Juvenile shot in car break-in

A juvenile was shot in the shoulder after he was caught breaking into a vehicle shortly after midnight Saturday, according to Richmond County Sheriff's Office Investigator Chris Langford.

The vehicle's owner heard someone breaking into his car on Alene Circle, off Meadowbrook Drive, and took a .40 caliber handgun with him to see what was going on, Langford wrote in a news release.

The juvenile fled with an unknown amount of money from inside the vehicle, and the vehicle's owner fired several shots, hitting the suspect once in the shoulder.

A second juvenile was seen leaving the area with the one who had broken into the vehicle, Langford said.

The wounded juvenile was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital and treated for a fracture to his left clavicle from the gunshot.

Both juveniles have been charged with entering an auto. The vehicle owner has not been charged.

Comments (70)

Imzadi
Imzadi 04/24/11 - 04:26 pm

Well within his rights to do

Well within his rights to do what he did. I am only glad the teen was not killed (to quote a Batman movie" If you kill him he aint gonna learn nothin") I on the similar note have a paintball gun (Legal for anyone) and some painballs I keep in the freezer. You would be amazed at the ammount of pain inflicted at 300 feet while still being non lethal.

ps. Works well on large dogs too.

corgimom
19240
corgimom 04/24/11 - 04:59 pm

Do wrong things, live with

Do wrong things, live with what happens.

corgimom
19240
corgimom 04/24/11 - 05:00 pm

Painballs- that's funny right

Painballs- that's funny right there!

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 04/24/11 - 05:26 pm

"The vehicle owner has not

"The vehicle owner has not been charged."

Thank God the cops are finally letting us defend ourselves before we have to die like Gillette. Folks who steal from cars are how that guy at the apartment complex ended up disabled for life. The cop killer in Athens started out stealing out of cars and ended up putting several bullets into the nearest cops. This will go a long way towards saving taxpayers & cops lives and give the criminals more reason to make an honest living.

Like the Paintball in the freezer trick. ha haah

Einstein
Einstein 04/24/11 - 05:23 pm

Oh no.... Are we going to get

Oh no.... Are we going to get all of the posts now about how these thrived are pillars of the community that are simply, "lost," and "confused?"

Sweet son
Sweet son 04/24/11 - 05:26 pm

You know guys, this use of

You know guys, this use of "deadly force" is kinda sketchy to me. The suspect did not die but a few inches could have ended in his death.

Defense of yourself, defense of others and defense of your home or place of business when you believe that great bodily harm could occur does not fit here. I am no legal expert but shooting someone over entering an automobile unless the owner feared for his life seems a bit much.

scgator
scgator 04/24/11 - 05:33 pm

Finally, a story with a

Finally, a story with a positive ending...........it has been said that if criminals knew their victims were armed, then this would go a long way in determent; or at least give them something to think about.

Einstein
Einstein 04/24/11 - 05:35 pm

Sweet, I agree with you. I

Sweet, I agree with you. I don't think you can legally shoot anyone outside of your house unless you are in fear of your life or your family members' lives. At the same time, I find it unfair that one can't defend their property.

scgator
scgator 04/24/11 - 05:54 pm

Legally, your yard is your

Legally, your yard is your personal property and as such, you have the right to defend it. I will agree that someone possibly losing their life is somewhat extreme, but criminals know and accept that risk when they CHOOSE to do what they do. THEY ARE NOT THE VICTIMS !

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/24/11 - 06:16 pm

This has been the crime of

This has been the crime of choice lately around the Atlanta area... 2 grown husky men broke in about 30 cars in this neighborhood.....police were called & even helicopter but they got away....a few miles from here the same thing happened last week.....keep in mind some cars have the garage opener & they can use that for a later date/or then to crash in the door inside garage.....most of these jerks have a get away car nearby.....run through the woods to the car for a fast get away.....guns-computers-money ........easy pickins for the crooks..
We started the neighborhood watch after that....now when we see anything out of the norm, we get the tag # & report.....also we are all on the email list to report to each other........it is nerve racking to feel unsafe in your own home/yard....but it happens everywhere.
I don't blame the guy for shooting..

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 04/24/11 - 06:25 pm

Crime Reports, it's not the

Crime Reports, it's not the "cops" who "are finally letting us defend ourselves", it's the laws that allow it or ban it. While you may be happy that the "cops" didn't charge the owner, they don't "allow" it. By the way, while I agree that we need to be able to defend ourselves against criminals, the homeowner violated the law by shooting. Right or wrong, agree or disagree, the law plainly states that you must be in fear for your life to use deadly force.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/24/11 - 06:29 pm

I doubt many will find the

I doubt many will find the homeowner guilty on a jury trial.

crackertroy
crackertroy 04/24/11 - 06:40 pm

Glad the homeowner was not

Glad the homeowner was not charged. Guess Augusta just isn't liberal enough yet.

crackertroy
crackertroy 04/24/11 - 06:42 pm

And Sweet Son sounds like

And Sweet Son sounds like someone who has never had his car stolen before....

travisp73
travisp73 04/24/11 - 06:42 pm

How can anyone be concerned

How can anyone be concerned about what the property owner did? The thug had it coming. If more people would defend their property in the same manner i can promise you we would have a drop in crime.

clumber
clumber 04/24/11 - 06:51 pm

The laws which make it a

The laws which make it a crime to protect yourself and your property were enacted by those who profit the most from crime. They are known as lawyers (judges are lawyers too).

Patty-P
Patty-P 04/24/11 - 06:58 pm

fatboyhog...I hope the

fatboyhog...I hope the shooter is reading this commentary. He should just TELL them he felt his life was at stake. I'm on the shooters side. You don't know at that moment if the perps are armed or not. Why wait for them to shoot you first?

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/24/11 - 07:02 pm

I remember something like

I remember something like this happening a couple of years ago. The resident who shot the man said he thought the crook had a gun in his hand. End of story. No charges.

Tisk tisk what is this world coming to

Before I go into this I do

Before I go into this I do want to state that there are good respectful lawyers in this world and when someone finds both of them please put their names it into this blog. But I wonder how many money grubbing lawyers have contacted the boy and his family so far?

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 04/24/11 - 07:12 pm

Its just a shame, he didn't

Its just a shame, he didn't have better aim. Its okay for them to come in our homes and terrorize others with guns and shoot. I only wish he would have laid him to rest.

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/24/11 - 07:17 pm

Oh, I think you are perfectly

Oh, I think you are perfectly within your rights in GA to defend property, to include popping someone who is getting away with your property. These amendments were passed in, I believe, 2006. I am sure some liberal prosecutors will question shooting someone who is running with your property but I would never vote to convict this guy.

Article 2 of Chapter 3 of Title 16 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to justification and excuse as a defense to certain crimes, is amended by inserting immediately following Code Section 16-3-23 a new Code section to read as follows:"16-3-23.1.A person who uses threats or force in accordance with Code Section 16-3-21, relating to the use of force in defense of self or others, Code Section 16-3-23, relating to the use of force in defense of a habitation, or Code Section 16-3-24, relating to the use of force in defense of property other than a habitation, has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and use force as provided in said Code sections, including deadly force."

Sweet son
Sweet son 04/24/11 - 07:56 pm

cracker, I have had a car

cracker, I have had a car stolen. Never saw it again. It was one of the nicest I owned but I would not shoot someone stealing my car or anything else in my yard. If the shooter was not charged with anything I am like one of the other commenters who said wait for the attorneys and civil suits.

unclemorriss
unclemorriss 04/24/11 - 08:10 pm

I will shoot anyone I catch

I will shoot anyone I catch stealing ANYTHING I bought and paid for. I don't care if it a roll of toliet tissue!

Patty-P
Patty-P 04/24/11 - 08:37 pm

It would be a crying shame if

It would be a crying shame if the robbers were REWARDED in any civil suit. That's why juveniles are out of control here. Too many excuses being made for ignorance. Kid shouldn't have been out at that time in the first place.

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 04/24/11 - 09:17 pm

Whether or not I agree or

Whether or not I agree or disagree with the law in immaterial. The law plainly states, "The use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to prevent trespass on or other tortious or criminal interference with real property other than a habitation or personal property is not justified unless the person using such force reasonably believes that it is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony." O.C.G.A 40-3-24 (b). I just want to post the law as it is written, so that there is no misinformation passed on here. Of course, as a homeowner, you do what your conscience dictates. I posted the law.

boats2c
boats2c 04/24/11 - 09:28 pm

I have signs on my property:

I have signs on my property: "The owner of this property is a combat veteran of the Vietnam war. There is nothing on this property worth dieing for!" Hope all can read & heed cause I'm always packing!

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 04/24/11 - 09:31 pm

Maybe he yelled at them

Maybe he yelled at them first, if they were brazen enough to break into a car, they are probably bullies. I don't know anything about this but my Dad taught us to not put ourselves in this type of situation. I'm not saying I would have shot them, but I don't know the whole story. The homeowner probably felt threatened and the perps put themselves in the situation. I do think the painball is pretty funny too!

scgator
scgator 04/24/11 - 09:38 pm

unclemorris, I agree with

unclemorris, I agree with you; the reasons criminals are as bold as they are is they know most people will not fight back or stand their ground.

Patty-P
Patty-P 04/24/11 - 09:46 pm

fatboyhog...more detailed

fatboyhog...more detailed information on 'forcible felony'...

(e) As used in this Code section, the term 'forcible felony' means any felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any person and further includes, without limitation, murder; felony murder; burglary; robbery; armed robbery; kidnapping; hijacking of an aircraft or motor vehicle; aggravated stalking; rape; aggravated child molestation; aggravated sexual battery; arson in the first degree; the manufacturing, transporting, distribution, or possession of explosives with intent to kill, injure, or intimidate individuals or destroy a public building; terroristic threats; or acts of treason or insurrection.

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 04/24/11 - 09:51 pm

What Code section is this

What Code section is this from?

New chair gets vet off-road to fish

Army veteran Henry Kent's new Action Trackchair has attachments for fishing, with a holder for his fishing pole and a built-in tackle box, but others can be outfitted with gunracks for hunting.