North Augusta tickets woman for leaving dog in hot car

NORTH AUGUSTA -- Police say a dog was left in a hot car at 11:45 a.m. Monday, which an infrared thermometer showed had an internal temperature of 140 degrees.

A citizen's tip brought North Augusta public safety officers to the parking lot of a bank on the 400 block of Georgia Avenue, where they reportedly found a dog panting heavily and searching for shade.

All the windows were rolled up on the car, which was parked in direct sunlight on an asphalt parking lot, a report states. An infrared thermometer showed an interior temperature of 140 F.

The dog's owner, Gabrielle Hopwood, 20, of the 3300 block of Maplewood Drive, was issued a ticket for ill treatment to an animal.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 06/21/11 - 10:02 am
this is a sweet action by the

this is a sweet action by the cops. it's good to read some officer friendly stuff. keep looking out, everybody. some people somehow don't get that cars are hot. ???

OhWell
OhWell 06/21/11 - 10:07 am
Thanks to the citizen who

Thanks to the citizen who reported this and to the officer. I have made it my mission for the summer when I walk my dog or am in a public parking place to make sure there are no animals or children trapped in the heat. I hope her ticket cost her enough to make her think again before doing this.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/21/11 - 10:18 am
Some people just don't get

Some people just don't get it........put them in a locked hot car for awhile ...then maybe they will get it!

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 06/21/11 - 10:32 am
I wish it was legal to go

I wish it was legal to go walking with a hammer and "open" the windows of irresponsible people for them.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 06/21/11 - 10:37 am
I hope her dog bites her for

I hope her dog bites her for stupidity!

henrystripe
henrystripe 06/21/11 - 10:49 am
Emergencyfan, I totally

Emergencyfan, I totally agree. While I am glad that SOME action was taken, it is simply not enough for the police to leave a mere ticket. I'm sure that was no consolation for the poor animal suffering inside. Do we even know if the poor little one lived??

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 06/21/11 - 10:49 am
oh, and thanks for publishing

oh, and thanks for publishing this reminder, chronicle. a citizen, a cop and the daily paper all working for goodness. dogs really do bring people together.

BamaMan
BamaMan 06/21/11 - 12:14 pm
Broad Street, WHY would

Broad Street, WHY would anyone need a "reminder"? Just how stupid are people that would do such a thing? Heard that another toddler died in a hot daycare van in Atlanta yesterday. WHY????? Do they not know what "do a head-count" is???

csrareader
csrareader 06/21/11 - 12:26 pm
If you see a child or animal

If you see a child or animal locked in a hot car and in obvious distress, and you don't break a window to provide immediate relief, I think you are just as guilty as the idiot that left the child/animal in the car. Break the window and sort out the details later. At least you would have done all you could to save a life.

happychimer
happychimer 06/21/11 - 01:17 pm
csrareader I agree. Bust a

csrareader I agree. Bust a window wide open and call 911.

dougk
dougk 06/21/11 - 01:48 pm
You bet...I wouldn't

You bet...I wouldn't hesitate...and I'd take the dog with me.

easy breezy
easy breezy 06/21/11 - 02:31 pm
Take the dog away from her

Take the dog away from her and God forbid she have kids one day!

bdouglas
bdouglas 06/21/11 - 02:40 pm
Not that it makes this any

Not that it makes this any more right, but an infrared thermometer measures surface temperature, not air temperature. So if they pointed it through the window to find this 140 degrees, that was the temperature of the outside surface of the window, which isn't surprising. Like I said, it was still the wrong thing to do, but the numbers probably aren't completely accurate. Kudos to the person who called it in and the officer, though.

hope7
hope7 06/21/11 - 02:53 pm
I was in Evans Walmart last

I was in Evans Walmart last week when the intercom announced for the owner of a certain car on aisle 3 in the parking lot to come to their car as there was a dog locked inside in the high temp. I felt physically sick at the thought of this cruel action. It seems to be the 'tradition' and or 'sick thinking' of so many that animals are not to be treated with kindness. I can't fathom this type of horrible action. Please folks, consider the furry ones as in need of TLC when they have been domesticated.

iLove
iLove 06/21/11 - 02:57 pm
I don't even do the whole pet

I don't even do the whole pet thing...yet, I am GLAD someone had the heart to call for help.

Good job everyone involved

Cadence
Cadence 06/21/11 - 03:28 pm
I read a horrible story the

I read a horrible story the other day of a man who accidentally left the dog in the car. (the whole family thought someone else let him out) The dog died and (don't read further if you are sensitive!)

it had chewed the seat belt,the door handles, and the door desperately trying to get out. Accidents happen but this one can be avoided. Maybe throw your purse or wallet in the back seat so you have to go back there to get it and hence see the baby or dog is still there? Stick a post-it to the dash saying DOG or BABY. Whatever works for you.

TheGeorgian
TheGeorgian 06/21/11 - 03:42 pm
How can people be so almighty

How can people be so almighty dumb as to leave their dog/kid/aged parent in a hot car? I know many do but it shows a degree of mental dysfunction which causes me to wonder how these people survive without a caretaker. Let's not do our own "Dumb and Dumber" here, folks. It's not Florida.

stillamazed
stillamazed 06/21/11 - 03:42 pm
You wouldn't leave a child in

You wouldn't leave a child in a car so why leave an animal?????? Think people.....why even carry your dog around everyplace in this heat knowing you can't take it in places of businesses with you. I saw this the other day myself and I was thinking what an idiot, leave the dog at home.

stillamazed
stillamazed 06/21/11 - 03:43 pm
By the way I was going to say

By the way I was going to say something but the owner came out just as I was going in.....didn't want anyone to think I would just ignore the poor thing...

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 06/21/11 - 05:35 pm
YES - LEAVE THE PET AT HOME -

YES - LEAVE THE PET AT HOME - - -

dougk
dougk 06/21/11 - 07:02 pm
"idiot" is the appropriate

"idiot" is the appropriate word.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 06/21/11 - 09:57 pm
brain flarps happen, you

brain flarps happen, you guys. we happen to drive our precious peeps and doggies around in little somewhat soundproof greenhouses.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 06/21/11 - 10:09 pm
plus some dogs hop in and the

plus some dogs hop in and the driver doesn't know.

JohnScott213
JohnScott213 06/22/11 - 07:11 am
It always amazes me that the

It always amazes me that the Sheriff's Office even gets calls to assist with getting a child out of a locked, hot car. BREAK THE WINDOW, PEOPLE!!! Get your child out of that car immediately, don't wait for a deputy who MAY have a lock-out kit to show up. Most deputies don't carry them anymore and will probably break your window anyway to rescue your child.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 06/22/11 - 08:47 am
"plus some dogs hop in and

"plus some dogs hop in and the driver doesn't know"

You have GOT to be joking. If you don't notice the dog jumping in the car with you, you are too sight-impaired to be driving!

TK3
TK3 06/22/11 - 08:55 am
Breaking a window is

Breaking a window is dangerous for any child, or animal in car but if police don't show in reasonable time, tap the window away from the child/animal with sharp end of tire iron till glass cracks then take the other end and gently-tap at center of crack till a hole in glass is large enough to place a heavy cloth over and carefully reach in to unlock door. Please remember a animal may try to bite.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 06/22/11 - 09:26 am
LEAVE THE DOGS AT HOME! At 72

LEAVE THE DOGS AT HOME!

At 72 degrees, a car in direct sun can reach an internal temperature of 116. Even in the shade, a car can be 10 to 20 degrees hotter than outdoors, and cracking the window has almost no effect. A dog whose body temperature rises to 107-108 degrees will suffer irreparable brain damage or death within a short time.

TakeAHike
TakeAHike 06/22/11 - 10:10 am
Was a ticket just left on the

Was a ticket just left on the car? That wouldn't provide the dog with any relief.

corgimom
corgimom 06/22/11 - 01:39 pm
A 9 month old baby died on

A 9 month old baby died on Father's Day in Columbia- the father left it in a hot car for 3 hours.

Break the window. Don't worry about being prosecuted, you won't be.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 06/22/11 - 03:28 pm
You won't be for a kid, but

You won't be for a kid, but you might be for an animal. In a life and death situation, I'll pay the stupid fine for breaking the window.

Commissioners seek attorney general's opinion on SPLOST

Two Augusta commissioners are seeking an opinion from Georgia Attorney General Sam Olens on the city's disbursement of sales tax proceeds to non-profits.