3 face charges after Ga. child left in van dies

JONESBORO, Ga.  — The owner and two staff members of a Clayton County daycare are facing charges after a 2-year-old girl died after being left in a van after a field trip to a Chuck E. Cheese's restaurant, police said.

The girl, Jasmine Green, died Monday after being left in the van for hours in the summer heat outside Marlo's Magnificent Early Learning Center, authorities said. Monday's high temperatures in the Atlanta area were in the 90s.

"They just kept saying she fell asleep between the seats, and they didn't realize she was gone," Jasmine's mother, April McAlister, told WSB-TV. "I just don't understand how they can do that to my baby."

Someone noticed that the child was not in the center Monday afternoon, and she was found in the van, Clayton County police Lt. Tina Daniel said. The child was taken to Southern Regional Medical Center in Riverdale, where she died.

"You miss my child for three hours? That's not a mistake, that's a problem," said the girl's father, Checo Green.

Daycare owner Marlo Maria Fallings, 41, of Riverdale was arrested Tuesday on charges of cruelty to children, involuntary manslaughter and reckless conduct, police said. Quantabia Shantell Hopkins, 23, of Riverdale was arrested on the same charges, authorities said. A juvenile also was arrested.

Jail records did not indicate whether Fallings or Hopkins have attorneys in the case. No one answered the telephone at the center Tuesday.

State inspection records indicate the daycare had been previously cited for what regulators determined was a failure to document a field trip. Authorities said the inspection showed that staff members did not initial or document the field trip form for children after an October field trip.

Georgia law requires that checks must be made after field trips to assure that no child remains in the vehicle.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 06/21/11 - 06:10 pm
She was asleep between two

She was asleep between two seats? Does that mean that she was not buckled into an approved car seat? I don't think she unbuckled herself and crawled out. Mine certainly could not have accomplished that at age two.

Two year old children have no business being taken out of the daycare to go on a field trip.

Parents of young children, learn from this and say NO to field trips for babies.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 06/22/11 - 04:56 am
I won't let people, friends

I won't let people, friends included, sit with my dogs. Presesnt day "adults" leave a lot to be desired.

leebraxjr
leebraxjr 06/22/11 - 04:56 am
To the family that lost their

To the family that lost their child I pray for you. Now there is no way this childcare did not know the child was still in the van. You have two adults and one minor that were supposed to be watching theses children and for some strange reason they did not notice the baby? This is not a involuntary manslaught case, This is a first degree murder in my eyes.

We have hsd to many children die because they were left in vehicles. No more excuses for murder, these babies can not speak for themselves that is why the adults are supposed to be responsible for them. This is a case of murder.

momster59
momster59 06/22/11 - 06:20 am
How heartbreaking for the

How heartbreaking for the parents and loved ones of this baby. The level of neglect on the part of the daycare facility is unbelievable. No one took each child off the van, no one checked the van, no one took role once they were off the van. How many children did they have that no one noticed one was missing?

Be very careful with whom you leave your children.

BamaMan
BamaMan 06/22/11 - 08:41 am
Do they not do head

Do they not do head counts??!! Three hours???!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/22/11 - 09:17 am
So sad.....I would hate to

So sad.....I would hate to have to live with this mistake.

realitycheck09
realitycheck09 06/22/11 - 12:47 pm
What happened is awful, but

What happened is awful, but we need to distinguish matters like this which should be a civil matter and not a criminal matter. This is a tragedy and no judgment will give the mother her child back...but this was an accident.

Like I said, it's a matter for our civil system and not the criminal side.

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 06/22/11 - 02:22 pm
My comments were deleted

My comments were deleted earlier. Funny the AC updated the things I asked about.

Secondly you always check the car, truck, van or a bus to make sure it is clear when dealing with children. School buses are the only vehicle that forces the driver to walk to the back and look to see if there are children on the bus. That should be installed on daycare vehicles too.

Lastly, There should be a minimum age for field trips. I think it should be no younger than 6 and even that is too young. My kids didn't do field trips until they were 10.

CABoatright
CABoatright 06/23/11 - 06:36 am
RMWhitley, I'm with you!!

RMWhitley, I'm with you!!