Augusta Newsprint fire caused by equipment overheating

Authorities have determined a fire at Augusta Newsprint late Monday was the result of overheating.

Firefighters were called to the company at 2434 Doug Barnard Parkway around 9:45 p.m. after a machine feeding wood chips and tree bark into a hopper overheated and started a fire, according to Richmond County Fire Department's Capt. Jack Womack.

Firefighters had to run hoses through several floors to eliminate the flames running along a conveyer belt through the building.

One firefighter was sent to the hospital after dehydrating at the scene, Womack said.

This is the second time firefighters have been called to the company in the last week.

Authorities also responded to a fire during the day June 15, Womack said an incident report showed the fire had been brought under control by an on-site crew by the time firefighters arrived.

Jay Bacus, mill manager, said there was minimal damage to the equipment.

 

 

More

Savannah River Site resumes normal activity

A suspicious item was discovered Wednesday afternoon at the Savannah River National Laboratory which prompted emergency responseactivities.

... Read more