Rep. Anthony Weiner resigns

Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:02 AM
Last updated 3:22 PM

NEW YORK — Seared by scandal, New York Rep. Anthony Weiner announced his resignation from Congress on Thursday, done in by lewd photos he took of himself, sent to women online and then adamantly lied about after being caught.

"I'm here today to again apologize for the personal mistakes I have made and the embarrassment I have caused," he said reading from a brief statement in Brooklyn.

"I make this apology to my neighbors and my constituents, but I make it particularly to my wife, Huma."

Weiner's wife was absent as he announced his decision, as she was 10 days ago when he admitted having sent inappropriate messages and photos to several women online.

Weiner said he had hoped to remain in Congress but conceded his predicament had made that impossible. Instead, he said he would resign "so my colleagues can get back to work, my neighbors can choose a new representative and, most importantly, that my wife and I can continue to heal from the damage I have caused."

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 06/16/11 - 12:21 pm
Well, lets see...he did

Well, lets see...he did wrong, continued to do wrong, lied, blamed others, then even lied when "admitting what he did" but vowing not to resign, he has broken laws and ethics violations, etc. but not until FOX NEWS broke the story that he had also texted and underage female did any leadership from the Democrats even bother to request his resignation. More to come for sure but this is so typical.

copperhead
copperhead 06/16/11 - 01:04 pm
Where does a pervert go to

Where does a pervert go to get "treatment"? AND what kind of "treatment" is diagnosed for being perverted? I thought prison was the "treatment" for MOST perverts!

Dixieman
Dixieman 06/16/11 - 01:25 pm
NY Post headline today:

NY Post headline today: "Weiner Pulling Out".
Hee, hee!

Techfan
Techfan 06/16/11 - 01:49 pm
Vitter.

Vitter.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 06/16/11 - 01:57 pm
Good, it's about time.

Good, it's about time.

hounddog
hounddog 06/16/11 - 02:02 pm
Why is the ‘Weiner’ quitting?

Why is the ‘Weiner’ quitting? The liberal/progressives in NY would have reelected him, like they did Rangel. The folks in NY remind me a lot of the folks in Augusta.

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 06/16/11 - 02:02 pm
I cannot believe the amount

I cannot believe the amount of time that has been devoted to this "non affair" while David Vitter who actually slept with prostitutes is still in the senate. What a joke.

It is a sad state of affairs when someone is forced to quit their jobs when they committed no crime and even if the texts were ill-advised, had nothing to do with his job or his ability to perform it.

As a culture we continuously hold people to standards that we do not keep ourselves and seem to enjoy it when someone is disgraced so we can feel more righteous about ourselves.

hounddog
hounddog 06/16/11 - 02:20 pm
‘I just wish that a person's

‘I just wish that a person's personal behavior that is within the boundary of the law would have no affect on their job.’
I guess his judgment is ok with you?

ECDanes
ECDanes 06/16/11 - 02:38 pm
This reminds me of a nursery

This reminds me of a nursery rhyme:
"I Know a Weiner man, he runs a weiner stand.
He sells most anything, from hot dogs on down.
Some day I'll join his life. I'll be his Weiner wife.
Hot Dog! I love my Weiner man."

WoodyKaminer
WoodyKaminer 06/16/11 - 04:55 pm
I believe Mr. Weiner thought

I believe Mr. Weiner thought he was a little too big for his britches. haha

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 06/16/11 - 05:41 pm
Our citizens and media obsess

Our citizens and media obsess over stupid, meaningless events like this one, and we seem to ignore the huge, meaningful events, such as 19-year olds getting killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. All that counts to me is where this Congressman stood on the real issues of the day. For that, I think he did a fine job.

There are so many double standards here it boggles my mind. Vitter of course is a known sex offender and yet he continues to serve and I see not one of you calling for him to resign. What's up with that? The last time I looked, prostitution was illegal, but the Republicans, as they always do, backed their guy up, and the spineless Democrats kept their mouths shut. But the Democrats demand the resignation, and threaten to remove Weiner's committee membership for something MILES away from illegal. This paints a bit of a lopsided picture, to say the least. Then there's the adoration of a couple of women vying to be President who are nothing but hyped up cheerleaders who people admire for their what? brains?!

I know Mr. Wiener needs counseling as he does seem to have a problem but he a smart man and we need him. What about all the rest of these yahoos like Bush/Cheney who lied and got us into a war and condoned torture?

The Great Commenter
The Great Commenter 06/17/11 - 01:10 am
Thank God it's over. I was

Thank God it's over. I was sick of hearing Weiner this and Weiner that. The news will drag it out a few more days though. Time to move on!

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 06/17/11 - 08:00 am
Who cares what these Yankees

Who cares what these Yankees do in their spare time?

Brad

Riverrunner30909
Riverrunner30909 06/17/11 - 08:15 am
I am sorta disappointed. I

I am sorta disappointed. I figured he would run for President and name his running Mate Alex Holder. Wow what a ticket that would read. Put the names together...LOL

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/17/11 - 08:42 am
Weiner's sextexting reminds

Weiner's sextexting reminds me of Scott Dean so much. The Democrats actually handled it better than Columbia County Republicans did with Dean. When the scandal broke thanks to Scott Hudson, it was largely ignored. Remember Dean's acts were real and with the wife of a solider who had been deployed to Iraq. The wife is a Columbia County employee. Others in the media ignored it much as they could implying things like that happen when soldiers are overseas.

Dean won his election after the matter was revealed. His buddy and campaign manager until things broke, Mike Sleeper, moved to have all cell phone records of BOE members kept private. It was also revealed with information due to an ethics violation from Dean filing his campaign report late that he had given 2 grand to Sleeper's campaign.

hounddog
hounddog 06/17/11 - 08:54 am
‘I know Mr. Wiener needs

‘I know Mr. Wiener needs counseling as he does seem to have a problem but he a smart man and we need him.’
HA, HA, HA, Yeah I agree he is smart for a democrat. A person has to be REALLY SMART to send out pictures of him in women’s underwear over the internet. HA, HA

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 06/17/11 - 11:02 am
No offense Fiat but if you

No offense Fiat but if you are a voter then you are guilty of electing sleeze too...that's what politicians are...some sleezier than others but all sleeze!!

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 06/17/11 - 11:23 am
The sames goes for you

The sames goes for you Jesus...party doesn't matter Bush sucked and so does Obama..he has left about 99% of the policies Bush put in place and even went farther with them. Not only has he not kept his promises but has started another military mission in Libya. We need a 3rd party that represents the middle class voter. While it might not be any better at least it might even out the other 2 parties.

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 06/17/11 - 01:56 pm
Oh I agree with you

Oh I agree with you Iwannakno....still I can't help but point out the glaring double standards here. Why are none of you putting the same pressure on Vitter to resign??? What he did was ILLEGAL! What Weiner did, although stupid and childish, wasn't illegal.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 06/17/11 - 03:31 pm
Any lawmaker that proposes

Any lawmaker that proposes and pass laws that they themselves do not have to follow leads to mistrust and non representation. I'll be all for healthcare when it's a uniform plan that EVERY citizen falls under. I won't have to worry about that because it will never happen.

MCG student, class buy kids' books for Ferguson library

Three weeks after the Missouri grand jury indictment verdict, Ashee Nicole Sharer created a Ferguson wish list on BarnesAndNoble.com, urging classmates to purchase a book for the Ferguson ...