Man arrested after Broad Street break-ins

Authorities have captured a man who they believe broke into four cars parked along Broad Street this morning.

According to Richmond County sheriff’s Lt. Calvin Chew, Randall Logan Crawford, 21, of Lucky Bear Lane in North Augusta, was spotted pulling on car handles on the 900 and 1000 blocks of Broad Street around 1 a.m.

Crawford was charged with four counts of entering an automobile. Chew said all vehicles were unsecured at the time of the incident.

countyman
19731
countyman 04/29/11 - 11:42 am
I never understood why people

I never understood why people leave their car doors open.. While Artist Row is a safe area to live especially the main area 10th-11th.. Property crimes do take place in nice areas..

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/29/11 - 11:51 am
I never understood why people

I never understood why people have to steal....

IHeartAugusta
IHeartAugusta 04/29/11 - 12:27 pm
My car has been broken into

My car has been broken into twice when the doors were locked. Once at home (they broke the rear window) and once at the Augusta Canal when I was walking my dog (pried a screw driver between the window and door to break it). Both times, the value of the items stolen from my vehicle were not enough to allow an insurance claim to be filed due to the fact that the insurance companies depreciate your poseesions. Hundreds of CD's are valued at almost nothing compared to the $10-15 replacement cost of each. This means that the cost of the repairs had to come out of my own pocket, and I had to replace all of the items that were stolen.

That's why some people leave their doors unlocked...at least you don't have to pay for the repairs that way....sad but true.

Taylor B
Taylor B 04/29/11 - 12:31 pm
Iheart, I agree, my corvettes

Iheart, I agree, my corvettes window costs about $600. I leave it unlocked and empty. The thing is unstealable with the immobilizer activated anyway.

Sweet son
Sweet son 04/29/11 - 02:10 pm
If the cars were "unsecured"

If the cars were "unsecured" how did he "break in?" I agree with leaving the car unlocked with no valuables. Once the "dude" looks around and finds there is nothing to steal hopefully he will leave. Insurance deductables are high! I think the charge is "entering an auto."

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/29/11 - 03:17 pm
I always lock my car because

I always lock my car because I do not want my car stolen. I want to know if anyone has entered it. I do not want to get into my car and discover that something has been put in there or "planted" without my knowledge. I do not want to find SOMEONE (an uninvited/unwelcome passenger) in the car to take me by surprise either because I was foolish enough to leave the car unlocked. I am a woman of small stature and a slight disability. I do not wish to do battle with someone, which would probably hurt me more than the assailant, if I can more likely avoid it by simply locking my car doors. Everyone has to decide for themselves their own level of security. I realize I'll have to pay for the damage if someone breaks into my car, but I'd rather have my car damaged and know someone is up to no good, than pay the consequences of not knowing.

airbud7
airbud7 04/29/11 - 06:51 pm
Agree with everyone. Taylor

Agree with everyone.
Taylor B, can I pleeeease use your Vette tomorrow night, I promise I will take Goooood care of her.☺☺☺

CabisKhan
CabisKhan 04/30/11 - 09:28 am
Of many stories from friends

Of many stories from friends of car break-ins one was at the curb at the entrance to Trinity Hospital in broad daylight. Expensive broken window, stolen pocketbook w/ invaluable keepsakes inside, in spite of a car alarm. Best to leave unlocked and empty; perhaps a pack of menthols to feed the poor animal.

travisp73
travisp73 04/30/11 - 09:55 am
Or he needs to get caught in

Or he needs to get caught in the act like that clown that got blasted off of meadowbrook....

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/30/11 - 12:10 pm
CabisKhan, no, it is not best

CabisKhan, no, it is not best for me, or my daughters, or my sons, or my mother or anyone else I know to leave their car unlocked even with no valuables in it. It is unwise. It is better to pay for the damages and know someone may be in your car or it is not as you left it, than to enter your car and find someone else has hidden in it and you are now in danger of bodily harm or car-jacking. There are many other things that can happen because of an unlocked car besides simple theft.

Sweet son
Sweet son 04/30/11 - 12:55 pm
Cabis, you wouldn't be

Cabis, you wouldn't be talking about Kools or Newports, would you?