Ga. teen beaten for not wanting to attend church

WOODSTOCK, Ga. -- A suburban Atlanta area teenager was beaten because he said he was too tired to go to church, according to police.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that the 17-year-old boy was beaten with a belt by his mother, Lolita Smith, 48, of Woodstock, for not wanting to attend church because he had awoken early to walk the dog, according to a police report.

Smith has been charged with simple battery and criminal trespassing.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/21/11 - 05:54 am
He woke up early to walk the

He woke up early to walk the dog and now is too tired to go to church? What time did he get up to walk the dog? And why a criminal trespass charge for the mom?

This article doesn't make sense in more ways than one.

Granddaddy John
Granddaddy John 07/21/11 - 05:58 am
SPARE THE ROD SPOIL THE CHILD

SPARE THE ROD SPOIL THE CHILD

copperhead
copperhead 07/21/11 - 06:10 am
Since when is a "spanking"

Since when is a "spanking" considered a "beating"? BUT the government knows best and can raise our children waaaay better than we can!

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 07/21/11 - 06:12 am
So that's a crime? What's a

So that's a crime?

What's a crime is an adult's failure to set civilized limits for a child.

studmuffin1533
studmuffin1533 07/21/11 - 06:49 am
Now he's really not going to

Now he's really not going to want to go.
Maybe next time he declines, the members of the church will get together and stone him.

ParentEducator
ParentEducator 07/21/11 - 06:53 am
Using a belt does NOT

Using a belt does NOT constitute a spanking! By 17 isn't it the individual's choice whether to go to church or not? The criminal trespassing is the charge I don't understand.

ctchpln
ctchpln 07/21/11 - 06:56 am
Click on "read more" and read

Click on "read more" and read the rest of the story. This mother did not act like anyone who takes church seriously. There had been calls to the residence before and the officer noticed the mother was acting irrationally.

Beck Tears
Beck Tears 07/21/11 - 06:58 am
How Jesus like by the mother

How Jesus like by the mother and commentators. Also: nowhere in the article is the word "spanking" or "belt" given. Beaten and hitting was used. Beating someone because they didn't want to go to church, and you're calling the kid a wimp, and spoiled? Beating another human for not wanting to go to church... how... sharia law like.

Ashleyn1
Ashleyn1 07/21/11 - 07:09 am
I am sorry ParentEducator,

I am sorry ParentEducator, but belts are used by a lot of parents...that's a spanking! NOT A BEATING...especially on a 17 year old boy!

belle
belle 07/21/11 - 07:02 am
My understanding is that by

My understanding is that by the age of 17 they are cosidered an adult as far their legal rights regarding their parents. In other words, by 17 they can move out, but you can't throw them out. I would think the trespass charge comes from entering his room without his permission. In the law's eyes, it would be his private abode. The rest of the house would be communal space. As far as beating him with a belt to make him go to church, that is way over the top and physically abusive. How about making him mow the grass while you are at church? or grounding him for the day(if you own the car) since he is so tired.

copperhead
copperhead 07/21/11 - 07:03 am
IF my 17 year old child

IF my 17 year old child living in my house refused to do ANYTHING REASONABLE that I instructed him/her to do, 7 seconds later,he/she would NOT be living in my house!

Ashleyn1
Ashleyn1 07/21/11 - 07:10 am
Amen copperhead...your not

Amen copperhead...your not considered an "ADULT" in my home as long as your living off of me! Period.

Patty-P
Patty-P 07/21/11 - 07:11 am
I agree copperhead. I don't

I agree copperhead. I don't understand the trespass charge either. Yep, the state of Georgia knows how to raise our kids better than we do.

Ashleyn1
Ashleyn1 07/21/11 - 07:12 am
Beating is what the article

Beating is what the article says Beck Tears...that doesn't mean it was truely a "beating"! I think there is a good possibility that this "story" was blow out of porportion.

burninater
burninater 07/21/11 - 07:29 am
Indoctrination under threat

Indoctrination under threat of bodily harm. Lovely belief system this woman holds in her heart.

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 07/21/11 - 07:33 am
How about most of you are

How about most of you are looking at one isolated incident. This isn't anywhere near the whole story. This appears, to me, to have been a situation that has been building for a long time. I am not supporting either one because there isn't enough information to support either one, but have any of you raised a 17 year old son who is at best a difficult child? Did you handle every situation perfectly? Well, in the words of Jesus, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!"

Patty-P
Patty-P 07/21/11 - 07:38 am
I've seen a number of

I've seen a number of disrespectful, lawless teens around here. I wouldn't doubt she has had issues with him before. My answer to that for the mom is to let the state raise him.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/21/11 - 07:55 am
I have to agree with

I have to agree with nothin2show4it. I don't particularly agree with the mother's actions but can understand getting to the point she did....I've raised a difficult and strong willed 17 year old male...I know what it's like. Another poster made a good point....if he doesn't want to get up and go to church then make him mow the grass or do something productive and he definitely wouldn't be going anywhere for the rest of the day. There is only one King and Queen in our household and it isn't the son. You don't like the rules, move out.

I'm curious, what 17 year old male gets up early to walk a dog...could it be that possibly he was out too late and mom had had enough? Could be the mother is unstable....not enough information to see the whole story.

Ashleyn1
Ashleyn1 07/21/11 - 08:10 am
Good thoughts InChrist...i

Good thoughts InChrist...i agree

Bruno
Bruno 07/21/11 - 08:30 am
Criminal trespass!?!?! There

Criminal trespass!?!?! There is something missing in the article.
I find it interesting that 16 yo's can drive, 18 yo's can vote, have to register for the draft (but only if you are male) can be charged as an adult at 16 yet can't by beer.
Also, unless I am renting you the room, all rooms in my house are mine.

hope7
hope7 07/21/11 - 08:33 am
Oh, how I hate seeing the

Oh, how I hate seeing the "spare the rod spoil the child" quote.
Having grown up in a 'religious' home and by that I mean not 'spiritual' and horribly abusive using the word of God to justify abusive actions passed down for generations. People who seem to be blindly persuaded by tradition and other religious myths use the above mentioned quote to rationalize their interpretation of God's word. Look it up and with study you may find this quote DOES NOT MEAN, hit, spank, whip, beat or any other form of physical discipline tool. I challenge you to study the difference between discipline and punishment. Pray for God's guidance and I, too, raised a strong willed child. Today I can say how wonderful a strong will can be for living in this toxic world! It is never a good idea to break a strong will. It is better to embrace it as a strength given to the individual by a loving creator who knows exactly what we need to glorify Him. All I have on this as I do not debate the truth as I know it.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 07/21/11 - 08:37 am
For those of you too lazy to

For those of you too lazy to click "read more"- there have been 4 incidents where the police had been called out for abuse at this household. The teen started out in one room but she kept beating on him, he went to a bedroom on a lower level of the house and she broke the door down causing excessive damage to the door frame and kept beating. The officers reported bruising on the kid's arm and the mother was acting irrational. This DOES NOT sound like a spanking to me... but abuse. All for not wanting to go to church. I hope she goes to jail for something as trivial as that.

pureevil
pureevil 07/21/11 - 08:42 am
Before you start talking

Before you start talking about how it's a spanking, not a beating or that the government doesn't need to interfere with how we raise our children, read the whole story. She broke down a door to get to this kid, and the police have been there 4 times in the past 2 years. I'm sorry, but there is no excuse to lose control like that and attack your child.
My kiddo gets the occasional spanking, but never when I'm mad and never with me acting like a psycho, breaking down doors. I don't care if he's 7 or 17, having someone attack you with that much rage has to be scary. I hope the mother gets some anger management and works through her issues.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 07/21/11 - 08:50 am
Interesting how most of the

Interesting how most of the previous posters are blaming the teenager, assuming he is "spoiled". So, what facts do we have....

A woman who breaks into a house (trespassing charge) and beats her son with a belt for not going to church.

v/s

A son who is responsible enough to get up early to walk the dog but declined to attend church because he was tired.

I'm thinking the son wins this one based on what has been reported so far.

burninater
burninater 07/21/11 - 08:55 am
Well, in the words of Jesus,

Well, in the words of Jesus, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!"
-----
Or, alternatively, "Let she who is without sin beat the first child with a leather belt after breaking down a door!"

scgator
scgator 07/21/11 - 08:55 am
There has got to much more to

There has got to much more to this than liberal media likes to show; chances are greater that this 17 year old is MUCH more rebellious than portrayed a the "innocent victim". For one, HOW did the authorities find out about the spanking ( so called beating). Both of my parents "spanked" me growing up and I NEVER recall one that I did not provoke or deserve.............as a result, I grew up learning to respect the law, not learning how to "use" the law. This lady needs to get a court order to emancipate her son, and put his hind parts in the street to be the man that he thinks he is..........

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 07/21/11 - 08:57 am
She beat his "derriere"

She beat his "derriere" because he refused to obey her. Good job. Remember the word "obey:" Something kids used to do regarding their parents' instructions.

Maybe this kid will learn to follow parental instructions and, thereby, avoid himself and the rest of his family a lot of heart-ache.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/21/11 - 09:06 am
emergencyfan, where does it

emergencyfan, where does it say she broke into a house? Another article stated she broke a door down to a room downstairs after the boy ran from her. I believe she was in her own home when this occurred.

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 07/21/11 - 09:14 am
I dont think this theory will

I dont think this theory will work for him. I went through the same thing with my parents. They were never put in the newspaper, but just the same it happened. However, 30 years later, I still do NOT GO to Church. My parents turned me off of church, you could not beat it into me MOM and DAD. Sorry. I do believe God is alive and well in my heart even if I choose not to go.

Farmboy
Farmboy 07/21/11 - 09:15 am
I'm for anything that gets

I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels. But to me religion is a deeply personal thing in which a man and God go it alone together, without the witch doctor in the middle - Frank Sinatra

Georgia Power reports Vogtle cost increases

Georgia Power Co. told state regulators Friday that its share of capital construction costs for the Plant Vogtle expansion has risen $246 million, and asked for approval of completion dates 18 ...