Injured Monday night cyclist identified

Tuesday, Aug 9, 2011 9:17 AM
Last updated 1:48 PM

A bicyclist injured  Monday evening has been identified as 57-year-old Ernest Tanner of Augusta.

Tanner was transported to Medical College of Georgia Hospital after being rear-ended shortly before 9 p.m. by a truck driven by Willie Ferrell on the 1700 block of Tobacco Road. He is still listed in critical condition, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

Charges of following too closely are pending against Ferrell, Griffin said. Authorities believe speed played a factor in the crash.

A witness told deputies it appeared as though Ferrell was attempteing to swerve out of the way before he struck the cyclist with his 1978 Chevrolet C-10.

Griffin said deputy reports show Tanner was properly equipped with all reflectors. The report did not state if Tanner was wearing a helmet.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 08/09/11 - 09:25 am
Good news, glad he's expected

Good news, glad he's expected to make a full recovery!

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/09/11 - 12:34 pm
Bicycling is great excersise

Bicycling is great excersise but at the risk of losing your life does not seem like a good choice. Maybe it was his only means of transportation. Glad he will be OK!

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/09/11 - 06:28 pm
I must have missed something.

I must have missed something. While I certainly hope it's true, where has it been posted that he's going to make a full recovery?

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/09/11 - 06:46 pm
Fiat, I see the article was

Fiat, I see the article was updated after augusta and I posted. I believe the first article said that he would be OK.

TakeAHike
TakeAHike 12/06/11 - 06:57 pm
Glad the driver was charged.

Glad the driver was charged. I hope Mr. Tanner recovers.

Vogtle workforce hits 4,200

About 4,200 workers are employed at the Plant Vogtle expansion project where the first two reactors built in the U.S. in more than three decades are rising from the red clay.