3 finalists unveiled for new Ga. license plate

Georgia Department of Revenue
The three finalists.
Thursday, July 14, 2011 8:39 AM
Last updated 4:32 PM

ATLANTA — Three finalists have been chosen for Georgia's new license plate, each featuring a peach.

The three plate designs were selected from more than 500 entries submitted by the public.

A panel of Georgia college and university art professors narrowed the selection to eight. An online public vote chose the final three designs.

Gov. Nathan Deal will announce the winner Friday at a state Capitol news conference.

The "In God We Trust" logo featured on the bottom of each plate is an optional sticker, which may be purchased for an additional dollar at county tag offices.

The state will begin issuing the plate next year.

Frank I
Frank I 07/14/11 - 07:56 am
that's a pretty neat twist..

that's a pretty neat twist.. the state is gonna make an extra buck off god...

Chillen
Chillen 07/14/11 - 07:58 am
I'm sure the $1 just covers

I'm sure the $1 just covers the cost of making it & distributing it Frank. It's optional - aethists don't have to worry about purchasing one.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 07/14/11 - 08:41 am
It's actually a good

It's actually a good compromise. I wouldn't want a plate issued to me with religious statements on it- but with the sticker, it should make everyone happy.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/14/11 - 01:59 pm
Could you post a link to a

Could you post a link to a website showing the three finalists?

The state gov link finally works:

corgimom
corgimom 07/14/11 - 09:30 am
It'll probably cost about

It'll probably cost about $.02 to make- prison labor is as cheap as it comes.

But it's a brilliant idea to raise revenue.

Hey Chillen, how did the US survive for 85 years without having "In God We Trust" on our money? Gosh darn those atheists from 1776-1864, they darn near ruined the country, didn't they?

How RIDICULOUS is it to put a strip on your tag saying "In God We Trust"? It ranks up there with the moronic Facebook posts I get- like this one:

"If you believe in God, copy this and post this to your Facebook page! You are being tested! If you are a Christian, you CANNOT deny God! Look at see who copies and posts this, then you will know WHO REALLY BELIEVES IN GOD AND WHO DOESN'T!!"

A FACEBOOK post??? For real??? A license plate??? Huh???

A strip on a license plate, a Facebook post, a slogan on money- none of that is in the Bible. None of that has ANYTHING to do with being a Christian.

If it makes people happy to buy that strip, sure, go ahead.

But that has nothing to do with Christianity.

But maybe the next version of the Bible will say this:

"He who believes and is baptized, and who copies Facebook posts, and puts strips on their license plates, shall be saved..." (paraphrase of Mark 16:16)

How did Christianity exist for over 2,000 years without Facebook and license plate strips?

But Chillen, you'll have a good time "finding out" who all the atheists are, won't you?

maandpa
maandpa 07/14/11 - 09:36 am
LOL at Frank I's comment!

LOL at Frank I's comment! And yes, it would be nice to see the 3 finalists.

CryoCyberTronics
CryoCyberTronics 07/14/11 - 09:51 am
Would like to know where the

Would like to know where the fees for the new license plats are going. The last time the hole state of Ga had to buy new license plates Altanta was building the Georgia Dome using the extra tax fees for the new license plates. Now that the Georgia Dome is paid off 100% and the Atlanta Falcons want a new building to play games In. While we here in Augusta are still trying to pay off the James Brown Arena for the last 31 years.. Do we really need new license plates?

CryoCyberTronics
CryoCyberTronics 07/14/11 - 10:04 am
I would say yes if each

I would say yes if each county in Georgia could use the fees for the license plates for whatever they wanted to use them for in their own counties. If only we had someone in Atlanta who could have spotted this oppertunity for the counties of Georgia.

Jane18
Jane18 07/14/11 - 10:09 am
I guess I am ridiculous

I guess I am ridiculous according c-mom. I like having the "In GOD We Trust" sticker on our vehicle tags.........and guess what? My family and friends like the ones I bought for them to put on their tags! What I find moronic is Facebook and the people that get on it. Anytime I receive an e-mail about GOD or JESUS, I delete it(you never know where it originated).

tanbaby
tanbaby 07/14/11 - 10:46 am
why did we only have "peach

why did we only have "peach tags" to choose from??? do they not think that there are other interests in GA besides peaches????

happychimer
19612
happychimer 07/14/11 - 11:28 am
I delete all political email,

I delete all political email, unless I asked to receive it.

happychimer
19612
happychimer 07/14/11 - 11:33 am
Here are pictures of the 3

Here are pictures of the 3 finalists. I had voted for one of the 3. I hope my choice wins..#5

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 07/14/11 - 11:37 am
Trusting in God has nothing

Trusting in God has nothing to do with Christianity? Did Corgi really write that?

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 07/14/11 - 11:48 am
"How RIDICULOUS is it to put

"How RIDICULOUS is it to put a strip on your tag saying "In God We Trust"?" For starters, in case you haven't heard it's our national motto; for another our community organizer in chief has declared that we are "no longer a Christian nation". This is an opportunity to show that Georgians don't accept that. And this has nothing to do with Christianity? Obviously you don't really KNOW much about Christianity because trust in God is paramount. Here's another good reason: it gives us the OPPORTUNITY to decide for ourselves how the world will see us - if you don't want one, the solution is simple: DON'T BUY ONE! Will all who claim to be Christians (basically any of the Judaeo-Christian belief on whose foundations our country was built) buy and display one? Certainly not but it doesn't actually DECLARE Christianity, it declares a belief in GOD, in Whom many of our founding fathers expressed belief and Whose guidance they requested when forming our country. Obviously it was popular amongst those who chose to vote on the tags - I did, did you? NOT displaying the strip certainly will not determine who is an atheist in any way but you can be pretty certain that those who choose to have it DO have a strong belief in God. And tanbaby, do you not know that Georgia is known as the Peach State (well SC probably has more peaches but they chose the palmetto)? So this is much ado about nothing when it comes to rants: buy the strip and display it if you want, DON'T buy it if you choose NOT to do it - freedom of choice for once instead of having to do it the government's way only. God bless America. In God We (as a corporate nation) trust.

CryoCyberTronics
CryoCyberTronics 07/14/11 - 12:43 pm
A man and his (her) money

A man and his (her) money parts very soon. The place where "In GOD We Trust" is at now in the copy is where the name of your prospectived county will be located. If not you will ba able to keep your licenes plates.

daphne3520
daphne3520 07/14/11 - 12:58 pm
Excellent

Excellent reporting.....However, NO images of finalists NOR hyperlink of where to vote. Oh, well, thats typical.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/14/11 - 01:07 pm
CoastalDawg!!!! Thank you

CoastalDawg!!!! Thank you for that post (12:48pm). Someone gets their undies in a bunch over the choice to buy a sticker or not. You would think they thought is was mandatory. Personally I'm glad I have the choice..

happychimer, I believe #5 and #6 both are good choices and daphne3520 click on the link happychimer included in her 12:33pm post and it will take you to the site where all three finalist are displayed. As for voting, voting for a choice is over with and now I guess it's up to Gov. Deal to choose and announce the winner tomorrow.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/14/11 - 01:56 pm
I caught a look at the three

I caught a look at the three plates at Savannah's Channel 11 website:

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/14/11 - 02:03 pm
Numbers 4 and 8 were better

Numbers 4 and 8 were better choices, IMO. Easier to see/read on a car than the ones picked.

Frank I
Frank I 07/14/11 - 03:46 pm
I liked number 3 because the

I liked number 3 because the dots that made the peach resemble the color-blindness tests.. CoastDawg, just a side note., most of our founding fathers were Deists not Christians.. and my initial remark was meant as more of a joke than me having my panties in a wad..

allhans
allhans 07/14/11 - 05:22 pm
I hope they go with one of

I hope they go with one of the clean cut designs and not the faded peach background. That one, or a similar one, has been around before. My pick would be the first one shown, ID5. I will be glad to pay extra for "In GOD We Trust"
I pay more than $1.00 for a soft drink.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 07/14/11 - 08:27 pm
It's never ending. The state

It's never ending. The state is offering optional tag stickers and without a doubt legal challenges are coming because the Constitution's First Amendment mandates governmental neutrality between religion and religion, and between religion and non-religion.” People will want the state to offer stickers that say - In Allah we Trust, In Buddha We Trust, In Brahman We Trust, In Hare Krishna We Trust, and last - what about a sticker that reads - We Don't Need God.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 07/14/11 - 09:25 pm
Corgi, let me answer the

Corgi, let me answer the question about how our nation survived for 85 years without this on the car tags...BY THE GRACE of a MERCIFUL GOD.

And no, it isn't required in the Bible, but I am glad you are looking. And yes, it is a personal decision; no need to fret God sees the motivation of our hearts.

You are correct in trying to say a car tag won't save us, finish the statement though, OUR LIVING GOD CAN.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 07/14/11 - 09:42 pm
gaspringwater, our nation was

gaspringwater, our nation was not founded under Allah, Buddha, Brahman, Hare Krishna, or atheist. No need to announce that one doesn't need God, one's life announces that loud and clear.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 07/14/11 - 09:35 pm

Thank you: howcanweknow and Coastal Dawg. I just now looked at today's comments and don't recall such a rant in awhile. So Chillen wrote 2 sentences, and this brought about a diatribe as if they were "fightin words". I will buy the sticker, I will not care who else does or doesn't. I will not ride around looking to see who did or didn't and then decide if I think they are an atheist or not, and Chillen didn't imply that he would either. The comment was that the dollar probably just covered the making and DISTRIBUTING and that's probably about right, the prisoners may make the stickers, but the DMV distributes them.

allhans
allhans 07/14/11 - 09:44 pm
Too bad a couple of folks

Too bad a couple of folks don't like God, but those of us that do will gladly pay the dollar fee and not worry about where it goes. though it will probably be placed in the general fund. I might even like to have an extra sticker or two.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 07/14/11 - 09:54 pm
Amen allhans!

Amen allhans!

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 07/14/11 - 10:07 pm
God says we are either his

God says we are either his agents or satan's; no middle ground, no third party and not to declare... is to declare. (No, I didn't just say you had to display the sticker to declare.)

KSL
KSL 07/14/11 - 10:11 pm
gasp, why don't you print up

gasp, why don't you print up a bunch of bumper stickers that say "We don't need God?" You might make a fortune.