Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Police: Girl, 16, raped with baby present

Sunday, June 26, 2011 10:43 PM
Last updated 11:46 PM

A 16-year-old female was reportedly raped about 11:30 p.m. Saturday in an abandoned home in the 1300 block of 12th Street while her infant was present.

Investigator Darrell Turner of the Richmond County Sheriff's Office said the teen and her baby were forced into an unknown vehicle near Laney-Walker Boulevard and Ninth Street while walking on the sidewalk. She was then taken to the vacant home.

After being sexually assaulted, they escaped from her attacker and ran to a family member, said Richmond County sheriff's Investigator Darren Massey. She was then checked at Medical College of Georgia Hospital.

Authorities have not identified a suspect in the incident.

Sentinel
Sentinel 06/26/11 - 11:13 pm
I remember being 16 and not

I remember being 16 and not having a clue how evil some people in this world can be.

What a horrible way for this child to find out what kind of hideous monsters walk around with us every day.

IAMKathy
IAMKathy 06/26/11 - 11:24 pm
What happened to the child

What happened to the child that witnessed this attack. I am supposing that her child must have been taken to the abandoned house also.....and when she escaped her attacker, it doesn't say that she got the child before she fled. The story is a bit ambiguous. Terrible story, there is something really going wrong with people these days. I hate to mention it but at the same time......a child at 16, that is another sad story.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 06/27/11 - 04:56 am
Sad to see, and it is right

Sad to see, and it is right downtown too...

Teach your girls! Tell them how to defend themselves. Teach them how to fight.

However, if a lady is with her child she will do just about anything to protect the child.

I hope they get the perps and they get what they deserve for this.

Brad

OhWell
OhWell 06/27/11 - 06:50 am
This is sad and I hope that

This is sad and I hope that her attacker will be found. I find 2 things very disturbing, WJBF gave out victims name and that a 16 year old mother would be hungry enough on a Saturday night at 11:30 PM to take a 7 month old out to Church's Fried chicken. That is what is wrong with babies having babies.

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 06/27/11 - 07:55 am
not "cool"

not "cool"

kayekaye37
kayekaye37 06/27/11 - 08:10 am
To me it does not matter

To me it does not matter about the fact she has a child...What matters is that some sick person did this to her. Just think IF it was your 16yo? How would you feel? We need to think how she feels and not put her down for this.

DowntownJaguar
DowntownJaguar 06/27/11 - 08:25 am
Brad, not to split hairs but

Brad, not to split hairs but that Church's Chicken is a pretty good walk from the main part of downtown. Still, it isn't a good thing.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 06/27/11 - 08:37 am
According to the laws of

According to the laws of Georgia, there is a pretty decent chance that little baby was the product of at least a statutory rape. She was at LEAST 15, and possibly 14 when that occurred. I am curious as to how she lives...hope the best for her and her baby, but she likely has a far more permanent, ongoing problem...

allhans
allhans 06/27/11 - 08:47 am
there is more here than is

there is more here than is being, nor should be, told.

Andyinc30906
Andyinc30906 06/27/11 - 09:03 am
I can remember when I was

I can remember when I was growing up. At age 10 to 12 I walked through the woods to buy cigarettes and stuff for my parents. Sometime alone sometimes with a friend or sibling. We roamed the neighborhood playing games until 10 or 11 at night. We would camp out in our front yards with nothing but a sleeping bag. If we forgot to lock the door when we came in, oh well. In the 70's this picking up small children and young teens was not as widespread as now. If I was in the car with an adult neighbor, I was suppose to be there. Just goes to show how evil this world has become. The older it gets the more twisted.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/27/11 - 09:32 am
I grew up in 30906

I grew up in 30906 area.....we walked everywhere....up& down 25/Lumpkin rd ....didn't worry then about crime....

RetiredVet
RetiredVet 06/27/11 - 10:33 am
IAMKathy, read article

IAMKathy, read article carefully, second Para., "she AND her baby were force"...., third Para., After being sexually assaulted, THEY escaped from her attacker.

IAMKathy
IAMKathy 06/27/11 - 10:40 am
Did they change that since

Did they change that since the original article.....don't know how I missed the "they".

RetiredVet
RetiredVet 06/27/11 - 10:45 am
IAMKathy No worries, stuff

IAMKathy

No worries, stuff happens (-:

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 06/27/11 - 11:05 am
Walking Laney Walker at

Walking Laney Walker at 11:30pm on a Saturday night??? Doesn't sound kosher to me.

Dixieman
Dixieman 06/27/11 - 11:39 am
Western Civilization

Western Civilization continues its ever-more-rapid decline....

JAndy
JAndy 06/27/11 - 12:27 pm
I grew up on the southside

I grew up on the southside too. We use to walk from Rosier Road to the 2 ponds on Gordon Hwy near Shapiro's. Our parents and neighbors would stop and ask if we needed a ride. No, we are just walking. No one ever bothered us back in those days. Just think. Our Grand kids are now growing up in this world. Lord bless them and watch over them!

Willow Bailey