Georgia DA: pay child support or lose auto tags

DECATUR, Ga. — DeKalb County District Attorney Robert James and the county's tax commissioner, Claudia Lawson, are targeting parents who are far behind in child-support payments.

James says his office will notify parents who are more than 60 days delinquent that they could have their car tags revoked or denied. James says some parents have not paid child support in two or more years.

The county will start by send letters to 63 parents to let them know they are about to lose their tags. Parents will be given 20 days to contact the DA's office before their tags are officially denied or revoked by the Tax Commissioner's Office.

Georgia's Division of Child Support Services has implemented a statewide tag revocation effort.

nevertoolate
nevertoolate 05/27/11 - 08:58 am
Cut their legs out from under

Cut their legs out from under them. Yep, make it harder for them to go to work. That sounds reasonable to me. Just another way the government keeps themselves in a job, keep bringing 'em back into the courtroom. Now I realize there are "deadbeat" parents; but some of them are doing the best they can. I raised my sons without my ex-husband's support. My youngest is now 24. I knew when I left the drunk that I wouldn't be able to squeeze blood from a turnip. The last time I counted, he was in arrears of $40,000+. I was on the foodstamp role, but I was working and going to college and yes, I graduated with a BBA in Accounting. Some of you mothers need to recognize the situation for what it is and do something to better yourselves so you don't need the jerks or their money. Your kids will be better off for it, and you can get on with your life. I know this is controversial, but it's the truth.

OhWell
OhWell 05/27/11 - 09:04 am
Very well put nevertoolate,

Very well put nevertoolate, when we have them we know they are our responsibility and it is nice if the other parent contributes after a divorce but if they don't pull up your bootstraps and do what you have to provide a living. I personally do not want to support dead beat parents by locking them up and my tax money go to that rather than schools or some other worthwhile project.

ferrellpope
ferrellpope 05/27/11 - 09:45 am
If the parents don't pay

If the parents don't pay child support, then the tax payers of this community are forced to pay for the support of the child. If there is no enforcement why should anyone pay. The number of people not paying child support is bad enough now, but if we allow parents to ignore the courts it will be a disaster.

GNicole
GNicole 05/27/11 - 09:51 am
NeverTooLate, you said you

NeverTooLate, you said you lived off of welfare while you were raising your kids? I am not sure if this is a REASON to allow someone to not pay child support. Some of the 'men' (for lack of a better forum to call them what I'd like to call them) intentionally work under the table to avoid paying child support. They will live with a woman and her children and ignore the obligation to their own. There are some women who knew prior to the conception that he would be no good. With that being said, there is never a reason to avoid taking care of your own. This applies to men AND women because there are a lot of women who will drop their kids off and won't look back. If you said you were financially stable and did not depend on the tax payers' money to raise your children, I would say kudo's to you. BUT, you said that the tax payers' raised your children while you went back to pursue your education. Shouldn't that be the father's responsibility? WE (the several million taxpayers) did NOT lay down to have your kid(s). Why should we raise him/her/them?

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 05/27/11 - 10:12 am
Lets not forget that there

Lets not forget that there are deadbeat mothers out there too. Every time this topic comes up bitter wiomen start bashing the male gender. I paid my obligations for years despite the money helping to pay for bass boats and vacations.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 05/27/11 - 10:17 am
Yeah, that is a great way to

Yeah, that is a great way to help the child, make it harder for the parent to get to work or to have a way to go.

Brilliant.

I am sure this will help get the DA's numbers up so they can look like they are really doing something!

If a person is out of work for more than 60 days and cannot make their obligations, we are going to pile on this too?

They should spend as much time on things that will have a real impact, well, besides headlines.

Brad

waugusta92
waugusta92 05/27/11 - 10:52 am
and then there are some women

and then there are some women who sit on their behinds, waiting to cash a check. these women who present at CS Enforcement need to bring proof that they're doing everything they can do to support their children, too -- not just lining up in the welfare line either.

mc66
mc66 05/27/11 - 10:59 am
It's a no win situation. If

It's a no win situation. If you go to court and they get locked up for nonpayment, you still get no child support. If you suspend their tags,and they can't get to work, you get no child support. If you garnish their wages, they quit their job and you get no child support. I have been going through this for years. You do the best you can do to raise your children and give them what you can. Eventually, they will realize that the other parent did nothing to help them. My kids are teenagers now and though they do have a relationship with their dad, they resent him for not taking care of his responsibilities. They had to do without a lot of the luxuries that their friends had but they have also learned the value of a dollar. Child support would have helped make things a little easier, but you have to learn that you can't depend on it.

55 F-100
55 F-100 05/27/11 - 11:26 am
Get ready for the "stolen

Get ready for the "stolen license plate" numbers to skyrocket!

Common.sense
Common.sense 05/27/11 - 12:05 pm
Brad, they are not paying

Brad, they are not paying child support if they are going to work. So making it harder is not going to effect the lack of support for the child.

My sister was trying to collect support from a loser. Once he realized that they were garnishing his wages he quit the job.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 05/27/11 - 12:59 pm
Once people realize when you

Once people realize when you close one door, another one opens, you will see how much of this is a hamster on a treadwheel. If the deadbeat loses their job, how are they supporting their family once again? If you put them in jail, how are they supporting their family? Just a thought to pass along when laws like this are enacted. It make you feel good at first, but really, what is it solving.....

MJ-12
MJ-12 05/27/11 - 01:02 pm
I know of a man who has 8

I know of a man who has 8 kids by different women and does not pay for any of them. His oldest is 18 and needs a place to stay and he wont even provide that. So for these losers that like to play but don't like to pay should be forced to get a vasectomy or hysterectomy and all their privileges should be revoked.

edubb
edubb 05/27/11 - 01:08 pm
This is nuts. Police State

This is nuts. Police State Coming Soon

kmb413
kmb413 05/27/11 - 01:32 pm
Could not paying child

Could not paying child support be linked to the high unemployment rate as well. How can they pay when they really can't find a job?

waugusta92
waugusta92 05/27/11 - 02:42 pm
what needs to be taken into

what needs to be taken into account is if the father is making any type of effort. is he paying something if he can't pay the entire amount? if he has visitation rights, is he seeing the kids regularly and taking care of them while they're there? i understand what CSE is trying to do; the total deadbeats make it difficult for the ones that are trying.

waugusta92
waugusta92 05/27/11 - 02:44 pm
and, im sorry, but being 60

and, im sorry, but being 60 days behind shouldn't be cause to lose your license. are the 60 letters going to the people who are more behind than the others? i mean, years behind.

Frank I
Frank I 05/27/11 - 02:58 pm
hate to tell him, but the DA

hate to tell him, but the DA is slow on the draw.. the state can already take your drivers license...

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/27/11 - 03:27 pm
mc66, great attitude. I

mc66, great attitude. I admire you. It sounds like you have given something to your children that money cannot buy...self respect, living within one's means, depending on yourself instead of others, accepting personal responsibility regardless of what the other person does and not letting your circumstances determine your life. You've given your children a healthy model for living.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 05/27/11 - 03:29 pm
The REAL HEROES in this

The REAL HEROES in this world are the mothers and fathers who care for their children everyday.

These women and men, not our athletes and other entertainers many of whom change sex partners as frequently as decent folks change their shoes, deserve our adulation.

follower 05/27/11 - 04:10 pm
If you don't have a job you

If you don't have a job you certainly can't pay child support. If you have a job, paying something is better than nothing. The one that should be paying child support should at least have to prove his/her income and resonable expenses. A blanket policy rarely works.

But if there is no effort by the one that is supposed to be financially assisting their children, taking their tag and license is better than going to jail. There are circumstances that call for understanding, but too many of these deadbeats are nothing more than sperm donors and egg carriers.

There has to be consequences of some sort for bringing a child into the world and expecting someone else to take care of him/her. The manifestation of this is the rampant crime and disrespect for life that we see now.

Craig, you are right.

MJ-12
MJ-12 05/27/11 - 04:18 pm
People, I'm sorry to have to

People, I'm sorry to have to point this out but it's quite important to learn. If you have sex with anyone, that is an act of implicit consent. You may not plan to get someone pregnant, but you are consenting to the risk of it happening the second your reproductive organs touch your partners. Unless you were raised by Carrie's mom, you know that pregnancy may result, so you can't even argue that the consent is uninformed.

If you have a problem with this, the answer is very simple. Take responsibility for mitigating the risk. Wear a condom, don't ejaculate inside your partner, check your partner is being rigorous about taking the pill and don't have sex with them if you have any doubts, use spermicidal lubricant, and if you can't handle any risk at all don't have sex.

I think there is a semi-reasonable argument for some kind of contractual 'opting out' whereby people can sign an agreement stating that they mutually don't want children and acknowledge that if one side backs out of this agreement the other will not be eligible to pay child support, but really, there's too much potential for abuse even there. I know plenty of men who would coerce their partners into signing such agreements then take no precautions at all when it comes to reducing the risk of pregnancy. So I also think that if you impregnate someone or let someone impregnate you and then decide to sign away your rights that you should also automatically be made to get a vasectomy/tubes tied as well since you've proven that even though you have no desire to be parent you also have no desire to take personal responsibility and use contraception and other measures to avoid unwanted pregnancy

The fact is that children cost a lot of money to raise, and if someone has children even against the fathers will the state's obligation will always have to be to ensure the child's needs are met. Child support rates are not unreasonable. Yes, it may seem quite harsh to pay money towards a child you will never meet, but such are the risks of having sex. If you can't handle it don't do it.

Yes, it's unfair, but then you don't get pregnant. Instead of whining, take responsibility for not getting your partner pregnant if you don't want the risk of an unwanted child.

Patty-P
Patty-P 05/27/11 - 05:41 pm
There are some who try their

There are some who try their best to take care of their kids....then there are those fathers who try to buck the system. I know men who work under the table so they don't have to take care of their kids. It's too bad the ones who are trying have to suffer with the irresponsible ones.

MrsAlicia
MrsAlicia 05/27/11 - 07:38 pm
The child support guidelines

The child support guidelines most certainly contemplate noncustodial parents with little-to-no income. If you've contacted the agency to have your support adjusted according to your wages, as any responsible parent ought to have done, you have no excuse for not paying.

It's worth noting that there are more "deadbeat" moms than dads. By percentage they far outrank the men that don't pay. The ridiculous old "I birthed 'em, I shouldn't have to pay" argument.

The loss of freedom and the expense of no tag tickets is often enough of an inconvenience to the other parent to get them to pay. Is it always? No, some are just bound and determined to do their children wrong. Either way I can't see why they shouldn't have to deal with the tiniest scrap of want their wanting children have to deal with. They deserve what they get.

corgimom
corgimom 05/27/11 - 08:43 pm
My son's father, after moving

My son's father, after moving to Europe, had the money to travel all over Europe, including skiing vacations in the Alps, had a time-share condominium in the Virgin Islands, drove a BMW- but "couldn't afford" to pay his child support. It was a power play, because he thought that I would just accept that and walk away, and that he would get away with it.

What was he thinking?

When he moved back to the States, I sued him for back support and won every penny plus interest. It was several thousands of dollars.

You would think, after being married to me for 7 years, he would know not to mess with me, or, even worse, mess with my child. I was very sick and unable to work, had monumental medical bills, and I was left with a teenager to support- on Social Security and disability payments. My son ate more in food every month than his father paid in support, let alone housing, medical, clothing, haircuts, school supplies, etc. etc. etc. And I had to raise him besides. But that's ok, I made it, and he made it, and I now have a wonderful relationship with him and my grandbabies.

My son's father still won't speak to me, that was 14 years ago, I consider that an additional, priceless, free gift. What would he possibly have to say that I would want to listen to?

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

How can anyone- anyone- not support their child, their flesh and blood? Just how do they think their child will get fed, get clothed, go to the doctor? Do they think the mother has it any better than they do? How do they expect a child to provide for themself?

Patty-P
Patty-P 05/27/11 - 08:52 pm
@corgimom...been there...I

@corgimom...been there...I totally agree.

Martinez
Martinez 05/27/11 - 09:37 pm
I have dealt with CSE for 18

I have dealt with CSE for 18 years and counting as my ex still owes over $ 30,000. CSE is extremely flexible and forgiving when the non-custodial parent is honest, communicates and shows a good faith effort. If you lose your job, call them. Make them aware immediately. There are even programs available to help non-custodial parents find jobs. As long as you are communicating with them, they would NOT go after you. There is actually a law that forbids enforcement action or penalty against indigent people. For example, if a non-custodial parent loses his/her job and applies for TANF, all enforcement actions must stop. Unfortunately, many people complain after an enforcement action has been taken and only then disclose their particular hardship. The fact that DeKalb, which happens to be a huge county, is only starting with 60 letters tells me they are really only focused on the worst offenders.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 05/27/11 - 11:06 pm
If you're male enough to help

If you're male enough to help make a baby, be man enough to help rear the baby.

AugustaCableGuy
AugustaCableGuy 05/28/11 - 07:33 am
Maybe a good concept, but

Maybe a good concept, but still that doesn't mean the deadbeat parents pay the child support. They will just find another way to get from point A to point B. Just another thing that makes us good Dad's that pay our child support ( and then some) look bad. The system is bad and it's only going to get worse over time. Government doing work for the government.....

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 05/28/11 - 10:10 am
AugustaCableGuy, Excellent

AugustaCableGuy,

Excellent post.

Brad

follower 05/28/11 - 10:25 am
Corgi, we may disagree on

Corgi, we may disagree on many topics, but my hats off to you for doing what you had to do in spite of you ex shirking his responsibility.

Tells me a lot about your character. I'm glad to see your son realizes your effort and sacrifice.

ARC to honor 1956 championship team

Because the championship year of 1956 has never lost its glory in Richmond Academy football lore, the team will be honored Thursday at the third annual ARC Hall of Fame banquet, where 10 alumni ...