Deal won't halt Ga. gas tax hike tied to formula

ATLANTA — More pain at the pump is on the way for Georgia motorists, as the state's gas tax is set to rise by about 3 cents a gallon on Sunday as a result of a formula tied to fuel prices.

The increase — which also will add an additional two cents a gallon in many counties — takes effect as part of a tax rate change that usually takes place twice a year. Part of the state gas tax is pegged to the average price of gas, and when that price rises, the tax jumps as well.

Gov. Nathan Deal, a Republican who could issue an executive order to freeze the rate, said it was unlikely he would do so.

"I think it's real unlikely that we would put a freeze on it," Deal told reporters Tuesday at a press conference. "I think for a change to be made it's something the General Assembly should take up rather than the governor just ad hoc on his own taking action on it."

Deal's predecessor, Gov. Sonny Perdue, halted what would have been a 2.9-cent-per-gallon jump in June 2008, saying the state should not reap a $70 million to $80 million tax windfall because of spiking pump prices. He also suspended the state sales tax on gasoline for a month in 2005 as prices soared in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

The gas tax issue has long frustrated Georgia motorists, and lawmakers this year considered making changes to the gas tax rules but adjourned without taking action.

Chillen
Chillen 04/27/11 - 01:45 pm
Deal says. "I think for a

Deal says. "I think for a change to be made it's something the General Assembly should take up rather than the governor just ad hoc on his own taking action on it."

Boy Deal, you could not be more WRONG. It is time for you to stand up and do the right thing for the Georgia citizens. Loser.

blackindependent
blackindependent 04/27/11 - 03:28 pm
Why would you WANT the

Why would you WANT the governor to do this when the general assembly should have done it months ago if not years? Sure, the gove is not acting very leader like, but I guess you LIKE the idea of a heavy handed governor who uses executive power like it was no big deal.

When Sonny did it, it was an emergency situation that had to be fixed right away and he did the right thing. This thing has been coming for months and the whole legislature could have fixed it for all time if THEY had the guts.

tanbaby
tanbaby 04/27/11 - 03:35 pm
just another way for the

just another way for the government to stick it to us !!!!!

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 04/27/11 - 03:56 pm
mo money mo money!

mo money mo money!

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/27/11 - 04:30 pm
Remember both the Gov. and

Remember both the Gov. and your illustrious "legislative delegation" come election time. They are all looking for ways to stick it to us and kick us when we are down. They have spent us into oblivion and now they are looking for every little chance to build in automatic tax and fee increases. Either the "legislative delegation" or the Gov. could have stopped this, and probably another one in July, but they all turned their back on us. "Let them eat cake.....while we steal some more of their money." I wish a pox on all politicians.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 04/27/11 - 04:53 pm
ACES will never post Deal's

ACES will never post Deal's response to the issue as an editorial, then they have the nerve to talk about bias in media......

kadybug30
kadybug30 05/05/11 - 09:25 pm
I just received an email

I just received an email response from Governor Deal's office. Gov Deal ore more likely his office replied to my email concerning the gas tax hike. I read about his comments re: doing nothing for Georgians in regards to the tax increase May1 and impending one coming in July! The response I received was incredibly condescending... he actually told me to contact my representative and to do that I should contact the board of voters...really? Already did that I looked up my reps website, duh. Then his email said should I have further questions to contact the Georgia Department of Revenue as they would appreciate my comments and suggestions...really? Unbelievable! I am writing to all Georgia newspapers to see if I can get his or more likely his office's repsonse published. Nothing like passing the buck! Thanks Nathan Deal! I will be doing everything in my power to make sure you are NOT re-elected!