Edgefield County woman found alive in woods

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:23 PM
Last updated 9:35 PM

The search for 75-year-old Brodies McCain of Rainbow Falls Road ended in jubilation Tuesday evening when the missing Edgefield County woman was found alive around 6:30 p.m. near a relative's home.

Brodies McCain  Special
Special
Brodies McCain

The search for McCain, which had been joined vigorously by law enforcement officials throughout the day and into the night on Monday, began after a worker from the Edgefield County Senior Citizens Council found her missing and the front door to the home open around 10 a.m.

That official search had been called off around 3 p.m. Tuesday, while a volunteer search party of about 20 individuals pressed on into the evening. One of these volunteers located McCain in a densely wooded area in the general area of her own home, but farther behind a nearby relative's house.

McCain was said to have been dehydrated, but not in serious condition, before being transported to University Hospital.

She had last been seen on Saturday.

thatch56
thatch56 04/19/11 - 09:41 pm
Praise the lord!

Praise the lord!

Batman
Batman 04/19/11 - 09:42 pm
Fantastic news... Thanks to

Fantastic news... Thanks to everyone who looked for her. Wishing you a speedy recovery Ms. McCain.

Patty-P
Patty-P 04/19/11 - 09:52 pm
Good news of the day!

Good news of the day! Praying for a speedy recovery.

dani
dani 04/19/11 - 09:57 pm

Thank God she was found safe and sound.

happychimer
happychimer 04/19/11 - 10:16 pm
very good news

very good news

KSL
KSL 04/19/11 - 10:21 pm
Hoping for the same for Ms

Hoping for the same for Ms Coleman, but I fear the worst.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 04/20/11 - 08:10 am
Wonderful news!

Wonderful news!

curly123053
curly123053 04/20/11 - 08:13 am
Thank God !!

Thank God !!

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 04/20/11 - 08:19 am
Wonderful ending to this

Wonderful ending to this story!

Einstein
Einstein 04/20/11 - 08:23 am
Very good news, but did

Very good news, but did anyone ask her why she wandered off? Not that she's not allowed to, but it just makes one curious about just where someone thought they were going before they got so terribly lost, especially so very close to home. Hopefully there will be a follow-up interview after she has received medical attention.

SRVaughn5490
SRVaughn5490 04/20/11 - 08:39 am
Wonderful! Nice to hear some

Wonderful! Nice to hear some good news for a change. Praying for a quick recovery. Thank God for being with her & the love of her family to keep on searching!

iLove
iLove 04/20/11 - 08:39 am
Because they only cater to a

Because they only cater to a certain crowd.

I'm glad that she is safe! I didn't even know someone was missing.

tuffenuf4u
tuffenuf4u 04/20/11 - 09:21 am
BirninAUG, no one reads

BirninAUG, no one reads stories about missing persons.

lovebugg
lovebugg 04/20/11 - 10:03 am
Tuffenuf4u......some of us do

Tuffenuf4u......some of us do read about missing people!!!! I would want someone 2 read about my family member missing & help look 4 them if they could!!! Maybe noone that you know reads about them but some of us do care about all people!!!!!!

jross1981
jross1981 04/20/11 - 10:37 am
Just wondering, but would it

Just wondering, but would it be possible to put a tracking device on someone who has dementia (not sure if thats the case here). I'm sure some oversight would need to be involved, but it could posibbly save the person and their family some troubles and heartache.

Cadence
Cadence 04/20/11 - 10:41 am
jross, I have often thought

jross, I have often thought that is a good idea. Maybe a bracelet. I mean, I hate to microchip them like a pet, but to be able to find a person who can't take care of themselves would be great. I'm so glad this lady was found!

Einstein
Einstein 04/20/11 - 10:49 am
Jross, sure. It could be

Jross, sure. It could be done. They make wristwatches with real-time GPS tracking. The problem is that it isn't legal to put the device on anyone without their consent. To further complicate matters, adults with diminished mental capabilities aren't necessarily able to legally consent, unless someone has been designated with power of attorney rights. In which case, that person would have to provide consent to allow the tracking device to be placed on the person to be tracked. The wristwatches are being primarily marketed to parents of children now, since a parent has the legal right to place the devices on children without them necessarily approving of the ability to be tracked. I haven't seen it marketed to family members of seniors with diminished mental capacity, but I see no reason it couldn't be done if all of the legal boxes are checked.

poolmom
poolmom 04/20/11 - 11:05 am
Most nursing homes have those

Most nursing homes have those bracelets already. This was an awesome outcome! Finally, some good news. Thank The Lord!!!!

RedQuinoa
RedQuinoa 04/20/11 - 11:08 am
Yes, as poolmom said, there

Yes, as poolmom said, there is already a bracelet/necklace tracking system in place. Its use should be promoted more widely, however. The AC did a story about it: http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/2009/05/26/met_525271.shtml

Einstein
Einstein 04/20/11 - 11:10 am
Cadence, I could be mistaken,

Cadence, I could be mistaken, but I'm fairly certain that the microchips they put in pets are only good for identification of a pet that is found. The chipped animal must be in close proximity so it can be scanned to have the owner's contact information extracted from the chip. If a dog is lost there is nothing that can be done to find it with just the chip.

Jane18
Jane18 04/20/11 - 04:03 pm
Bless your heart Ms. Brodies!

Bless your heart Ms. Brodies! I am so happy you're okay. I'm with you KSL, my hope is for Ms.Coleman also.

Einstein
Einstein 04/20/11 - 07:14 pm
Another thing is that if they

Another thing is that if they used microchips, we'd probably have to buy a lot more scanners. Right now only Animal Control officers and veterinary offices have pet scanners. I would envision that we would also need pet scanners available for use by medical professionals and law enforcement. Even then, I can see complacency setting in after the 100th person was scanned and found not to have a microchip... So few people would have them that officers would simply quit trying to scan people. Also, if the person who did have a chip remembered to tell the police or animal control person that they have a chip, they would probably be cognizant enough to simply identify themselves. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it won't work. I'm just saying that there are a few things that need to be worked out first. Just my opinion on the subject. This isn't my area of expertise.

Faces of Survival: Breast Cancer Awareness Month series

Breast cancer has touched thousands of families across the Augusta area. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October, The Au­gus­ta Chronicle will be featuring ...