Georgia county keeps Rebel flag flying

Middle Georgia's Dodge County won't take down Confederate banner

GRANT BLANKENSHIP/THE TELEGRAPH
The Battle Flag of the Confederacy flies next to a memorial to Confederate war dead near the Dodge County Courthouse in Eastman.

EASTMAN, Ga. -- About 60 people showed up Tuesday evening at the Dodge County Courthouse in an attempt to convince county commissioners to reconsider a vote last month that allows the Confederate flag fly in front of the courthouse year-round.

According to the Macon Telegraph, Edward DuBose, president of the state chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, and John Battle, president of the NAACP’s Dodge County chapter, addressed commissioners Tuesday, telling them that Confederate flag opponents will be in the fight for the long haul to get it removed from courthouse property.

“You can be legally right sometimes, but morally wrong,” DuBose said. “I shouldn’t be in Dodge County because of this issue.”

DuBose said the flag might be seen as a symbol of heritage by one segment of society, but blacks view it as a symbol of oppression and racism.

Battle added that black people in Dodge County are willing to let the flag fly on courthouse property one day a year -- Confederate Heritage Day -- but not every day. He said he had no problem with any residents who want to fly the Confederate flag on their private property or in front of their businesses, but the courthouse is a public building. As a taxpayer, he said, he shouldn’t have to see it when he goes there to pay his taxes.

“I’m not saying that the heritage needs to be done away with,” said Battle, whose voice rose to a shout several times during his presentation. “I’m asking the board do the right thing. It’s not even a legal flag.”

In 2002, the county commission voted to fly the flag one day a year, but Battle said it has flown continuously. Last month, the board officially voted to fly the flag every day.

jrbfromga
jrbfromga 05/04/11 - 10:03 am
Please do not refer to the

leebraxjr
leebraxjr 05/04/11 - 10:08 am
I think people have become to

I think people have become to attached with flags, if a flag regardless of what it represents define you as a human than you have more problems than the flag.

southern2
southern2 05/04/11 - 10:59 am
This is another example of

This is another example of the NAACP outliving their usefulness. Surely, there must be more important issues facing their cause than this. Maybe we can get them to boycott the state like they did in SC, our tourism could use a boost.

azdesertrat
azdesertrat 05/04/11 - 11:01 am
I say "THUMBS UP" Dodge

I say "THUMBS UP" Dodge County, keep OUR flag flying year round! This is the South, by golly, and the Confederate flag is part of our heritage. My family has been a part of Georgia since the mid 1700's; we have faught in the War of Southern Independence and I am very proud of my heritage and the Confederate flag. It's a flag, a Southern Flag of heritage. If you don't like it MOVE!!!!!

corgimom
corgimom 05/04/11 - 11:44 am
"Battle added that black

"Battle added that black people in Dodge County are willing to let the flag fly on courthouse property one day a year -- Confederate Heritage Day -- but not every day."

I was stunned when I read this.

Since when does the NAACP get to decide when a flag should or should not be flown? Who elected those people?

Did EVERY black person in Dodge county decide this?

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/04/11 - 11:51 am
Should there be limits to

Should there be limits to what type flags can be put on the courthouse?

OhWell
OhWell 05/04/11 - 11:55 am
Maybe it is time for Dubose

Maybe it is time for Dubose and Battle to get the HELL out of Dodge!

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 05/04/11 - 01:09 pm
"Please do not refer to the

"Please do not refer to the Confederate flag as the "Rebel" flag. It is the flag of a nation that, like many others, simply no longer exists."

If you knew your hertiage, you would then know, that flag is not an offical banner of the Confederacy, it is just the battle flag of some units of the Confederacy. I am not certain what a "Rebel" flag, but I guess it is rebellious to fly the flag associated with dead republic year round on public properity.

"we have faught in the War of Southern Independence and I am very proud of my heritage and the Confederate flag. It's a flag, a Southern Flag of heritage. If you don't like it MOVE!!!!!"

Most people who are against this flag were not brought here on their own free will. If you want them to move, since they didnt have to pay for them to get here, why don't you pay for them to go where they want to go!

KSL
KSL 05/04/11 - 01:38 pm
Gee whiz, onlysane. I had no

Gee whiz, onlysane. I had no idea we have so many former slaves alive today.

Seriously, you might want to rethink your wording of the first sentence of the last paragraph.

NewHere
NewHere 05/04/11 - 01:51 pm
I am so glad I am not in

I am so glad I am not in disgusta anymore.

jonbrunk
jonbrunk 05/04/11 - 02:45 pm
"Battle added that black

Does anyone believe this? It would appear that as soon as race-based organizations like the NAACP obtain acquiescence on one such issue, the bar is raised the next time around--like the issue over the flag flying over the courthouse in SC: when it came down, the NAACP were quiet for a while. Now they want it off the premises altogether. Eventually, the NAACP would demand that Dodge County take the flag down on that one day a year and that it never go up again.

DuBose: "“You can be legally right sometimes, but morally wrong.”

Battle: "It’s not even a legal flag."

Which is it?

southern2
southern2 05/04/11 - 04:47 pm
Great photography by Grant

Great photography by Grant Blankenship/The Telegraph. Beautiful shot.

azdesertrat
azdesertrat 05/04/11 - 05:50 pm
To onlysane1left - #1. The

To onlysane1left - #1. The War of Southern Independence was not started or faught over slaves, therefore the Confederate battle flag has NOTHING to do with slavery whatsoever. In fact, black slaves were actually brought into this country under the Unites States of America flag. . .the Stars and Stripes. They were brought into this country by northern traders through the northern ports. So if the NAACP really wants to have a BEEF about a flag, it's the Stars and Stripes they should be gripping about, not the southern battle flag of the Confederacy.

#2. Of course you will NEVER read this in any American History Book, but the FIRST black slave owner in the beautiful United States of America, was a black man from Virginia named Anthony Johnson who in 1654 was granted an indentured servant of his named John Casor to be his slave for life.

More people need to be educated about the TRUE facts of the War of Southern Independence and LEAVE OUR FLAG ALONE!!!!!!!!!

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 05/04/11 - 07:50 pm
I've got another one, one

I've got another one, one question, az, if the civil
War had nothing to do with slavery, and it was about states rights, then what rights were they fighting about? I'll wait patiently for your skewed answer but it was always about crops and slaves harvesting those crops. Next who cares who had slaves, does that make the whole idea about slavery any better because a black sold another black person or was the "owner" of another human being?

Which brings me back to my original point, why is this flag flying if it is not official banner of the confederacy!

KSL
KSL 05/04/11 - 08:43 pm
Onlysane, I direct you to

That should answer your question about why the Civil War was fought.

KSL
KSL 05/04/11 - 09:03 pm
Hard time getting this to

Hard time getting this to post.

Sweet son
Sweet son 05/04/11 - 11:59 pm
Newhere, we are glad you are

Newhere, we are glad you are gone! Surely you must be from a Yankee place, Baaaaaaaston, that is North of the Mason Dixon line. We in the South, the real South not Texas, won't let a bunch of nothings (NAACP) tell us what to do!! As others have said those NAACP guys should be gone with the wind. Tongue in cheek if you did not get it! Oh, I was bad with this post!

KSL
KSL 05/05/11 - 12:14 am
Maybe newhere needs to read

Maybe newhere needs to read that entire book I posted about.

KSL
KSL 05/05/11 - 12:24 am
From the picture, it looks

From the picture, it looks like the flag is flying quite near the Confederate memorial statue. Why have a problem with that? Statue of a Confederate soldier and the flag he problem fought under. It's not like they are flying the flag on a pole above the courthouse. It's on the grounds like the one at the state house in Cola, SC. And yes, I know that the NAACP objects to that. What they really need to object to and if the really want "to advance colored people" is the number of young black women who are giving up education and the opportunity to better themselves by having babies before they can afford them and the young men who are committing crimes and winding up in prison, and fathering those babies that the taxpayers are expected to pay for, a much more worthwhile a pursuit for the true advancement, I would say. That's not to say that there are not white people behaving the same way, but the percentage is much lower. The whole mindset to behave that way needs to change.

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 05/05/11 - 12:36 am
I hate to tell you guys, but

I hate to tell you guys, but they kinda have quite a few points on this. First, that is the Confederate Battle Flag, which was indeed used as a symbol of oppression during the Civil Rights Movement in the South. If you were going to fly a Confederate Flag, or any other flag for that matter, it shouldn't be the battle flag and it should be in a tertiary position under the US and state flag. Second, this is a GOVERNMENT BUILDING!!!! Why is this still an issue? It shouldn't be flown over a government building anymore. The NAACP is actually not asking for anything that's not unreasonable for once.

unclemorriss
unclemorriss 05/05/11 - 07:12 am
I see the Chronicle saw fit

I see the Chronicle saw fit to remove my post stating the problem is the print media stirring the pot by giving the NAACP a venue to spew their racist rants! Lest we forget, the Confederate States of America WAS a country, with a government and constitution. Therefore, it was not a "Civil" War, but a war between two recognized nations!

KSL
KSL 05/05/11 - 07:51 am
Unless that is a mighty tall

Unless that is a mighty tall statute, it doesn't appear to be flying "over a government building" or above a US flag. It's flying in close proximity to a Confederate Soldier monument. And it was the flag he fought under.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 05/05/11 - 08:29 am
" As a taxpayer, he said, he

" As a taxpayer, he said, he shouldn’t have to see it when he goes there to pay his taxes."

Interesting point. Let's give every tax payer in that county a vote for every dollar they pay in county taxes. The people who are providing the majority of the support for the county should have the right to choose what flag flies at its courthouse. You want a bigger say? Simply put your money where your mouth is.

bclicious
bclicious 05/05/11 - 10:12 am
We should fly the original

We should fly the original "South Park" flag there instead. That would get the NAACP to shut up!

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 05/05/11 - 11:06 am
The people who are providing

Gee, that sounds like fascism. Companies, and the rich would then run the country and put their flags up because they then pay the most to have it their way. (Which they do now, but it just isn't that obivious.)

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 05/05/11 - 11:21 am
"Onlysane, I direct you to

"Onlysane, I direct you to chapter 10 of the book, 33 Questions About American History You're Not Supposed to Ask, by Thomas E Woods. He is a best selling author and historian who got his undergraduate degree from Harvard and his Masters and PhD from Columbia. While you are at it, you should check out the other 32 questions."

You give Dr. Woods' credentials like they have weight. I know a guy that has a BA from Columbia, and a JD from Harvard, and most people will willingly call him the biggest idiot in the world. So, please don't drop Ivy League schools on me, and think that it's going to make me say this guy knows what he is talking about. I'll read it, but the skepticism will be strong.

KSL
KSL 05/05/11 - 11:51 am
Onlysane, I'm glad you picked

Onlysane, I'm glad you picked up on the reason I gave you those credentials. You just didn't glean the real reason. LOL.

It's nice to see that not all Ivy League grads are flaming liberals. Dr. Woods' credential that matters to me is the fact that he is the New York Times bestselling author of 11 books.

Personally I do think the Ivy League education is a good credential, for the most part. Lots of people in my family have attended Ivy League schools, including me.

However, one of the least capable college students I have ever encountered was unfortunately a black girl from Georgia, one of 3 girls from Georgia admitted to my college that year. It was quite obvious she was there only because of affirmative action. And before folks start screaming racism on my part, balance that I found that year was that a male student from the black high school in my town was admitted to MIT, and rightfully so. He had the credentials and he did well.

Chillen
Chillen 05/05/11 - 12:50 pm
If obama keeps up his

If obama keeps up his nonsense some of us may be adopting that flag when the great divide occurs. America will not make it as a whole nation under current conditions. We are too far apart in what we want.

Some want total govt control over their lives. From how many miles they can drive their car, green regulations, all the way down to when they are allowed to clip their fingernails.

Some us us want basic laws along with maximum individual freedom, individual choice & capitalism.

Let's just divide peacefully & get it over with.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 05/05/11 - 01:19 pm
"Gee, that sounds like

"Gee, that sounds like fascism. Companies, and the rich would then run the country and put their flags up because they then pay the most to have it their way."

Onlysane, I think you need to brush up on the definition of Facism...

"a political philosophy, movement, or regime that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition"

Now let's think about that definition...the NCAAP wants to forcible supress their opposition (the people who are currently flying a flag they don't approve of).

Yeah, that knife can cut both ways, can't it?

To clarify, at no time did I suggest there be a dictorial leader or an autocratic government. All I suggested was that the people who contibute to the society get to have a vote and the people who drain the society do not.

That's not facism...at least it's not Webster's definition.

And before anyone jumps on me, I'm just pointing out a major flaw in Onlysane's argument. I'm not calling anyone (including the NAACP) facists.

noaharkwright
noaharkwright 05/05/11 - 01:29 pm
These comments are really,

These comments are really, really sad.