Officials find E. coli at Thurmond Lake

Officials found E. coli in the drinking water at Thurmond Lake's West Dam Recrea­tion area, according to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Billy Birdwell, a spokesman for the c orps' Savannah District, said the contamination was discovered in a routine check before Memorial Day at the one-day use area a mile from the Visitors Center in Columbia County.

Drinking water was immediately shut off, and signs were posted warning visitors. The corps notified the Geor­gia Department of Natural Resour­ces of the contamination.

"We're working with the state to determine the cause and what actions we can take to eliminate it," said Birdwell, who also said that no other areas had been affected.

copperhead
copperhead 06/18/11 - 04:38 am
Wonder who would do such a

Wonder who would do such a thing?

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 06/18/11 - 11:09 am
Could have been something as

Could have been something as simple as a contaminated water tap, and not the water itself. Or the employee testing the water could have accidentally contaminated the sample. It's not unusual to fail a monthly bac test occasionally. I test water systems every month. The last fail was due to work done on a well that wasn't properly decontaminated when it was reassembled. An oversight by the crew working on the well. Glad that the Corp caught this one before a high use weekend.

corgimom
corgimom 06/18/11 - 12:13 pm
There is ALWAYS E.coli in a

There is ALWAYS E.coli in a lake. There is ALWAYS giardia in a lake.

The water isn't pure. Who would expect a body of water, that is not cholorinated, to be clean?

"We're working with the state to determine the cause"- fecal matter from humans and/or animals, washed into the lake by rain.

This is a non-story, it's always like that.

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 06/18/11 - 12:58 pm
"Officials found E. coli in

"Officials found E. coli in the drinking water..." "Drinking water was immediately shut off..." From what the article stated, it was drinking water, not lake water. I would hazard a guess that it was from a system utilizing a well, though I don't have any knowledge of where they get that drinking water from.

The testing is in place to protect the users from contamination. From my own experience as a Class IV water system operator, failed tests don't necessarily mean that the water is actually contaminated, just that the 8 oz. water sample used in the test was contaminated.

They'll turn in a new sample, see if it shows contamination, and correct the problem. If it's a water system utilizing a well, either the source is contaminated (worse case scenario), or the well itself was somehow contaminated, or the bib that they drew the sample from wasn't properly sterilized before taking the sample, or the sample container itself was contaminated.

I'm just glad that the Corp was on the ball doing their monthly testing and that they handled the situation properly.

(... and no, I don't work for the Corp or EPD. I'm an independent water system operator in the Augusta area.)

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 06/18/11 - 01:01 pm
Forgot to add, if it's a

Forgot to add, if it's a public water system, it's most likely chlorinated.

verbanellie
verbanellie 06/18/11 - 04:52 pm
Anything else to scare us

Anything else to scare us about ? I love CORGIMOM, have been trying to get signed in here for 2 weeks! ok i don't really know what I'm doing but I love reading the comments re the features I'm interested in . . . the good folks at the chronicle were just as persistent as I was so here I am . . . Augusta is a new home for me, so I'm watching local TV new & reading online . . . what fun . . . this is a beautiful GREEN area . . . and the people have been gracious . . .

Officers tell of trauma from taking life

Although every experience is different, officers who take a life often experience severe bouts of depression, alcoholism, marital problems, sleepless nights and feelings of being alone in the ...