Census shows whites lose US majority among babies

WASHINGTON — For the first time, minorities make up a majority of babies in the U.S., part of a sweeping race change and a growing age divide between mostly white, older Americans and predominantly minority youths that could reshape government policies.

Preliminary census estimates also show the share of African-American households headed by women — mostly single mothers — now exceeds African-American households with married couples, a sign of declining U.S. marriages overall but also of continuing challenges for black youths without involved fathers.

The findings, based on the latest government data, offer a preview of final 2010 census results being released this summer that provide detailed breakdowns by age, race and householder relationships.

Demographers say the numbers provide the clearest confirmation yet of a changing social order, one in which racial and ethnic minorities will become the U.S. majority by midcentury.

"We're moving toward an acknowledgment that we're living in a different world than the 1950s, where married or two-parent heterosexual couples are now no longer the norm for a lot of kids, especially kids of color," said Laura Speer, coordinator of the Kids Count project for the Baltimore-based Annie E. Casey Foundation.

"It's clear the younger generation is very demographically different from the elderly, something to keep in mind as politics plays out on how programs for the elderly get supported," she said. "It's critical that children are able to grow to compete internationally and keep state economies rolling."

Currently, non-Hispanic whites make up just under half of all children 3 years old, which is the youngest age group shown in the Census Bureau's October 2009 annual survey, its most recent. In 1990, more than 60 percent of children in that age group were white.

REDRIDER
REDRIDER 06/23/11 - 07:57 am
Kids without Dads or descent

Kids without Dads or descent role models? Train wreck society.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/23/11 - 08:35 am
As long as the gov. pays for

As long as the gov. pays for babies of unwed mothers this will continue....how stupid can we be......we would have less crime if these kids had a dad in the home....jmo

momster59
momster59 06/23/11 - 08:56 am
Wow, y'all don't have any

Wow, y'all don't have any racial problems do ya? I hate to tell you this, but white people are on the gov't dole also. How predictable that an article on racial demographics would bring these type of remarks.

This article is about changing demographics. Many couples choose not to get married and at least half of the marriages do not stay together. Eurocentric caucasians are not a minority, they still make up almost 50% of the total population . This article states that there are now less caucasians in this country than all minorities combined. Blacks, hispanics, jews, arabs, asians, multi-racial are all the other minorities. Good Job America!!!!!

Chillen
Chillen 06/23/11 - 09:00 am
Absolutely seenitB4! The

Absolutely seenitB4! The govt rewards those on welfare who have more babies. So what are they going to do? Have more babies of course.

America, this is a problem. It's a problem now but its a bigger problem in the future as all these welfare babies grow up to have more welfare babies. The numbers will become unmanageable. We can't have 70% of our nation on welfare and that is where we are headed. Someone needs to tell the politicians (liberals).

I notice that this article says nothing about hispanic babies. I'll bet they far outpace the blacks. THAT is the fastest growing segment of our population. Illegals & anchor babies.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/23/11 - 09:07 am
Thanks chillen......I knew

Thanks chillen......I knew someone would understand what I'm saying..

I don't want to pay for others to have babies & I don't care what COLOR they are!!

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/23/11 - 09:16 am
Momster, you're the only one

Momster, you're the only one that brought race into it. You assumed. Race was not mentioned at all. So who is the one with the racial problems?

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/23/11 - 09:30 am
Children need a 2 parent

Children need a 2 parent household,,,I know this isn't always possible..I know from my single days how impossible it was to keep up with 2 teens....I'm lucky they turned out to be law-abiding-caring adults....
Teen boys need a strong father figure.......jmo

faithson
faithson 06/23/11 - 09:45 am
monogamous marriage, the

monogamous marriage, the greatest achievement of human kind. Sorry to see it go in America. I always said that the greatest problem with Johnson's 'new society' was letting the social scientists take over programs. As usual, the top/down theory blew up in their faces. Programs should have been instituted from the bottom/up where the grandmothers who were taking care of their children's children had a say. This whole trend does not bode well for the social infrastructure of America. Of course politicians only see whats in their best interests in the here and now, the other problem in American politics. Glad I embrace the teaching: Don't worry, BE happy.

follower 06/23/11 - 09:53 am
I don't care what race or

I probably won't be here mid-century, but my kids probably will. Bringing kids into the world where the odds are stacked against them in homes that can't properly care for them, educate them, and instill values, will most certainly cause this country to drop to third world status.

Deny all you want, but two parent, moral, and finacially stable homes give children the best chance of becoming productive citizens. What we've experienced over the last 50 years with the breakdown of the home and "anything goes" has manifest what we see today. Little surprise.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/23/11 - 10:18 am
If things get too tough being

If things get too tough being white, I'm going to convert.

Jane18
Jane18 06/23/11 - 10:20 am
The saddest thing about the

The saddest thing about the majority of babies conceived and born today is, they are not and were not children conceived of love, but, lust and financial reasons. Talk about sad..................

momster59
momster59 06/23/11 - 10:23 am
Riverman - if you were

Riverman - if you were multiracial like me you could just go back and forth, lol.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/23/11 - 10:30 am
Yep, sun is good for you.

Yep, sun is good for you. Momster59, speaking of being multiracial, people down south are so mixed up we don't know what we are. I notice northerners always say they are Italian, Irish, German or something. Ask a southerner that and we say huh? My daddy, an Aiken County guy, married a woman from Orangeburg County is about as far back as I can take it....or want to. No telling what I'd find out.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/23/11 - 10:35 am
LawsWhat Does Sunshine Laws

LawsWhat Does Sunshine Laws Mean?
U.S. federal and state laws requiring regulatory authorities' meetings, decisions and records to be made available to the public. Investopedia explains Sunshine Laws
Sunshine laws were first created in the mid-70s in a bid to increase public disclosure of governmental agencies. Sunshine laws do not allow all citizens to attend meetings, but they do ensure that media and representatives of the public can attend.

I'm with ya river......:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/23/11 - 10:44 am
I wonder if I had an ancestor

I wonder if I had an ancestor who was a black slave and the government decides to make whites pay reparations or something could I just call it a wash and say I was even?

REDRIDER
REDRIDER 06/23/11 - 11:33 am
So What about race It's 2011!

So What about race It's 2011! We all bleed red don't we. We all have problems. Owe Taxes and Have Debt. I am color blind anyway. I see people.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 06/23/11 - 01:14 pm
So now Southerners count as

So now Southerners count as an identifiable group that is perfectly fine to make generalizations and characterizations about, because, well, they're identified as "white". Accuracy of characterization is not important.

So much for that diversity-hugging, multicultural open-mindedness there, to say nothing of the ignorance inherent in a statement that starts out asserting that "the problem with [group du jour] is that they only think..."

No big surprises though.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 06/23/11 - 03:29 pm
Why is this in the news

Why is this in the news today? Just asking. Just something to make people look at each other with some sort of malice!

Andyinc30906
Andyinc30906 06/23/11 - 06:41 pm
Momster, Makes you wonder why

Momster,
Makes you wonder why this article was even worth printing. Yeah it may be news but, Augusta Chronicle should have known what kind of response it was going to receive by the online viewers upon publication.

Andyinc30906
Andyinc30906 06/23/11 - 06:54 pm
Nicely written Follower. I

Nicely written Follower. I see it everyday. I even see it in my family. I look back at the years of growing up and I remember family reunions year after year. If not my mom's side of the family, my dad's. The only way we have a family reunion now is a funeral or a wedding. Primarily funerals. So many of the older family members passing to a better life.

Where is that structure today? They put them in front of today's favorite sitter. Television or video games. They want more, the parents buy more. Parent's try to be best friends to their children today, not a parent. I did my share of wrong, growing up. I never got caught. I knew if I did the embarrassment it would cause my family. I kept what I did quiet.

The kids today do not care. They know that their parent's will get them out of it or pay the bill. It is only going to get worse when the continuing trend id followed.

momster59
momster59 06/23/11 - 07:00 pm
Jane18 says - "The saddest

Jane18 says - "The saddest thing about the majority of babies conceived and born today is, they are not and were not children conceived of love, but, lust and financial reasons. "

You have no idea under what circumstances most babies today are conceived, and in my opinion to say they are born out of lust and not love says a lot of where your mind is. As for financial reasons, a baby is very expensive to raise and seeing as the majority of people in our country are not getting aid (in spite of what some on this site erroneously believe) financial enrichment cannot be the motive either.

momster59
momster59 06/23/11 - 07:02 pm
Andy you are absolutely

Andy you are absolutely correct. Makes you wonder. Makes you wonder when certain disgusting ideas are "opinions" but honest responses to those opinions are "insults". Right Sean?

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 06/23/11 - 07:18 pm
Our problem is we don't

Our problem is we don't understand what love really looks and acts like.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 06/23/11 - 08:30 pm
Brown is beautiful...

Brown is beautiful...

just COEXIST
just COEXIST 06/23/11 - 08:47 pm
It appears to me that

It appears to me that Andyinc30906 hit it on the nail when he questioned the motives of this publication in printing this story. I’ve learned a lot of the mindset of some of the people in this area by reading these comments. I am personally insulted by many of the “opinions” posted here.

Obviously a few on here just assume that if parents don’t marry that they don’t take care of their kids. Being a well educated single mom, who financially takes care of her children, I take offense to that one. Over half of couples in much the developed world do not marry and take very good care of their children. Stereotypes are so ugly. Single parents who are dedicated can do just as well as two parent families, often better. Ask my mom, we all turned out as over achievers.

At least one person thinks they know what goes on in the hearts and minds and bedrooms of the majority of people in our country of almost 400 million people. I would love to have that sort of mind reading ability.

We have another group of people who seem to honestly think that over half of our nation is on welfare when in actuality only about 1.7% of our total population receive 50% or more of their income in government relief, if you count people that only receive some sort of food assistance, that number rises to roughly 8%. This flies in the face of those who are saying single moms don't take care of their children, as they make up far more that 8% of our nation's population.

Follower wins first prize of this post with his insightful words
“I don't care what race or color becomes majority. What I do care about is the ability of someone that has children, to take care of and raise them to be productive citizens.”
Bravo follower! Well said!

blackindependent
blackindependent 06/24/11 - 05:21 am
Sooner or later the economic

Sooner or later the economic consequence of this reapportioning of our population from majority producing to majority using will result in economic, political and social chaos which can be cured only when the government steps in and takes complete charge of every phase and facet of our lives. The American people will change from a nation of individuals contributing to a single pie to a nation of pie lovers who will VOTE themselves a piece of that pie and won't have to work at all.

Uncle Sugar will not only tell us what light bulbs we may buy (2007), what doctor we may visit and for what (2014), what type car we may drive (2012?) and where we may or may not work (pretty close to the way it is now), but WHEN we may do these things, all the while taking from those who have and giving to those who need. We will return to the pre Reagan days of 70% income tax rates and $1.50 hourly wages.

As Thomas Jefferson feared, "government big enough to give you all you need is big enough to take from you all that you have".

It will reach the point at which there is no middle class at all. The rich will become as feudal lords, buying government waivers and favors and tolerating the existence of the not so rich only because of the need for someone to cook their food, clean their homes and gardens, harvest their crops, you know, perform the labors that "Americans will not do".

Illegals (if they have not been granted amnesty by then) will return to the countries from which they came or will devolve into race/ethnic enclaves where terrified residents will long for the days of "survival of the fittest". There will be pair of sneakers hanging from every power line in the country and street signs will be replaced by gang graffiti on corner buildings.

The population will be so divided that predictions of famines, riots and violent class warfare is certain to occur.

Other nations of the world, who now hate us and love us because of our freedoms, will gaze upon us with wonder and pity, clucking their teeth and chanting "how the mighty have fallen".

If we are lucky enough to avoid being overrun or overtaken (or surrender to) other countries suddenly much more powerful than we, our population will turn upon itself and the only survivors will be those that have stored the most food and ammunition.

It will be 1610 all over again and we will fix whatever errors in our constitution that permitted such a situation to occur in t the first place.

Of course this is a doomsday scenario and the situation probably will not get as bad as this.
But a guy can dream, can't he?

david jennings
david jennings 06/24/11 - 07:31 am
Wow,after reading most of

Wow,after reading most of these opinions,Im glad I dont have too many years left.I understtand we are going through a change in this country,but I dont believe it will be for the better.I wont be around to see and the young will adapt and the world will move on.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/24/11 - 08:53 am
Look at the crime

Look at the crime stats....how is the 1 parent home working for us??

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 06/24/11 - 09:30 am
This is news?

This is news?

kmb413
kmb413 06/24/11 - 10:02 am
What does this mean for

What does this mean for affirmative action?