Jury awards Ft. Benning soldier $20 million

Friday, April 8, 2011 7:56 AM
Last updated 7:59 AM

COLUMBUS, Ga. -- A federal jury has awarded a Fort Benning soldier more than $20 million in a case against Coldwell Banker Mortgage -- an amount the plaintiff’s attorney called necessary to get the company’s attention.

The Columbus Ledger-Enquirer reports that jurors in the case of David Brash v. PHH Mortgage Corp., doing business as Coldwell Banker, deliberated for about six hours before ruling Monday in Brash’s favor. During the six-day trial, jurors heard that Coldwell Banker improperly reported Brash, 29, to credit bureaus which led to a “serious delinquency” on his credit report, that it refused to answer his questions or correct his account and damaged him emotionally, physically and financially, his attorneys and court documents say.

“The jury was aggravated as to how he was treated,” said Charlie Gower, an attorney who represents Brash. “I think the jury was just very mad because they were attacking David Brash the soldier and basically calling him a liar.”

corgimom
corgimom 04/08/11 - 08:10 am
There is a special level of

There is a special level of Hell- it's called trying to talk to "customer service" people in India.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/08/11 - 08:14 am
I have to agree corgi......I

I have to agree corgi......I have spent some time in that HELL.

kmb413
kmb413 04/08/11 - 09:09 am
I wish someone would mess up

I wish someone would mess up my credit like that.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 04/08/11 - 10:39 am
People must understand who

People must understand who funds "credit" bureaus.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 04/08/11 - 10:59 am
Good for him, hope the

Good for him, hope the predators learn a lesson..it will take them almost 30 minutes today to make up for that money in the verdict. Plus they will just appeal it until they reach a judge that can be bought off to reverse this good verdict.

Wait and see.

LogicalCausality
LogicalCausality 04/08/11 - 12:18 pm
What does Brash being a

What does Brash being a soldier have to do with anything in the article? Perhaps we should mention whether or not the prosecutor was a military man or, how about the military history of the judge who oversaw the trial. Stay on topic!

Also, I don't blame Coldwell for appealing. To be frank, $20 million is quite an exaggerated amount.

Any person taking that amount of cash as reparations for damaged credit under the guise of the action being "necessary to get the company's attention" should be suspect. Their attention to what? That they damage the lives of those they profit from? I think they are well aware. If the prosecution felt that the company needed large scale damage a class-action would be filed.

Coldwell and Brash are equally self-interested, lest anyone forget.

check
check 04/08/11 - 12:57 pm
That Brash is a Soldier has a

That Brash is a Soldier has a lot to do with his case. When a Soldier's credit is hosed up, they are nondeployable. Inability to pass a security clearance because of bad credit ruins a Soldier's career. Further, there is a history of loan companies preying on Soldiers because of their solid pay. Way to go on this outcome.

LogicalCausality
LogicalCausality 04/08/11 - 01:57 pm
Thank you, check! I was

Thank you, check! I was totally unaware of this. I wish the article would have included this information, because it certainly adds weight to Brash's case.

scgator
scgator 04/08/11 - 05:25 pm
About 6 years ago, I had an

About 6 years ago, I had an IRS lean filed on me at the Aiken Courthouse for almost $8000.00; arguing back and forth went on for three years. Finally, i got a letter from them saying it was a mistake and they ACTUALLY owed me a little over $3000.00 ! They sent it to me and also sent me a "letter of debt release". They only problem now is that the "lien" still shows up on my credit record; and I was informed that it had to stay on record for ten years and THEN it would be removed.....