Long standing North Augusta restaurant to close Sunday

S&S Cafeteria in North Augusta will serve its last customers on Sunday after 41 years in business.

The decision to close was due to the economic downturn, said Dean Ashley, general manager.

Since the announcement, the restaurant has seen a few additional customers, but not a major change, he said.

Once the restaurant closes, some of the staff will transfer to the location on Walton Way in Augusta or to other locations.

"Others are moving on to do other things," he said.

The restaurant will be open regular hours Saturday and from 11 a.m.- 2:30 p.m. on Sunday at 352 E. Martintown Road.

Dixieman
Dixieman 06/03/11 - 03:20 pm
Thanks, Obama.

Thanks, Obama.

donner
donner 06/03/11 - 03:23 pm
End of an era..my grandmother

End of an era..my grandmother loved to eat there!!

DowntownJaguar
DowntownJaguar 06/03/11 - 03:52 pm
I never understood the appeal

I never understood the appeal of S&S Cafeteria. The food is bland. I suppose if I had voted for FDR four times and put plastic on my furniture then I would like S&S.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 06/03/11 - 04:00 pm
That was a mean and uncalled

That was a mean and uncalled for comment. Though not my cup of tea, either, it was an affordable and favorite place among many of the elderly. Sorry to see it closing. On a favorable note, maybe they will come to the Picadilly in CC. AND hey, DowntownJaquar, you're going to get old too, buddy. (atleast, if you get to live long enough)

museofsatie
museofsatie 06/03/11 - 04:36 pm
I grew up going to the S&S in

I grew up going to the S&S in North Augusta. Pretty much every Sunday, after church, my family would get lunch there. Good times. I'm sad to hear that it's having to close.

allhans
allhans 06/03/11 - 04:45 pm
The working class of N.

The working class of N. Augusta have few eating spots. The S & S was the only place to order vegetables and have an affordable and quiet lunch. It will be missed.

floridasun
floridasun 06/03/11 - 05:02 pm
Its only about 3 miles from

Its only about 3 miles from the S & S in North Augusta to the S & S on Walton Way so this should not be that big of a deal.
The cafeteria concept is not a growth vehicle in the restaurant industry.
But still sorry to see if close. Not a fan of Picadilly Cafeteria at all though.

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/03/11 - 05:08 pm
I can remember the S&S on

I can remember the S&S on Broad Street as a youngster. They had so much food for my little eyes and the best part was that it was cool!

allhans
allhans 06/03/11 - 05:08 pm
It is a big deal when your

It is a big deal when your office is near I-20 and Hwy 25 and you have one hour.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 06/03/11 - 05:17 pm
Sweet son, I can as well.

Sweet son, I can as well. Broad Street was so much fun back then. Wish it could be like that again with all the nice shops and restaurants. I still like a few of the stores, but, just doesn't feel safe.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 06/03/11 - 05:46 pm
Downtown Jaguar, the appeal

Downtown Jaguar, the appeal of cafeterias like S&S and Piccadilly is that people can actually SEE what it is they are getting, as opposed to a "regular" restaurant where you just get what they bring you. I was never a big fan of these cafeterias but I did always like the laid back atmosphere and quiet. I hate to see places like this close that have been around for decades because I know that people will miss going there. You get to know the other patrons, you have your favorite table, the employees serving might give you a bigger scoopful of something every now and then, the lady in the dining area knows how you like your coffee.......

corgimom
corgimom 06/03/11 - 06:17 pm
What will Miss Edie do? She

What will Miss Edie do? She was the cashier there for many, many years.

They had the BEST fried chicken, terrific vegetables, loved their macaroni and cheese, and then a big ol' slice of coconut cream pie.

Memories.

NA2009
NA2009 06/03/11 - 06:41 pm
It could of closed sooner and

It could of closed sooner and most would not of cared. Overpriced and small portions. Much rather drive to Augusta and eat because of the variety. Good bye S&S. Thanks for leaving.

Right on
Right on 06/03/11 - 08:23 pm
Sad to see it happen. It

Sad to see it happen. It still appeared busy to me.

dougk
dougk 06/03/11 - 08:29 pm
Nostaligic, for sure. But

Nostaligic, for sure. But it's of an era that has been a"has been" for quite some time. If you need to see your food before it's served, you might want to try some better places.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 06/03/11 - 08:55 pm
I've eaten there many times

I've eaten there many times in the past few years- their food does not taste the same as it used to. The staff weren't very friendly either. I'll miss it anyway though...

DowntownJaguar
DowntownJaguar 06/03/11 - 09:12 pm
Willow, I don't think my

Willow, I don't think my comment was mean. I must have struck a nerve.

WW1949
WW1949 06/03/11 - 09:12 pm
i have always liked the S&S

i have always liked the S&S on walton way. Consistant and good everyday food. howard always remembers my name and always asks about my mother and my wife. he is such a nice waiter and genuine person. i also remember the one downtown. Always full.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 06/03/11 - 09:56 pm
Hope Edie and all the other

Hope Edie and all the other great folks find other jobs. They have a really nice group of people there. Sorry to see it close.

jerryv31
jerryv31 06/03/11 - 10:14 pm
Dinners at S&S were a fond

Dinners at S&S were a fond memory for many of us who grew in in a tightknit community like North Augusta, a concept lost on some of the posters in here who grew up in faster-paced areas. Sorry to see it go by the wayside and I definitely hope the employees are able to find good work quickly.

Pu239
Pu239 06/04/11 - 09:31 am

Lonewuf
Lonewuf 06/04/11 - 05:51 am
I've lived in the area for

I've lived in the area for over 20 years now. I went to S&S maybe 6 times at the most. I always told myself I'd never go back. Loyal patrons are the only thing that kept it alive in the first place. The first time I went, I had a salisbury steak that was in a individual serving tin, that looked (and tasted) as if it came straight from the TV dinner tray. The atmosphere is outdated to say the least with booths and tables in horrible condition. (Not to mention the carpeting) This place was downhill way before the downturn in the economy. The downturn simply pushed it over the edge...... I hate to see ANY business close, and people out of work.......This post/comment will undoubtedly upset a few..... Yes, it's sad, but it's true.....

curly123053
curly123053 06/04/11 - 07:38 am
I never cared for it but my

I never cared for it but my late parents loved it, especially my mom. Not much for cafeteria food. To me it was like eating lunch at school at a higher price. Just my opinion.

DowntownJaguar
DowntownJaguar 06/04/11 - 09:52 am
I am not happy to see people

I am not happy to see people lose their jobs. However, this place was overrated for many reasons that have already been stated in this thread. Maybe a better restaurant will take its place.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 06/04/11 - 10:04 am
Reading all the comments I

Reading all the comments I don't think I saw one person say they would eat there before it closed on Sunday. It's just before lunch now on Sat and I'm challenging everyone who reads this story or the comments to show thanks and support for so many years of service to the public by asking everyone to go have a last meal before they shut their doors. I remember going to the one on WW often as a child. It was always the place to go on Sundays after church, way before fast food was even a term used so please show your appreciation and go spend a few bucks to eat one last time at a place of local food history. I'm gonna go for lunch today. How many will join me? I challenge everyone to take a few minutes to say thanks, to put a few pennies into their checks before they close, and to enjoy a meal that after tomorrow will only be available across the river in RC. And for those who don't like cafeteria food, let me suggest to you that it has its good points. You see it before you buy it. You know it is hot or cold and you can select the size of your serving just by asking the server to 'give a bigger helping'...and you can do none of these when you order from a menu, only to find it tastes awful, is grossly misrepresented by the photos on the slick glossy menus, and is often over or under cooked and you have to go see-saw until the waiter and cook get on the same page. As for conditions inside, I can't say I've been in many years, so I don't know what to expect. I do know this. Not every good eating place has shiny new booths or freshly installed carpets..those places have no atmosphere. Some of the best hole-in-the-wall eatery places are so run down they look like they would fall down, but the food is worth it. Have it your way whiners n complainers, I'd like to choose the high road and say thanks for all the good years and good food. Ya'll have a super sized Saturday while eating those pre-fabricated happy meals and playing w small plastic toys. I hope ya don't choke. G'day.

pommom38
pommom38 06/04/11 - 10:05 am
Why is anyone surprised?

Why is anyone surprised? Almost everything in this town disappears.
I never ate there, never planned on it. I ate cafeteria food all during school, sure as heck not eating it when grown!! Last place I did visit was the one on Walton, nothing great to make me go back. I'm actually amazed Ryan's is still around, their food sucks too!
The employee's are moved to that one, or as article stated are moving on to other things. Not life altering, get over it folks. You want it that bad? Then find another one...

DowntownJaguar
DowntownJaguar 06/04/11 - 10:09 am
Zeno--this place is a chain

Zeno--this place is a chain restaurant with prefabricated food. I think it would be funny if no one ate there on its last day...

Susan WILSON
Susan WILSON 06/04/11 - 10:18 am
people ought to be ashame

people ought to be ashame about mouthing S&S look at the pepole who will be out of a job. In this bad suitation .and when Iuse to live in Augusta I when only a cople of times to eat at S&S but a lot of them older people when

SC88fan
SC88fan 06/04/11 - 10:30 am
Thanks S&S for the many years

Thanks S&S for the many years here in North Augusta. We have many many good memories there. I sure will miss that awesome German Chocolate Pie!!!

DuhJudge
DuhJudge 06/04/11 - 11:25 am
I have loved eating at the

I have loved eating at the S&S on Walton way after Church about once every two months for as long as I can remember. Have always gotten the same thing each time too. Carrot salad, banana pudding, country steak w/rice &gravy, macaroni & cheese, squash casserole, french bread toast, and water. I'll bet most customers have their favorites too. And I always rub lemon on the toast. The customers are all regulars and enjoy being familiar with the staff. Comfort food, good prices, friendly staff, ...don't need much else. And the S&S demonstrates that you don't always have to keep inventing the wheel. Every once in a while they will do some interior upgrades, but the menu has been static forever. Love it.

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen