SC Senate: Make collards official vegetable

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:39 PM
Last updated 7:00 PM

COLUMBIA -- South Carolina legislators gave the lowly collard green its due Tuesday when the Senate agreed to make it the official state vegetable.

Always washed, frequently boiled and traditionally a charm for wealth in the New Year first put on Southern tables by slaves, the collard green would join dozens of other "official" things the state recognizes.

For instance, milk is the state's official beverage and state-grown tea is the state's official hospitality beverage. The Carolina wolf spider is the state's official spider and the bottlenose dolphin is the state's official mammal.

The 30-12 vote showed there were collard green doubters.

Sen. Greg Ryberg, an Aiken Republican and Wisconsin transplant, wondered if there was competition.

Sen. Larry Martin, a Pickens Republican, defended the choice. "We all know the popularity of the collard," Martin said.

"What about the green bean?" Ryberg asked in a reference to past efforts to put money into a green bean museum.

"The green bean's not leafy," Martin said flatly. "This is very specialized."

When told of what the bill actually said, Martin was surprised. "Oh, it is? I thought it was leafy," Martin said with a laugh. Nonetheless, Martin said, "collards are good for the soul."

For now, the legislation leaves the collard green standing tall over everything from arugula to zucchini, something Senators could change before a final vote Wednesday that would send the bill to the House.

It's not a bad place for collards, Martin said, waxing on a dinner table spread he loves -- collards, cornbread and black-eyed peas -- but offering a warning. "The biggest thing you do not want to do is cook them in your house -- you'll never get the smell out."

Taylor B
Taylor B 04/26/11 - 04:08 pm
Seriously?

Seriously?

justthefacts
19978
justthefacts 04/26/11 - 04:13 pm
It's nice that the Associated

It's nice that the Associated Press could work a race angle into this innocent story. Never miss an opportunity to beat that drum.

Sweet son
Sweet son 04/26/11 - 05:33 pm
I love collards!

I love collards!

keepinitreal
keepinitreal 04/26/11 - 06:40 pm
I don't know what made this

I don't know what made this wonderful vegetable a national monument for the state of SC, but Im all for it in the state of GA too. It is soooo good.

imwatching
imwatching 04/26/11 - 06:45 pm
I too like collards, but

I too like collards, but please! South Carolina ranks next to last(or close to it) in every statistic, yet passing collards as the states vegetable is what the state legislators have been working on...no wonder we're circling the drain...we deserve it.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 04/26/11 - 08:20 pm
Well... I was born in SC and

Well... I was born in SC and lived there many years, I live in Ga now. I do love collards, cornbread and black-eyed peas, but really??? they are spending valuable time on these discussions? imwatching, you may have a point.

happychimer
happychimer 04/26/11 - 08:29 pm
I love collards, and they do

I love collards, and they do not stink!

REDRIDER
REDRIDER 04/27/11 - 07:01 am
Collard greens milk wolf

Collard greens milk wolf spiders oh my.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/27/11 - 11:46 am
Not exactly chic cuisine, but

Not exactly chic cuisine, but what the heck, it'd down home. Lewis Grizzard obsessed with Georgia food when he worked for the Chicago Tribune. Nothing wrong with us wanting a plate of collards, fatback, rice and peas with sweet tea. You can't eat French cuisine and swirl wine while looking intelligent and superior everyday of the week. Most days you have to get er down fast, wipe your mouth on your shirt sleeve and get back out in the fields.

Sweet son
Sweet son 04/27/11 - 12:18 pm
You guys are making me

You guys are making me hungry! If I post my address will someone bring me some? LOL

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/27/11 - 03:38 pm
I don't know, but I'll go

I don't know, but I'll go with ya! LOL

Body found in Clark Hill Lake

About 4 p.m., the Lincoln County Sheriff's Office responded to a call that a white male, around 35-years-old, had been found near the Chamberlain's Ferry Boat landing area, according to Lincoln ...