DDA seeks applicants for improvement program

The Downtown Development Authority is accepting applications for its SPLOST Pilot Program, a financial matching program for public improvements downtown.

"We're very excited about this, and we think it's a good way to support and encourage private investment downtown," said DDA executive director Margaret Woodard today.

The DDA has allocated $35,000 of SPLOST V funds for this project, not to exceed $7,000 per application. Woodard said applicants' projects must already be completed and paid invoices must be provided as proof of completion.

Eligible projects should demonstrate capital façade improvements and development or redevelopment of buildings, a reasonable budget and timeframe for completion. Although this is the first year this program has been offered by the DDA, Woodard said they have been working with downtown property owners in this fashion for a very long time.

"We were already doing this, so why not let people know it's available," she said.

One example, The Chat Noir, spent nearly $200,000 in renovations and improvements last year and asked the DDA for new sidewalks outside the theater. Woodard said this program is designed to show support for private investors who make an effort to improve downtown on their own.

"When the private sector buys into the game, it usually means it's a good idea," she said. "Everybody's got skin in the game."

Private investment also increases the level of commitment to maintaining a clean and attractive downtown, she added.

"When people have a sense of ownership, there's a sense of pride and better upkeep," she said.

An application for the SPLOST Pilot Program is available on the DDA Web site, www.myaugustadowntown.com.

countyman
countyman 07/14/11 - 12:02 pm
This is definitely one of the

This is definitely one of the best projects created by the DDA.. While the DDA should give up on the parking meters until 2015 and focus on enforcing the current parking rules.. The Saturday Market and CADI system were two great things to happen in downtown Augusta.. The 180-190 cameras and 131 new lights are also fantasic ways to help improve downtown Augusta.. The majority of money going towards the lighting project came from the state..

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 07/14/11 - 12:39 pm
Funny, I brought Le CHat Noir

Funny, I brought Le CHat Noir to the DDA and they turned them down because of it, only after the folks on the board found out I was not doing it as a personal gain project, did they reconsider and help.

And the ACTUAL thing we asked for help like they gave Mr. Boardman ($370,000.00 tax, fee, and interests free loan for four years), and Paul King ($50,000.00 sidewalk in front of a property he owned, sold, and was contracted to renovate and rent out), what we ended up with was street lights and some sidewalk repairs.

I would like to know WHO all has received money this way, I smell a rat.

Brad

Lori Davis
Lori Davis 07/14/11 - 12:42 pm
Would be interesting to know

Would be interesting to know who all has received the money since they, "Have been working in this fashion for a very long time."

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 07/14/11 - 12:52 pm
I know, right? I bet there

I know, right? I bet there are VERY few exceptions, if any, outrside the CABAL

TK3
TK3 07/14/11 - 01:16 pm
I agree Brad but

I agree Brad but investigating reporting requires not being afraid to print findings. A Augusta Chronicle story yesterday, about local prison where they are $upposedly starving the inmates with rotten food or food not meant for human consumption, was pulled and link dead, sadly indicating to me you may well be disappointed.

SC inmates: Greenish meat, spoiled milk routinely served

"The dominant purpose of the First Amendment was to prohibit the widespread practice of government suppression of embarrassing information."~Justice William O. Douglas

"The Press was protected so that it could bare the secrets of the government and inform the people. Only a free and unrestrained press can effectively expose deception in government. And paramount among the responsibilities of a free press is the duty to prevent any part of the government from deceiving the people."~Justice Hugo L. Black

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 07/14/11 - 01:18 pm
Good point...sad

Good point...sad

Taylor B
Taylor B 07/14/11 - 01:23 pm
Brad, your idea wasnt stolen,

Brad, your idea wasnt stolen, it was rebranded... see? Feel better?

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 07/14/11 - 01:32 pm
WOW! Thanks Taylor! I really

WOW! Thanks Taylor! I really do...it seems like I was wrong all along and they were right, so I guess I need to just be thankful I was not allowed to do more damage huh?

On a serious note, you can't steal what I give you, too bad egos and foolish pride stopped other ideas I had.

Maybe in five years they will get around to "rebranding" another good idea of mine so we can see more progress.

Brad

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 07/14/11 - 03:13 pm
Why is a "timeframe for

Why is a "timeframe for completion" required if "applicants' projects must already be completed and paid invoices must be provided as proof of completion" ???

naycan
naycan 07/14/11 - 03:34 pm
Gee, I thought SPLOST funs,

Gee, I thought SPLOST funs, that is taxpayers money, are to be used on public project and not given to private parties for their use. They also us SPLOST funds to pay for ther administrative assistant. Bet she has not access to the funds or even does any of the accounting that is supposed to be performed with the use of those funds. I smell a small rat.

naycan
naycan 07/14/11 - 03:35 pm
Opps. there are some typos in

Opps. there are some typos in my previous post, which you can pick out. Needless to say, someone needs to look into how the DDA is spending the taxpayers dime.