"In God We Trust" confusion delays new Ga. car tag

Friday, July 15, 2011 5:27 AM
Last updated 1:43 PM

ATLANTA  — The contest to choose Georgia's new license plate is starting over after confusion about whether the motto "In God We Trust" would be on the winning design, state officials said Friday.

The three finalists.  Georgia Dept. of Revenue
Georgia Dept. of Revenue
The three finalists.

Gov. Nathan Deal had been set to unveil the new license plate at the Capitol, but instead told reporters he was postponing the selection.

"After getting some feedback on the way the contest was conducted, we're going to reopen the voting on the final eight contestants in the license plate design contest," Department of Revenue Commissioner Doug MacGinnitie told reporters. "Because of some confusion on what the final look would be, as far whether there would be a county or 'In God We Trust' at the bottom, we're going to reopen the voting for the next three weeks."

More than 400,000 votes were cast during the online voting period, which began June 24 and ended July 8. Those votes will be scrapped and online voting will reopen Monday.

MacGinnitie said the brouhaha has created buzz around the license plates, which could attract more input from the public.

"That's a good thing for the state," he said.

More than 500 design entries were submitted by the public, and a panel of Georgia college and university art professors narrowed the selection to eight. An online public vote picked the top three, each of which featured a peach.

Some of the designs presented online contained the motto "In God We Trust" while others did not. The motto is actually an optional sticker that may be purchased for an additional dollar at county tag offices. Neither the county name nor the motto will be displayed online on any of the design finalist entries.

Jerry Luquire, president of the Georgia Christian Coalition, said he didn't understand the drama.

"Some people will never be clear on anything," he said. "Some people are offended that it's even an option. They don't want it available. I think optional is great. I know some conservative groups who wanted (the motto) applied to the license tag without option. I think that's wrong."

MacGinnitie said Georgia law states that license plates have to display either a county name or the "In God We Trust" label at the bottom. He acknowledged that his office may have contributed to the confusion over whether the motto would be part of the new design.

"We heard back from a number of individuals and different parties from around the state, and in an abundance of caution, we want to make sure everybody feels like it's a fair process," MacGinnitie said.

Attempts to reach the Atlanta Freethought Society on Friday for comment on the issue were unsuccessful. The group seeks to educate the public about the separation of church and state.

He also addressed claims that people were allowed to vote on the designs more than once. MacGinnitie said Friday his office is doing "what we can to make sure people only vote one time."

The state will begin issuing the plate next year.

____

Techfan
Techfan 07/15/11 - 04:40 am
Woo.

Woo.

trailblazer
trailblazer 07/15/11 - 05:45 am
Why should we pay to honor

Why should we pay to honor GOD? I voted to have it printed on the tag. It is time we American Christians start fighting to get our rights back. I will pay the extra dollar to have the "IN GOD WE TRUST" put on all of my tags, if this offends you riding behind me then look the other way.

dtaylorcpa
dtaylorcpa 07/15/11 - 06:09 am
The tag I voted on showed "IN

The tag I voted on showed "IN GOD WE TRUST". However, it is shown above, but without those words and now we are told it can be purchased separately? I will pay the fee to have it on my tag but have to wonder why it is not being printed on all the tags!

trailblazer
trailblazer 07/15/11 - 06:44 am
dtaylorcpa, Because

dtaylorcpa,
Because Christains no longer have rights in our own country. It is not PC. Believe me when I say that one day the American Government will answer for taking GOD out of our Country. If we would restore GOD back into America we would once again enjoy all of the freedoms and riches that we once had.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/15/11 - 07:41 am
trailblazer, please don't

trailblazer, please don't look at it as paying to honor God. Look at it as a way of honoring God. I would much rather pay an extra dollar to proudly place that sticker on my license plate than to not have it on my plate at all, which is what could have happened. I think it's a compromise to satisfy those who want to honor God and those who choose not to. It is the same with address labels. I choose to print my own and place In God We Trust on it. It's just another way to say "As for me and my house we will serve the Lord". We can not fight satan for that is the Lord's job but we can find ways to show our faith that He is Lord and He reigns.

Techfan
Techfan 07/15/11 - 07:48 am
Why can't we get an In the

Why can't we get an In the Flying Spaghetti Monster We Trust tag? It appears the state is chosing a particular religion above others.

WW1949
WW1949 07/15/11 - 07:52 am
Techfan, If you do not like

Techfan, If you do not like the sticker then do not pay the extra dollar. I will pay the dollar. How about it is printed on the tag and you pay an extra dollar to not have it.

Piperpig
Piperpig 07/15/11 - 08:03 am
I don't understand why

I don't understand why everything nowadays has to be such a big deal. Everyone wants to be a victim. It's tiring. It's just a license plate. I believe in God, but I don't expect the State of Georgia to finance my advertisement of it (no more than I would expect the state to advertise someone's love of animals, doctors, or chicken). In fact, I would love to see a plate that reads, "I love Chickfila," but that's not just not going to happen.

Plus, I like having my county (Richmond) listed at the bottom of the plate. It gives me street cred.

WW1949: I think Techfan is arguing against those who are upset that "In God We Trust" is not going to be the default plate. So, you're argument would seem to cut against them as well.

PopnCaps
PopnCaps 07/15/11 - 08:02 am
In Gozer I Trust.

In Gozer I Trust.

obkad
obkad 07/15/11 - 08:19 am
For all you folks that don't

For all you folks that don't believe in GOD , "Delta is Ready When You Are"..... Get Out of My Country!!!!

Piperpig
Piperpig 07/15/11 - 08:29 am
Obkad: who has posted here

Obkad: who has posted here who doesn't believe in God? The issue is not one's belief. Instead, it's whether the State of Georgia should have a standard license plate that endorses religion. I think the state has found a compromise to the issue--the new plates will basically have the same information as the ones before. If you want to advertise your belief in God, you can do so by paying $1.00.

trailblazer
trailblazer 07/15/11 - 08:40 am
It's not about paying the

It's not about paying the $1.00. It is about our Government turning their back on GOD because of a million people in this country don't believe in GOD vs the MILLIONS that do. GOD BLESS AMERICA, PLEASE.

Piperpig
Piperpig 07/15/11 - 08:56 am
Trailblazer: But this

Trailblazer: But this license plate is an example of government trying to accommodate believers in God. How can a government, on a state issued piece of identification, be called anti-God for giving its citizens the option of advertising their belief in God? You would think Christians (and I am one) would be happy about that. I don't recall the old plate having "In God We Trust" on it.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 07/15/11 - 09:18 am
WW1949 "LIKE" button

WW1949 "LIKE" button

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 07/15/11 - 09:23 am
Some of you are at it AGAIN.

Some of you are at it AGAIN. "In God we Trust" has no business being on everyone's plate. This country is not run by the churches- it never has and hopefully never will. Having the sticker available is a perfectly good idea- the standard plate will not have it on it and if someone wants to pay a whole $1 to get the sticker then fine. This is a compromise that should keep everyone happy. Perhaps they should offer different stickers available too... like "In Buddah we trust", or "In Mother Nature we trust". Even stickers for your different causes- "Support Wildlife", "Pro-Life", "Pro-Choice", "Pro-Mind Your Own Business!!"

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 07/15/11 - 09:29 am
Techfan, Religion and God,

Techfan, Religion and God, are not the same thing. God did not send his son to die for the religious. Do you know the story of the religious crucifing his son on the cross? How about the one of Jesus throwing the religious out of the temple?

This is not govenment promoting religion. It is our State giving Christians the option of saying I honor God in my own life.

Dudeness
Dudeness 07/15/11 - 09:30 am
I like the background better

I like the background better on Tag 5, the "Georgia" font better on Tag 6, and the Tag number font best on Tag 7. Can I mix and match?

PopnCaps
PopnCaps 07/15/11 - 09:36 am
Peace be upon him

Peace be upon him

PopnCaps
PopnCaps 07/15/11 - 09:50 am
If you offer up God should

If you offer up God should Vishua, Allah, Buddha, L. Ron Hubbard and Quetzalcoatl be offered too?
I think it's Ok to offer IGWT, but some of these foolish comments demonstrate the brilliance if our founding father to separate government and god. Republics are based on law. Some of your are actually Shari ists.

Hoser
Hoser 07/15/11 - 10:07 am
I will not pay to honour God.

I will not pay to honour God. I already honour him with the bible and treating people I meet on a personal level with respect.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/15/11 - 10:25 am
TruckinRanger wrote: Perhaps

TruckinRanger wrote:

Perhaps they should offer different stickers available too...

You could just take a Magic Marker and write anything you want on the tag.

And while you're at it, you could mess with the numbers, like changing a 3 to an 8.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 07/15/11 - 10:34 am
Don't forget to vote on

Don't forget to vote on Monday. I like Governor Deal's decision, since the original tags that were voted on had In God We Trust already on them.

JustSpeakingMyMind
JustSpeakingMyMind 07/15/11 - 10:35 am
What I find amusing is, this

What I find amusing is, this morning when I was watching the news with my wife and they announced that the new tag would be chosen today: I saw that In God We Trust was printed on all three of the finalist tags. I told my wife they will never allow that. I think it is a sad day when we have allowed the minority in this country to rule. I like the comment made that you can pay the dollar to have it removed from your tag if you like. For all of you who do not wish for In God We Trust to be on your tag, I assume you don't want it on your money either, so I am in the process of setting up an account and I encourage you to deposit it there. We wouldn't want anyone to think you actually do Trust In God. As for the people posting on here that profess to be Christians and do not have a problem with this, you cannot be serious. Remember the Bible does say that narrow is the way and few will find it, I think you are kidding yourselves if you think you have found it! Yes I am a Christian! Not perfect, a blood bought born again Christian, who will proudly pay the extra dollar to declare it.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/15/11 - 10:40 am
You can vote all you want on

You can vote all you want on Monday, but Governor Deal has already selected his winner. Believe it!

Joseph Stalin famously said, “I don't mind if the people vote, as long as I count the votes.”

mtxbass1
mtxbass1 07/15/11 - 11:17 am
How much is this decision

How much is this decision costing the state and why is it important that we get new license plates RIGHT NOW?

The Tall Man
The Tall Man 07/15/11 - 11:26 am
What is so hard for some of

What is so hard for some of you Christians to except that not everyone believes the way you do nor do that want to. I've seen nowhere in this article were your rights to believe were taken away. If you want "In God We Trust" on your plate fork over the extra dollar and get it. No one is saying you can't. However I have to wonder if the saying was "In Allah We Trust" would you still be fighting for it?

Also telling someone to leave your country because they don't believe the way you do is as UnAmerican as it gets. This country was founded on religious freedom. Whether you like or not, not every has to believe in what you do and not everyone will. Get over it. The way some of you are preaching I almost think you want a Sharia style Christian theocracy in that country and that prospect is frightening to me.

I want to know why the State of Georgia believes it has the legal right to print and sell "In God We Trust" stickers in the first place. What happened to separation of church and state? You can't endorse one religion over another.

The phrase “In God We Trust” was not minted until the ’50s, when our frenzy to display fierce American theism in contrast to USSR atheism peaked.

Please remember:

(a) Not all Georgians or Americans for that matter believe in God. “In God We Trust” clearly favors religion, violating the separation of church and state.

(b) Your faith should not be so flimsy as to require nonstop on-the-road affirmation of it.

trailblazer
trailblazer 07/15/11 - 11:23 am
Little Lamb said: You can

Little Lamb said:

Yes you can believe it.

Just like Sonny Perdue with the State Flag.

CryoCyberTronics
CryoCyberTronics 07/15/11 - 11:25 am
The Book of St. Luke

The Book of St. Luke 20:2026pp Mtt 22:15-22; Mlk 12:13-17 God Bless America!

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/15/11 - 12:04 pm
" As for the people posting

" As for the people posting on here that profess to be Christians and do not have a problem with this, you cannot be serious. Remember the Bible does say that narrow is the way and few will find it, I think you are kidding yourselves if you think you have found it!"

A little judgemental don't you think? How can you judge someone's salvation based on whether they agree a license plate should or should not have In God We Trust permanently printed on it.

Personally, my salvation is not based on man made decisions. Yes, it would be wonderful if the GA license plate had it permanently printed on it but we know the likelyhood of that happening is close to nil. I'd say it's a pretty good compromise for Christians to even be able to purchase an addition sticker with the motto (because that's really what it is) to place on their plates as a testimony that they put their faith and trust in God. It's not a matter of salvation, it's a matter of whether in today's society as Christians who are always put down, we see just a glimmer of hope that our voices are being heard.

scoobynews
scoobynews 07/15/11 - 12:12 pm
Who was so ignorant that they

Who was so ignorant that they did not know it was an optional sticker thus having to do the whole voting process again???