Falling tree kills developer

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 9:49 AM
Last updated 9:51 AM

A retired Appling developer died Tuesday evening following a construction accident on his property.

Arthur Grimaud, 70, of White Oak Road, died when a tree fell on him as he cleared them from behind his home.

Grimaud’s wife told police he’d been nearly a mile behind their house using a front-end loaded to clear trees to build a road, Columbia County Deputy Coroner Harriett Garrison said.

He was late for dinner and Grimaud didn’t answer his cell phone. Garrison said his wife and a neighbor went looking for Grimaud and found him in the cab of the front-end loader with a tree across his chest.

It appeared that Grimaud, a retired developer, was pushing several trees into a pile when a 45- to 50-foot tall tree came over the bucket of the machine and into the open cab, Garrison said.

The tree crushed Grimaud’s chest and abdomen. Garrison pronounced him dead at the scene at about 9:20 p.m.

“It was not unusual for him to work by himself on his property,” Garrison said of Grimaud, who was a very experienced heavy equipment operator.

Grimaud developed several Columbia County subdivisions, including Grimaud Place off Columbia Road in Appling.

pwren46
pwren46 05/18/11 - 10:07 am
I knew Arthur years ago when

I knew Arthur years ago when I was a timber buyer in Columbia County. He was quite a character. I am sure all those who knew him will miss him. My condolences to the family.
Phillip Wren, Waynesboro

matjoe
matjoe 05/18/11 - 10:59 am
Arthur was a great man.

Arthur was a great man.

Sweet son
Sweet son 05/18/11 - 11:41 am
Tragic! I used a crawler

Tragic! I used a crawler some years ago to push trees down and was cautioned numerous times about dead trees. Sometimes when you push close to the ground the top breaks out and falls on the equipment and the operator. I avoided disaster a couple of times!

El Guapo
El Guapo 05/18/11 - 12:01 pm
My thoughts are with the

My thoughts are with the family! My dad was Arthur's business partner for several years back when I was a teen, and he was a good man. He'll be missed!

Batman
Batman 05/18/11 - 12:33 pm
I knew Mr. Grimaud and always

I knew Mr. Grimaud and always valued his advice. He will be missed. My condolences to his wife and the entire Grimaud family.

allrise
allrise 05/18/11 - 01:30 pm
There was no finer or more

There was no finer or more honest man than Arthur. He will truly be missed.

jdsgirl63
2039
jdsgirl63 05/18/11 - 02:04 pm
I was fortunate enough to

I was fortunate enough to work with Mr. Grimaud within recent years, and was sad to hear this news. I know he was an astute businessman, but he was also a kind, honest and compassionate man. To me, he was the epitome of a true Southern Gentleman. My prayers go out to his wife and family at this time, as I am deeply sorry for their loss. He will be truly missed.

Sondra Hogan
Sondra Hogan 05/18/11 - 03:06 pm
Uncle Arthur welcomed me into

Uncle Arthur welcomed me into the Grimaud family when I married his nephew, Robert. He was always so kind to me. I will miss seeing him at the family gatherings. My prayers will be with Aunt Karla, Mrs. Anne, and the rest of the family.
Sondra Hogan

kgibson1935
kgibson1935 05/18/11 - 04:27 pm
This was a great man. My

This was a great man. My father & grandfather both had the chance to work with Mr. Grimaud. His family will be in our prayers.

The Gibson Family

southernhotrods
southernhotrods 05/18/11 - 08:19 pm
Mr. Arthur was a wonderful

Mr. Arthur was a wonderful neighbor and friend. My 3 children loved him as a family member and he always had time to spend a few minutes with the kids and to tell them a story...My prayers are for Mrs. Karla tonight that the Lord will be her comforter just as The Word says. I miss you already Arthur...

southernhotrods
southernhotrods 05/18/11 - 08:28 pm
Happy trails to you Arthur,

Happy trails to you Arthur, until we meet again.
Some trails are happy ones,
Others are blue.
It's the way you ride the trail that counts,
Here's a happy one for you.