McDuffie students hit by car getting off the bus

Friday, April 15, 2011 6:10 PM
Last updated 11:27 PM

THOMSON --- A car hit and injured two students who had just left a McDuffie County school bus Friday afternoon.

John Daniel Dean, 19, and Callee Smith, 12, were taken by ambulance to Medical College of Georgia Hospital.

They were hit by a northbound car driven by April Guin, 26, of Tignall. The accident occurred at 4:28 p.m. on Washington Road about five miles north of Thomson.

A Georgia State Patrol trooper, Rich Fishel, reported that Guin said she had looked down to check the time on her cellphone.

When she looked up again, she saw traffic stopped in the northbound lane.

To avoid hitting a car, she steered off the road to the right, striking the students as they started up a driveway.

The students's conditions were not known Friday night.

Comments (25)

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff 04/15/11 - 06:23 pm

I cannot COUNT the number of

I cannot COUNT the number of times I've seen cars (and trucks) just FLY by a school bus with its flashers on. NEWSFLASH to the idiots who think the roads are actually NASCAR tracks --THEY ARE NOT! Before you fly by that school bus, before you change lanes barely in front of someone else without signaling -- think about whether or not you can live with yourself when you kill an innocent person with your stupidity.

Einstein
Einstein 04/15/11 - 07:04 pm

Who writes these "staff

Who writes these "staff reports?" There is no mention of the driver's name? Also, it's a truck, not a car. A pickup truck typically weighs a bit more, and has the potential to do more damage.

dawgfan1
dawgfan1 04/15/11 - 10:16 pm

Really Chronicle! Do you guys

Really Chronicle! Do you guys read these articles prior to posting them online or printing them in the paper. I counted no fewer than 3 spelling errors in this article. The trooper suddenly becomes "ishel". Then his name is spelled right but he is the one involved in the accident and on the phone. Then the girl driving is the trooper and she reports she was not injured...how nice of her to assist. Proofread people!

a few bad apples
a few bad apples 04/15/11 - 10:36 pm

Let he who is without sin

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. There, but for the grace of God goes each and everyone of us.

copperhead
copperhead 04/16/11 - 01:56 am

This person is guilty of

This person is guilty of attempted murder and should be jailed for life! Remember,it's all for the children.

corgimom
19199
corgimom 04/16/11 - 08:36 am

No, I don't check the time on

No, I don't check the time on my cellphone when I'm driving. Nor do I text, which I believe that's what she really was doing. She has a cellphone, but not a watch? There's no clock in her truck?

When I see a school bus, stopped or not, I think "kids are around here somewhere" and I pay attention.

Cadence
Cadence 04/16/11 - 09:31 am

Cellphones. I am at my wit's

Cellphones. I am at my wit's end. Hope the kids will be ok.

sueboo418
sueboo418 04/16/11 - 10:53 am

Actually corgimom, my

Actually corgimom, my boyrfriends truck doesn't have a clock and when I drive it I look at my cell for the time sometimes. I do NOT text and try not to talk either. Don't pass judgement when you don't know all the facts.

Einstein
Einstein 04/16/11 - 01:26 pm

Sue, nobody said this wasn't

Sue, nobody said this wasn't an accident. They just implied that there is criminal negligence. They also have a touch of elitism in their tone as well.... This could never happen to them because they are sooo careful. So, don't get your feelings hurt. Okay, hon?

corgimom
19199
corgimom 04/16/11 - 02:21 pm

Sueboo, I would expect

Sueboo, I would expect nothing less from you. Hope you have your auto insurance paid up, you'll need it.

Go buy a wristwatch at Walmart, it's a whole lot safer and cheaper- common sense would tell you that.

corgimom
19199
corgimom 04/16/11 - 02:23 pm

Hey, Einstein- I've been

Hey, Einstein- I've been driving 38 years, never had an accident that was my fault. Maybe it's because I don't do dangerous things like look on a cellphone *snort* for the time. You think?

"Elitism" has nothing to do with it- it's called personal responsibility and common sense.

tuffenuf4u
tuffenuf4u 04/16/11 - 03:35 pm

What was the 19 year old

What was the 19 year old doing on a school bus?

doglover123
doglover123 04/16/11 - 05:11 pm

Tuffenuf4u, obviously, he was

Tuffenuf4u, obviously, he was attending school, which is better than dropping out. He could have fallen behind one year and had to repeat a grade. Once again, you should know all the facts before you start making assumptions.
Also, not every 19 year old can afford a car. Or, perhaps, his parents felt he would be safer riding the bus to and from school, rather than taking his chances riding with a friend who was subject to texting or talking on the cell phone while driving. Odds are, they never dreamed that he would be hit while standing in a driveway by someone who claims she was checking the time on her phone. I hope both of these students are alright.

gamom
gamom 04/16/11 - 05:46 pm

According to WRDW CH 12, the

According to WRDW CH 12, the driver swirved and went to the right side of the road so that she wouldn't run into the cars stopped behind the bus. She wasn't trying to pass the bus, she was a distracted driver. I wouldn't think it would bring the same punishment as someone who was trying to pass a stopped school bus. If she hadn't swirved to the right she would have hit the back car which may have caused a chain reaction eventually hitting the back of the bus. It is quite common for young people (Yes, 26 is young.)not to wear watches these days. They use their cellphones like people used to use posket watches. Being distracted by looking at your cellphone is no worse than being distracted by changing the radio, searching for something in your purse, eating/drinking, trying to tend to a crying child who is tired of being in a car seat, or simply being sleepy or even letting your thoughts wander to problems at work or at home. Everyone enjoys pointing fingers and shaking heads when accidents occur, but NO driver can say that they have NEVER driven a vehicle and become distracted at some point.

SouthsideNorth
SouthsideNorth 04/16/11 - 06:58 pm

well put gamom... I AGREE

well put gamom... I AGREE

Einstein
Einstein 04/16/11 - 07:08 pm

Some people claim to never

Some people claim to never drive distracted... Even on this forum. As for the question about the 19 year old: I can't believe that someone would even hint at this being the student's fault.... Unbelievable.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/16/11 - 07:10 pm

Don't mind corgi. She never

Don't mind corgi. She never gets distracted - unlike us mere mortals.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/16/11 - 07:12 pm

Still, drivers need to focus

Still, drivers need to focus on driving, not eating, drinking, talking, putting on make-up, and so on. How hard is that to understand?

tuffenuf4u
tuffenuf4u 04/16/11 - 09:09 pm

I apologize for the comment

I apologize for the comment about the 19 year old. I do commend him for going to school, and even more than that, riding the school bus. Hopefully he will be okay and graduate this year. With that kind of stick to to it attitude, he has to be doing something right. As for the driver of the car, call it an accident, call it a mistake, but I sure hope she has to pay for all the misery she has caused. She could get a $5 wristwatch at WalMart.

dani
dani 04/17/11 - 11:47 am

I agree with Corgi and Autumn

I agree with Corgi and Autumn Leaves....
Pay attention!! You can't help but see something like a large yellow school bus...

.Slow down, stop, watch out for the children!!

sueboo418
sueboo418 04/17/11 - 11:18 pm

I don't like watches or

I don't like watches or bracelets on my arms, not that it's ANY of your business corgimom. Just watched the news story and thankfully both of these kids are ok. Their own father admitted that EVERYONE has been distracted for one reason or another at some point when they were driving and that if they say different they are lying. People are human and make mistakes and if you disagree with that one corgimom then I guess that makes you not human, which is probably about accurate. I'm glad these kids are going to be ok and that their father is compassionate towards the driver unlike some folks. She gave up her cellphone right off the bat for them to check it to make sure she wasn't texting or talking at the time of the accident which says allot about her character. I'm sure old Sean will probably delete me but I wish he would delete corgimom and her self righteous self!!! You are unbelievable!

sueboo418
sueboo418 04/17/11 - 11:25 pm

Thank you Einstein and Autumn. This is the exact reason I rarely post or read this stuff because of people like corgimom. Obviously no life because she spends all her time on here posting negativity.

Einstein
Einstein 04/18/11 - 12:53 am

Sue, don't sweat it. As you

Sue, don't sweat it. As you know, debate gets pretty intense here, and sometimes people resort to asserting how perfect they are as well as personal attacks. Some people are so convinced that they have to be so right that anyone who doesn't agree with them must be deficient in some way, despite well thought out rebuttals to the contrary. You wouldn't believe all of the illogical leaps that were made in the story about the blind cashier the other day. Just like the driver in this story, it was as if some of the people felt that there was no punishment too harsh for the theft of $15... All I can say is, thank god all of these people aren't serving on a jury at one time! :-)

sueboo418
sueboo418 04/18/11 - 01:26 pm

Thanks Einstein, well said.

Thanks Einstein, well said. :) I try to stay off of here for that reason! But sometimes a comment will get the best of me. And yes, thank God there is a jury "selection" process ! LOL

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/18/11 - 06:30 pm

Thanks, sueboo418. I

Thanks, sueboo418. I appreciate your thank you.