Easter name blesses Ga. Lottery winner

ATLANTA — Having a blessed last name meant good luck for one Georgia woman.

Betty J. Easter won $1 million from the Georgia Lottery on Good Friday playing an instant game. The 75-year-old also won two $1,000 prizes playing other instant games — one on the day of her big jackpot and one a few days prior.

Easter and her husband, Gollie Easter, live in Blairsville. She said she plans to spend part of her winnings on her 14-year-old granddaughter.

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 04/24/11 - 02:58 pm
Congrats to the winner. Still

Congrats to the winner. Still do not know why winners want to have there names published...

momster59
momster59 04/24/11 - 03:55 pm
Are you serious? You print

Are you serious? You print this as news? How does her name affect the laws of statistics? Her name is Easter and so god got happy with her and gave her the winning ticket when she gambled? This paper is plunging further down the news cesspool every time I venture back to give it another try. And I wonder why I cancelled my subscription.

Sweet son
Sweet son 04/24/11 - 03:59 pm
Just don't read it, mom!

Just don't read it, mom!

Jane18
Jane18 04/24/11 - 04:02 pm
It is GOD, not god(an idol)

It is GOD, not god(an idol) momster.

Einstein
Einstein 04/24/11 - 04:28 pm
Stories posted, "Congrats to

Stories posted, "Congrats to the winner. Still do not know why winners want to have there names published.."

Unfortunately, I'm afraid they don't have much of a choice. The Georgia Lootery reserves the right to use any winner's likeness in publicity campaigns designed to sucker more people into parting with their hard-earned money as a condition of receiving the lootery proceeds.

augustadog
augustadog 04/24/11 - 06:31 pm
Chill out Momster and get a

Chill out Momster and get a life. It's nice to get a feel good story every now and then.
I liked it.

Riverrunner30909
Riverrunner30909 04/24/11 - 10:17 pm
Momster aka Grumpella. Jane

Momster aka Grumpella. Jane 18 some people do not have any respect or know how to type the word GOD.

momster59
momster59 04/25/11 - 05:38 am
I'm not offended by this

I'm not offended by this article, just surprised that it is considered newsworthy. Seriously, don't think god (yep, that's how I spell it) had anything to do with steering a woman in her gambling habits. Not grouchy, happy for her, but this is non news and an example of how low the comical has come in recent times in news gathering.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/25/11 - 08:02 am
moms.....I have kin in

moms.....I have kin in those"hills" & yep they do read this & the AJC...some were born & raised right there in good ole Augusta Ga......Peach Orchard Rd-Lumpkin Rd area.....we have kin all over the place...Blairsville-Hiawassee-North Carolina-Georgia--
Just not kin to the winner though....

athenslove41
athenslove41 04/25/11 - 10:21 am
people need to watch this:

people need to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/user/QualiaSoup#p/u/10/98OTsYfTt-c (sorry if this violates the terms of posting).

Gamecocks5
Gamecocks5 04/25/11 - 11:33 am
momster, this same exact

momster, this same exact story was published in AJC so they must be a low-quality, cesspole plunging paper too. By the way, He is God.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/25/11 - 12:48 pm
Actually I thought the story

Actually I thought the story was pretty funny and although I don't believe God had anything to do with her winning, it is unusual for someone to win a million dollar jackpot and two $1,000 jackpots. The odds of this happening are extremely rare and I think most people would be interested in reading about it. I bet Mr. Easter will keep the old gal around for good with that kind of luck! :)

whataguybri
whataguybri 04/25/11 - 01:51 pm
WOw- after all the negative

WOw- after all the negative news they try to lighten the load with a positive news story and none of you can seem to handle any news that's not dark or negative! I think the posts to this story are the story and what trouble we are all in...seems we all have the blues about everything!

City Ink: New board means more work for me

First Mayor-elect Hardie Davis will be sworn in, and the very next day the work will begin. Commissioners will meet and the gavel will fall. It will be a brand new day at City Hall.