maybe even more given the fact they shoulder a large burden.

Heck, just the alcohol lic alone costs over $5000 a year now, you pay that much in taxes to the county? And that doesn't even cover the "Pour Tax" on the booze, business lic, State Lic, State Board of Health Food Service Lic, and all the State and Fed payroll taxes they pay.

The list goes on and on that food and beverage places have to pay.

So yeah, I think that running down thieves is a great way to spend their time and tax money.

At least it wasn't three coins in a fountain and a legit theft.

A crime is a crime and this was stealing, I love kiwiinamerica's posting, sarcastic remarks welcome.

Brad

EagleDawg
EagleDawg 08/17/11 - 10:39 am
A better approach would have

A better approach would have been to talk to the manager and said they were given a discount and pay the discounted price.

allhans
allhans 08/17/11 - 11:03 am
Jason Bennet is right. We

Jason Bennet is right. We are assuming that water was actually spilled and a discount promised.
It was the non-paying customer making that claim.
Yep!

whyme
whyme 08/17/11 - 11:21 am
A lot of people don't seem to

A lot of people don't seem to know how to properly get their concerns addressed. They either act foolish like this couple did, yell and scream at a cashier for making a mistake on a bill, threaten legal action,etc. No matter how upset, you'll come out better if you hold it together, speak appropriately to the manager, and if satisfaction is still not rendered and you feel that strongly, keep going up the chain of command, seek outside counsel if needed then, or let it go. I try to do that as much as I can and the outcome is so much better. And don't hesitate to share your negative experience if the time is right; bad press if earned can result in changes too. (although sending in a rant about a specific business doesn't get published for some reason). One more thing: praising a business with or without a concern expressed can result in goodie for you, too! I've earned a number of coupons just for saying "thanks and good job!"

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 08/17/11 - 11:40 am
I guess the customer paid a

I guess the customer paid a late fee - the original story was for $55.36 ☺

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 08/17/11 - 11:55 am
Whyme, you've nailed it.

Whyme, you've nailed it. Mama's always said you get more flies with sugar than with vinegar :-)

We had a friend in the hotel business who told us if we ever had a problem, to ask to speak with the manager because the whole point of becoming the manager is so that you don't have to deal with the underling stuff anymore--they're motivated to accomodate any reasonable request.

writerrick
writerrick 08/17/11 - 11:56 am
Brad, I totally agree with

Brad, I totally agree with you! I meant that the "perp" should be responsible for more than the $58.00 tab! I hate to see resources wasted! The "Balloon Boy" incident comes to mind here. I apologize if anyone thought I meant law enforcement was wasting time or the steakhouse didn't deserve the time spent looking into the matter. I just got sent home from jury duty. That was big waste of time. But, I will gladly serve again when called.

TotMom
TotMom 08/17/11 - 12:08 pm
They could have created their

They could have created their own discount by not leaving a tip. Although, it's very possible they weren't planning to leave one in the first place.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 08/17/11 - 12:16 pm
Well I'm not one of those who

Well I'm not one of those who "assumes" water was spilled and a discount promised. Quiniwaitae lost his credibility when he walked out without paying. If he was due a discount why would he now be willing to pay the full amount? Because he realized his little scam didn't work and that he had broken the law.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/17/11 - 12:23 pm
Brad, no where in my post did

Brad, no where in my post did I say the steakhouse was at fault. I simply stated that from a PR stance, offering a discount like the customer stated he was told he would be given (whether it happened or not....I don't see anywhere that the representative from Miyako has denied it) would have looked good for the business. If water wasn't spilled on his girlfriend's shirt and no discount was offered, then why hasn't this claim been denied by the restaurant? I have no idea what happened because I wasn't there and in no way am I saying this couple should have walked out without paying. There are proper ways of handling bad service and their way wasn't the right way. He should have talked to a manager and paid the bill whatever it was instead of just leaving.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 08/17/11 - 12:26 pm
Quiniwaitae is just another

Quiniwaitae is just another typical "im entitled" American. He should be charged and locked up. If he had a problem, he could have spoken with management, called the police himself or at least waited on them. Furthermore, their meal was discounted by 20% since they didn't tip. Pathetic excuse and a waste of law enforcement's time for which they should also pay.

BBSouth
BBSouth 08/17/11 - 12:48 pm

Thank you to Miyako's for making the public aware that there's someone it the area pulling "dine and dash". I'm sure other restaurants are keeping an eye out for the same scam. I have no idea why Miyako's business should be hurt at all.

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 08/17/11 - 12:54 pm
Well bottom line the scam

Well bottom line the scam didn't work this time..so sorry you had to actually pay for food you ate.........I have alot of respect for this restaurant for not allowing non-paying slackers to get away with this...good for them!
I will certainly recommend them......This will not hurt their business at all..it will just keep out the scammmers.

CarlA
CarlA 08/17/11 - 02:00 pm
It is amazing that some

It is amazing that some posters think the "publicity will hurt Miyako's"! LMAO! The customer who is also a thief in my book, is the perfect example of the mentality of the entitlement crowd!

Dan White 08/17/11 - 02:03 pm
A waitress at my favorite

A waitress at my favorite restaurant said that sometimes a customer will complain in order to get a free or reduced tab when there is nothing to complain about. Sometimes people try to scam a restaurant. I wonder if others posters have had similar experiences. This guy who didn't pay his bill could have been a scammer. Who knows? Only the restaurant and the customer. But, I have my suspicions.

BBSouth
BBSouth 08/17/11 - 02:28 pm
Dan, I saw a couple try this

Dan, I saw a couple try this a few years ago at Red Lobster. In front of thier children. To me this is just like shoplifting.

Dixieman
Dixieman 08/17/11 - 02:33 pm
It IS shoplifting. Also

It IS shoplifting. Also stealing.

GaStang22
GaStang22 08/17/11 - 04:14 pm
Where are the droves of thief

Where are the droves of thief defenders that were on here from the first article?? Big surprise... they aren't here. lol I'm glad to see a lot of people posting here with common sense and morals today. The many people from that article backing people to walk out on a bill saying they had every right to do so was nauseating to say the least. And so many of them with a sense of entitlement and disregard for the law or civility, and some I didn't expect shocked me that they even thought that way.

drivenslow
drivenslow 08/17/11 - 04:33 pm
what they dont take ebt cards

what they dont take ebt cards

drivenslow
drivenslow 08/17/11 - 04:38 pm
gee i woulda never thought

gee i woulda never thought the perps were african american......wonder if their car had dem 22s or 24s

Marijuana-based drug works differently

Georgia Regents University and the state of Georgia have worked for months to land a marijuana-derived drug clinical trial for children with difficult seizure disorders.