N. Belair Road wreck injures 2

Valerie Rowell/ Columbia County News Times
Emergency responders had to extricate a woman from her car after on North Belair Road just before 1 p.m. today, Friday, June 24, 2011.
Friday, June 24, 2011 2:11 PM
Last updated 5:19 PM

Two Augusta women were taken to a hospital after an early-afternoon wreck that stopped North Belair Road traffic Friday.

Vanessa Thomas, 21, was taken by helicopter to the Medical College of Georgia Hospital, where she is in good condition, hospital spokeswoman Denise Parrish said. The driver of a second vehicle, Serena Lay, 52, went to the hospital by ambulance and is in fair condition, Parrish said.

Just before 12:30 p.m., Thomas was driving in the inside south lane of North Belair Road at Pineland Drive, when Yong Ko, 39, of Martinez, attempting to change lanes cutting off Thomas’ Chevrolet Malibu, according to Columbia County sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris. Thomas tried to avoid Ko’s Mercedes, and lost control, veering across the turn lane into oncoming traffic.

The car turned sideways and was T-boned on the passenger side by a northbound Ford Explorer, driven by Lay.

Charges against Ko are pending, Morris said.

BamaMan
BamaMan 06/24/11 - 01:24 pm
Almost the same thing

Almost the same thing happened to me at lunch today. Very scary. Inconsiderate people, think they're the only ones on the road. Hope the lady is okay.

reality_bites
reality_bites 06/24/11 - 01:27 pm
I hope that she is okay as

I hope that she is okay as well. The unfortunate part is they will more than likely charge her with failure to maintain lane. Saddddd.

IsAmericaFree
IsAmericaFree 06/24/11 - 01:34 pm
I hope she's okay. My

I hope she's okay.

My favorite is when the person in a car bigger than yours is in front of you traveling at 50 decides at the last minute to switch lanes without braking or signalling because the car in front of him has stopped and he didn't have the wit to slow down before; leaving you to slam on your brakes.

ssimpso2
ssimpso2 06/24/11 - 02:04 pm
IsAmericaFree, you are so

IsAmericaFree, you are so correct...I turn left into my neighborhood off Columbia Rd and there is a right hand turn lane there also. I am always watching my rear-view mirror while making this dangerous turn because of people using the right turn lane to pass me rather than slow down or wait until I finish my turn. If that person directly behind me is in an SUV or a pickup, the car behind them is caught off guard. I have been almost rear-ended many times, and many times wrecks of this nature occur right there.

saywhatagain
saywhatagain 06/24/11 - 02:09 pm
My personal favorite is when

My personal favorite is when I'm stopped at a red light in a left turn lane and the driver of the lead car is on their cell phone. We get the advance green arrow and the guy/gal doesn't notice until it turns yellow and they hurriedly make the turn, leaving the rest of us behind, cooling our heels waiting for another complete light cycle.

Chillen
Chillen 06/24/11 - 02:23 pm
I'll bet that the loser

I'll bet that the loser driver who swerved into her lane just kept on truckin' down the highway. No remorse for their actions.

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/24/11 - 03:26 pm
Good photojournalism Valerie!

Good photojournalism Valerie! Captures the whole incident.

oldguy1943
oldguy1943 06/24/11 - 06:19 pm
I witnessed this accident and

I witnessed this accident and the lady did not drive off trying to get away, she and the truck stopped in the middle of Belair road and I had to swerve to avoid hitting her. She turned into the church to get off the road, the accident lasted about 2 seconds and when she realized what happened behind her, she stopped and pulled into the church. Her face showed shock and disbelief at what had happened.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/25/11 - 06:47 am
"Ko, whose car never made

"Ko, whose car never made contact with Thomas’ car and was not injured, continued driving without calling 911. She was located in the parking lot of a nearby church, Morris said."

oldguy1943, I sure how you are a witness for Ms. Ko because the way this article is written, makes Ms. Ko out to committing a hit and run.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/25/11 - 12:57 pm
oldguy1943, thanks for

oldguy1943, thanks for writing that, I hope that the report reflects that.