City overrides EEO report in firefighter case

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 4:25 PM
Last updated 4:28 PM

The city has overruled a recent determination by its equal employment office that a veteran firefighter was denied a promotion because he was black.

In a March 31 investigative report, EEO Director Jacqueline Humphreys determined that Augusta Fire Lt. William Dickerson had been refused a promotion because his name was on an expired list of qualified candidates, while other white lieutenants had been promoted from an expired list.

Deputy Administrator Bill Shanahan said Wednesday he disagreed. “Based on the information that was collected, I don’t think the fire department did anything wrong,” he said. Around 2006, the department was ordered to change its policy and make the lists valid for two years, he said. But first, a remaining firefighter on an undated list was promoted, Shanahan said.

“Since that policy was created, they have followed that policy,” he said. However, the department is reviewing plans to implement an outside test for promotions, Shanahan said.

City Administrator Fred Russell said officials do not believe Dickerson misrepresented facts in making his February complaint to the EEO office.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/27/11 - 04:47 pm
It doesn't take a genius to

It doesn't take a genius to be a fireman. You need conscientious, punctual, physically fit individuals. The city is mostly black and that should be reflected in the Fire Dept. Do away with all written tests. Let the supervisors ratings be the guiding light and make them understand about half those promoted should be blacks. If you MUST have some kind of test, make it a hands on, physical test that simulates actual firefighting.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 04/27/11 - 05:10 pm
If the system was fair and

If the system was fair and since Dickerson was on the expired list and not eligible for promotion, then, NO ONE ELSE should have been eligible. If it can be proven that there were other people on the list that got promotions that were on the expired list, Mr Dickerson's case iof discrimination should be heard. The Deputy Adminstrator did not state that no candidates getting promotions that were on the expired list for him to dismiss this claim, therefore his statement sounds very fishy to me. "I don't think the fire department did any thing wrong." Does that sound like a person who has looked over the facts and knows what happened?

Sweet son
Sweet son 04/27/11 - 05:26 pm
The question is was anyone

The question is was anyone promoted from the expired list? After that is determined then Dickerson should be considered the same as anyone else. Race card next!

sjsd17
sjsd17 04/27/11 - 06:21 pm
Riverman...are you saying

Riverman...are you saying "firemen" are not intelligent or we just don't need to be "smart"???? Just a bit of FYI...most large Fire Departments require candidates to have a degree in order to be considered...everyone with a degree doesn't always have a job in the field of their degree and some who have them realize that helping others in a dire time is worth more than what they make!!!!
Doing away with written tests is the "good 'ol boy system" and that mentality should not exist in today's world. Give tests, make a list and follow it regardless of what color someone is!!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/27/11 - 06:41 pm
Sjsd17, of course not. A job

Sjsd17, of course not. A job as a fireman is a highly valued and esteemed position around the neighborhood I grew up in. However, if you are telling me a fireman has to have a college degree, I believe we've gone too far. Give me a fireman who can weild an axe, climb ladders and carry me out of the Pinnacle Club if it catches on fire.

sjsd17
sjsd17 04/27/11 - 07:55 pm
Riverman...Ok, just wanted to

Riverman...Ok, just wanted to make sure that you weren't saying we(yes, I'm a firefighter) are not smart. As I stated earlier..most all major fire departments in the country require the people who apply for a position to have a degree...so it's definitey come to that...and I don't really care if you have a degree or not, as long as you can perform your job.

showboat
showboat 04/27/11 - 07:29 pm
THIS GUY JUST GOT IN TOWN

THIS GUY JUST GOT IN TOWN LAST WEEK AND NOW IS MAKEING A RULEING ON CASE. LOL

sjsd17
sjsd17 04/27/11 - 07:56 pm
showboat...that's what he was

showboat...that's what he was hired to do.

PR
PR 04/27/11 - 09:08 pm
Typical Dis-gusta politics.

Typical Dis-gusta politics. Business as usual...we don't care what the law is, we're Dis-Gusta governemt and we'll do what we want. The good ol' boys rule!

showboat
showboat 04/27/11 - 10:14 pm
sisd17 we are going to pay

sisd17 we are going to pay him a lot of money to make a unfair ruleing,this other guy was on the same list andgot promoted.WOW

corgimom
corgimom 04/28/11 - 06:23 am
Riverman, yes, there are

Riverman, yes, there are college degrees in fire science. There is far more to firefighting than you think.

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 04/28/11 - 09:19 am
I think at my first read of

I think at my first read of this article and the comments I took it a little personal as my father was a fireman (back in the day) and although he did NOT have a degree he was a well educated and hands on individual. I'm in my 50's now and he's gone, but my children and all his grandchildren admired that he was a fireman. My son has his fireman's hat when he was a captain and proudly holds onto it. It is however, alot different now with the new structures and fighting fire overall is much more technical than ever. The guys with these degrees surely must be able to pass the physical because it's very hard work when they do have a fire. God Bless our firefighters in what ever capacity they serve, right down to the cook for the firehouse.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/28/11 - 09:53 am
At the upper levels,

At the upper levels, supervisory types have to know much about all the major buildings in town, develop plans and so on. They have to have plans about how to fight certain chemical fires found in some buildings. So there is no doubt that some in the Fire Dept need a good degree of technical knowledge. When the question of raises for policemen, but not firemen came up, I took up for the firemen realizing a fireman has to have much more area specific knowledge than most think. But I still think it is foolish for a line firefighter to be required to have a college degree...but that's just me.

kmb413
kmb413 04/28/11 - 10:08 am
My husband was an Augusta

My husband was an Augusta firefighter for 10 years. He isn't stupid. He doesn't have a degree. He was able to pass the tests and get promoted.

I have also heard the last person promoted off the old list was a black man. This could be a valid reason for dropping the case.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 04/28/11 - 11:35 am
If you read the article and

If you read the article and simply apply a little thought you will see where there was no violation of current policies and no other promotions based off of the expired list thus making the complaint invalid.

This is a good firefighter but he shouldn't have gone down this road simply for a promotion.

Firefighting does require a LOT of knowledge and of course testing should be part of the system. From Emergency Medical skills to hazerdous materials to the various types of fires that must be dealt with. You may not need a college degree but you certainly need a lot of training & testing both pratical and written. Additionally, to move up in the chain of command, more written tests need to be passed to ensure you have the knowledge in the various areas for those you will be supervising. Long gone are the days of simply needing a strong axe wileding firefighter.

Accord tops list of stolen vehicles

The National Insurance Crime Bureau released its annual report on the 10 most stolen vehicles in the country earlier this month, and some residents say they aren't surprised with what they saw.