Columbia County has phone alert system

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:00 AM
Last updated 11:25 AM

Emergency officials in Columbia County have set up an automated phone alert system  for mobile phones and are asking the public to sign up for the notifications.

Officials use the system to inform certain areas about non-emergency events  that might affect them, such as a road closures or burst water lines.

To sign up for the  alert notifications, visit online at https://columbiacountyso.onthealert.com.

Augusta  officials are  establishing a similar  system.

msgret92
msgret92 04/26/11 - 05:19 am
The above link doesn't work.

The above link doesn't work.

Einstein
Einstein 04/26/11 - 05:49 am
I wish they had an alert

I wish they had an alert system for real emergencies... Now, I would sign up for THAT! If this is the same content that Pam Tucker email everyone, I'm definitely not interested in all the spam that will be sent out on this system about lane closures, and every little thunderstorm.

lashnjo
lashnjo 04/26/11 - 09:11 am
Would it not make more sense

Would it not make more sense to use SMS alerts instead of phone alerts? Text messaging is much cheaper and faster than phone alerts. You could warn the entire county in less than 2 minutes. Although I realize not everyone texts, the vast majority of cell phones have the capability to at least receive text messages.

Sweet son
Sweet son 04/26/11 - 11:39 am
Einstein, when I saw the link

Einstein, when I saw the link I started to sign up but with what you have said I might just opt out.

Einstein
Einstein 04/26/11 - 03:58 pm
Sweet, don't let me

Sweet, don't let me discourage you, but after I signed up for her email "alerts," I was surprised at how much email I got. Ended up unsubscribing after a couple of weeks. Give it a try. You can always turn it off, I'm sure.

Students train to be first-responders

It might seem very intense for a training scenario, but the instructors of A.R. Johnson's Teen Community Emergency Response Class believe stress and realism are the best teachers.