Gunshots prompt police visit

Deputies were dispatched late Thursday to Riverchase Apartments off of Lovers Lane by a man who said his neighbor was firing shots in the air.

Deputies located the disabled shooter who claimed to be scaring away anyone who might attempt to steal his vehicle around 11:15 p.m., according to an incident report. He then explained to officers that he was hearing voices that were trying to get him and take everything he owns.

The gun was found in a laundry basket in the shooter’s residence.

An ambulance transported the shooter to the Veterans Hospital for an emergency evaulaution.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/10/11 - 04:44 pm
Sounds like a normal reaction

Sounds like a normal reaction to the neighborhood to me. Sadly. Hope he doesn't come back to find out people have broken in in his absence and taken everything he owns. I'll be praying for his safety and well-being. I certainly have empathy for him.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/10/11 - 04:49 pm
And before anyone starts

And before anyone starts fussing about it's not right to shoot guns in the air at a location like that, you're right, it's not. I had neighbors that did things like that, though, and we finally had to move away, because the problem apparently was not addressed. I can not understand the neighbors doing it in my subdivision and it not being addressed as well as this one was.

KSL
KSL 06/10/11 - 05:14 pm
Dangerous. What goes up, must

Dangerous. What goes up, must come down somewhere.

happychimer
happychimer 06/10/11 - 06:23 pm
We have a neighbor up from us

We have a neighbor up from us whose property borders ours. He target shoots hrs. almost everyday. the sheriff dept. says he can shoot all he wants to. different ones in the neighborhood have reported the shooting, and nothing is done.He slacked off yesterday, and today I have not heard gunshots.What kind of person target shoots for 2 hrs non-stop?

KSL
KSL 06/10/11 - 06:44 pm
One that has deep pockets to

One that has deep pockets to buy ammunition, which isn't cheap. Also someone who may indeed be a very good shot.

I for one hope all of my neighbors are good shots and are armed.

When my boys were young, they got their nerf football stuck high up in a tree. My husband solves problems. He got his double barreled 12 gauge shotgun out and shot it down out of the tree with one shot. Full of shot, the nerf football actually performed much better after that incident. They went on to be quarterbacks AND PUNTERS.

happychimer
happychimer 06/10/11 - 06:56 pm
Shooting nears houses is

Shooting nears houses is dangerous. I don't mind people having guns, but hearing that shooting day after day is ridiculous. There are target shooting places for that. Usually he starts about 6pm and shoots till after 8pm. Mornings it's about 9-11.People are tired of it and are complaining.

KSL
KSL 06/10/11 - 07:44 pm
I'm certain y'all are tired

I'm certain y'all are tired of that racket. Shooting into a dirt bank does not produce a hazard for houses in the area. Noise annoyance, indeed. Shooting into the air equals hazard. Bird shot aimed at a nerf football, not so much. Annoyance, yep. But no one complained because it was one shot and our neighbors would have found it an amusing and ingenious way of retrieving the ball had they bothered to investigate. Our dinner guest was both amazed and amused.

happychimer
happychimer 06/10/11 - 07:59 pm
If he would target shoot just

If he would target shoot just now and then, it would not be as bad. But everyday for hrs is annoying. When he is shooting, I won't go outside.I have not heard shooting today. Maybe he is running out of money for ammunition.

KSL
KSL 06/10/11 - 08:31 pm
Hope you get peace and quiet,

Hope you get peace and quiet, happychimer.

happychimer
happychimer 06/10/11 - 08:40 pm
KSL Thanks.

KSL Thanks.

Adder
Adder 06/11/11 - 02:07 pm
In reply to happychimer; You

In reply to happychimer; You should count your blessings. Your neighbor is practicing a hobby that definitely deters the criminal element. If the noise bothers you so much, perhaps you sould buy yourself some earmuffs. Also. just because you don't hear any shooting does not mean anything,He could be using a silencer. Remember the old saying,"It's the one you don't hear that gets you."

happychimer
happychimer 06/11/11 - 03:56 pm
Adder the shooting gets on my

Adder the shooting gets on my nerves. I like peace and quiet. Now do you understand? I enjoy peace and quiet. The shooter is doing nobody any favors. I hope he goes broke buying ammunition. I did not hear him for a few days. I heard him maybe 15 minutes today, and that is a lot better than 2-4 hrs.

happychimer
happychimer 06/11/11 - 03:58 pm
As for deterring criminals,

As for deterring criminals, we have no crime in our neighborhood, and we had none before all the racket.

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/11/11 - 06:14 pm
I feel the vets pain. So

I feel the vets pain. So much going on out there. Hope he gets the help he needs.

Willow Bailey
20619
Willow Bailey 06/11/11 - 06:41 pm
happychimer, I agree with

happychimer, I agree with you; your neighbor is not very neighborly...just plain thoughtless. Maybe you could target practice after he goes to sleep for a few nights.

happychimer
happychimer 06/11/11 - 07:13 pm
Willow good idea if I could

Willow good idea if I could see in the dark.No shooting this evening, so maybe enough people have complained, or he has run out of money to buy ammo.

Red Cross honors Augusta-area life-savers

Red Cross Heroes honored everyday heroes in categories such as education, animal rescue, fire, law enforcement, medical, military, good Samaritan, community and other categories.