Ga. toddler left in van, dies

JONESBORO, Ga. --  Authorities say a 2-year-old child has died after being left in a van outside a Clayton County day-care center.

Clayton County police Lt. Tina Daniel tells the Atlanta Journal-Constitution the toddler was left in the van for at least two hours Monday after a field trip to a Chuck E. Cheese's restaurant.

Daniel said the toddler, whose name was not released, was taken to Southern Regional Medical Center but did not survive.

Clayton County Police Officer John Schneller said the daycare center is on Thrasher Court near Jonesboro.

___

happychimer
happychimer 06/20/11 - 06:34 pm
It is 96 out there right now.

It is 96 out there right now. Forecast calls for 101 tomorrow. Please watch out for stupid people leaving children and pets in vehicles. I went to the grocery store today, and I looked in all the cars near me to see if there were signs of children and pets trapped in the heat.Let me find one, and I will call 911, and then I will try my best to bust windows.

happychimer
happychimer 06/20/11 - 08:43 pm
The driver should have made

The driver should have made sure ALL the kids were out of the van.

curly123053
curly123053 06/20/11 - 09:07 pm
Why does this stuff keep

Why does this stuff keep happening? Year after year you hear of this stupidity ! It's time to start holding people accountable and locking them up for such carelessness.

AutumnLeaves
11973
AutumnLeaves 06/20/11 - 09:25 pm
Merciful heaven....may he

Merciful heaven....may he rest in peace. I can't imagine...this is horrifying for all concerned, but what that child must have gone through....

Willow Bailey
20619
Willow Bailey 06/20/11 - 10:12 pm
My prayers are with the

My prayers are with the parents/grandparents of this precious baby.
May you have the peace that passes all understanding.

allhans
allhans 06/20/11 - 11:04 pm
Will the responsible person

Will the responsible person be charged with homicide?
The right punishment might stop some of this.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 06/20/11 - 11:50 pm
i'm not sure there's a

i'm not sure there's a punishment worse than realizing you left a kid to die. we need an invention to ding when a car seat is left buckled in a car and the engine is turned off.

allhans
allhans 06/21/11 - 01:46 am
Evidently it doesn't make

Evidently it doesn't make them feel very bad, it keeps happening.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 06/21/11 - 07:35 am
"they"? i don't know of

"they"? i don't know of anyone who's done it twice. btw, "we" must not feel very bad for a lot of things that keep happening. that was trippy and twisty, allhans.

allhans
allhans 06/21/11 - 09:07 am
broad street..I am saying

broad street..I am saying "them" , not "they" but yes, this has occurred more than once, many times in fact by many people.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 06/21/11 - 09:25 am
you know of an individual who

you know of an individual who did this more than once?
you seem to assume it's lack of caring. i doubt that's extremely rarely if ever the case. people keep crashing into telephone poles too. i don't think it's intentional.

allhans
allhans 06/21/11 - 02:18 pm
broad street..That is not at

broad street..That is not at all what I am saying but I don't know how to say it any plainer.
More than one person has let a child die from leaving hin/her in a hot car....I imagine there might be one or two that left a car with more than one child in it and they died...I didn't mean to confuse the issue, I just want caregivers to be more careful and if it takes making an example of one, then so be it.

$80,000 severance for director who quit

Columbia County commissioners voted unanimously to approve more than $80,000 in severance pay to former Community and Leisure Services Director Barry Smith.