Teacher says he was robbed in movie parking lot

Monday, May 9, 2011 11:27 AM
Last updated 7:59 PM

A 53-year-old Augusta Technical College professor told deputies Sunday that he was robbed at gunpoint in the parking lot of Regal Augusta Exchange 20 Cinemas on Thursday.

The victim said he was sitting in his vehicle grading papers at about 7:45 p.m. when a black man in his teens put a gun to his head and demanded the keys to his car, a Richmond County Sheriff’s report said.

The victim said he grabbed the gun and struggled with the man but was unable to take it away . The attacker then put on brass knuckles and demanded money, the report said. The victim gave him $20.

As the attacker and an accomplice fled, the victim said they yelled “that’s what happens when people are hungry.”

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 05/09/11 - 11:31 am
If your so freaking

If your so freaking hungry..sell the gun and brass knuckles.....stupid thugs.

draksig
draksig 05/09/11 - 11:40 am
Well, strike going to a movie

Well, strike going to a movie off my list of things to do this weekend.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 05/09/11 - 11:40 am
Good point wonders...

Good point wonders...

HHSgrad
HHSgrad 05/09/11 - 11:49 am
I wouldn't say remove going

I wouldn't say remove going to movie from your list of things to do. Just don't sit in your car grading papers in the theater parking lot.

Patty-P
Patty-P 05/09/11 - 11:54 am
Wow. Glad I decided to go to

Wow. Glad I decided to go to the movies on Saturday.

rmajor
rmajor 05/09/11 - 11:58 am
No, when people are hungry,

No, when people are hungry, they do whatever they can to earn money. That doesn't include hurting others.

Lonewuf
Lonewuf 05/09/11 - 12:13 pm
I refuse to be scared while

I refuse to be scared while sitting in MY car in a parking lot.... If a gun is presented to me.... I will present my own......

Farmboy
Farmboy 05/09/11 - 12:34 pm
That's it; i'm going to the

That's it; i'm going to the Evans cinema.

Chillen
Chillen 05/09/11 - 12:47 pm
The thugs are getting worse &

The thugs are getting worse & worse. Our stupid govt has bred a sense of entitlement into them.

countyman
20120
countyman 05/09/11 - 12:47 pm
There's been crimes at the

There's been crimes at the Evans Cinema too.. The Chronicle just doesn't report 95% of the crime outside of Richmond COunty

One crime out of hundreds thousands of people who visit the Regal Exchange weekly... The Regal Exchange has cops patroling the parking lot...

csrareader
csrareader 05/09/11 - 12:48 pm
Regal Cinemas will suffer the

Regal Cinemas will suffer the same fate as Regency Mall, and for the same reason.

Einstein
Einstein 05/09/11 - 12:54 pm
Didn't know that the movie

Didn't know that the movie theatre parking lot was such a popular place to sit and grade papers.... Not the victim's fault, but that's just strange if you ask me.

dougk
dougk 05/09/11 - 01:10 pm
I'd have to agree with you,

I'd have to agree with you, dgaddis.

airbud7
airbud7 05/09/11 - 01:13 pm
Told deputies SUNDAY that he

Told deputies SUNDAY that he was robbed at gunpoint on THURSDAY???

airbud7
airbud7 05/09/11 - 01:27 pm
@countyman...Trying to make

@countyman...Trying to make Augusta crime l☺☺k Better by talking about crime in Evans will never work!!! Face it THUGS stick out like a sore thumb in Evans.

countyman
20120
countyman 05/09/11 - 01:57 pm
Evans is safer than

Evans is safer than Augusta-Richmond County.. But West Augusta is just as safe as Evans... Even with thousands people from other parts of the CSRA flocking to West Augusta daily.. The YMCA, Sams, Washington road, Augusta Exchange, Augusta Mall, Carmax area, and future Village at Riverwatch, etc..

Csrareader.. Regal Exchange suffering the same fate as Regency Mall?? Lol are you really serious? Have you seen the residential surrounding the Augusta Exchange? I didn't know there was another theatre in the area with Imax.. There's over 1 million square feet of retail and restaurant space in the area...

csrareader
csrareader 05/09/11 - 01:31 pm
I don't care if this

I don't care if this particular story is true or not. I've been to this theater and it's just not a safe place. If you're able to make it in the theater safely, don't expect to be able to actually watch a movie. The thugs are constantly talking (both among themselves and on their cell phones). If they're not talking on their phones, they are texting all throughout the movie. The theater management is afraid of the thugs, so don't expect them to even attempt to stop the talking or cell phone use.

csrareader
csrareader 05/09/11 - 01:33 pm
Countyman - crime and the

Countyman - crime and the criminal element killed Regency Mall and it will kill Regal Cinemas. Give it time.

countyman
20120
countyman 05/09/11 - 01:55 pm
What criminal element and

What criminal element and crime??? The Avg Houshold Income surrounding(1-2 miles) the Augusta Exchange is probably between $90-$100k.. I haven't heard you mention any crimes yet.. When do you ever hear about crimes at the theatre?? Criminals have to travel to the theatre to committ crimes.. There are no poor people or working class surrounding the Augusta Exchange... Bascially it sounds like you're afraid of a bunch of teenagers..

People in Augusta hear the same thing everytime.. Whenever a crime takes place the property is turning into Regency mall... It doesn't matter where the property is located or the crime rate in the area... The Regency Mall is located in a working class area..

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 05/09/11 - 01:44 pm
I am with you on this one

I am with you on this one countryman, this doesn't sound right. I have been to Reagl 20 hundreds of times over many years and I have never had a problem and there is ALWAYS a cop there on duty.

This story doesn't sound right. He grabbed the gun and could not get it away and so the punk puts on a set of knucks?

I am calling a foul there,

Brad

iLove
iLove 05/09/11 - 02:14 pm
csrareader: Please explain

csrareader: Please explain why your "attack" story has NEVER been in the news?

Only "thugs" (which is code name for something else) talk on cell pohones in the theatre? I sure have seen people of ALL shapes and sizes do this.

csrareader
csrareader 05/09/11 - 02:20 pm
iLove, what "attack" story

iLove, what "attack" story are you talking about? I certainly didn't mention one. However, I did say that crime and the criminal element will take down Regal Cinemas. Give it time. You're right. People of all shapes and sizes tallk and disrupt movies at Regal, and in my opinion, they are all thugs. The description certainly doesn't apply to any "code name," as you imply. If you feel safe there, enjoy. I don't.

csrareader
csrareader 05/09/11 - 02:22 pm
Countyman wrote: "The Avg

Countyman wrote: "The Avg Houshold Income surrounding (1-2 miles) the Augusta Exchange is probably between $90-$100k."

I wasn't aware that crime only occurs in low income housing areas. Crime is a result of the crowd that attends events and/or venues.

55 F-100
55 F-100 05/09/11 - 02:30 pm
Yet another good reason for a

Yet another good reason for a concealed carry weapon permit and firearm training, and a decal on your car window......smile, wait for the flash!

Sweet son
Sweet son 05/09/11 - 03:45 pm
Why wait from Thursday to

Why wait from Thursday to Sunday to report the "incident?" Sounds fishy! Why was the "victim" not identified?

Patty-P
Patty-P 05/09/11 - 03:56 pm
Story sounds foul to me too.

Story sounds foul to me too.

Dixieman
Dixieman 05/09/11 - 04:06 pm
csareader - maybe you are

csareader - maybe you are going to the wrong movies over there?

csrareader
csrareader 05/09/11 - 04:10 pm
It doesn't matter what movie

It doesn't matter what movie you go to at Regal Cinemas. You still have to negotiate the parking lot and entrance foyer.

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 05/09/11 - 04:15 pm
Countyman I do not make

Countyman I do not make anything close to 90,000 a year and we both work. If I did I would go to Atlanta and buy everything I need

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 05/09/11 - 04:38 pm
Sweet son, I am smelling

Sweet son, I am smelling something here too.

Scots reject independence in historic vote

EDINBURGH, Scotland — Scottish voters have rejected independence, deciding to remain part of the United Kingdom after a historic referendum that shook the country to its core.