Man invades woman's home, steals money

An elderly woman told deputies she saw a man kick in her front door during the storm early Tuesday.

The 85-year-old told officers she heard a clap of thunder and then saw a man kick in the front door of her home, in the 1400 block of Heard Avenue, around 3:30 a.m. According to a Richmond County Sheriff's Office incident report, the man wrapped a sweater around the victim's face, grabbed her hands and said he wouldn't hurt her if she didn't do anything wrong.

The man then took an unknown amount of coins and left through the broken door. The woman told authorities she tried to call 911 but couldn't reach anyone. She was later transported to a local hospital for evaluation, police said.

Patty-P
Patty-P 04/05/11 - 10:12 pm
Stealing from an 85 year old.

Stealing from an 85 year old. Shameful.

tuffenuf4u
tuffenuf4u 04/05/11 - 10:36 pm
The last sentence says it

The last sentence says it all:" She was later transported to a local hospital for evaluation, police said." She was not taken for treatment, she was taken for evaluation, which insinuates things may not have been as she reported them.Whatever the case< I certainly hope she is okay.

Patty-P
Patty-P 04/05/11 - 11:10 pm
@tuffenuf4u...I believe in a

@tuffenuf4u...I believe in a case where an elderly person is a victim of a crime such as this one, an evaluation is appropriate. This type of stress is difficult both physically and mentally for someone 85. They are a little more delicate. I hope all is well.

micbare
micbare 04/05/11 - 11:32 pm
God bless this little lady.

God bless this little lady. May God hold her and guide her thru this. That said I would like to stomp the face off of the piece trash that did this to her

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 04/06/11 - 12:01 am
The line to do that could

The line to do that could make the one in Airplane
look sad, ahahah

Hope the lady is OK. Not taking an 85 yr old crime victim to the hospital to be checked would be risky. Thank God we can still afford to do those things. God Bless her heart, hope she gets over it.

Tisk tisk what is this world coming to
The article said she couldn't

The article said she couldn't reach anyone at 911. Are you insinuating that no one at 911 answered the telephone?

corgimom
corgimom 04/06/11 - 07:23 am
No, during a power outage, if

No, during a power outage, if you have a wireless phone, it goes dead.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/06/11 - 07:49 am
Does anyone THINK this crap

Does anyone THINK this crap didn't happen?? I doubt the 85 year old crashed her door down by herself.

Tisk tisk what is this world coming to
Corgimom, then why didn't

Corgimom, then why didn't they say that? I am just responding to what the paper said and the history I know Richmond Co. 911 has. Nothing more.

seenitb4 I'm sure relatively few think she kicked in the door herself.

Taylor B
Taylor B 04/06/11 - 09:58 am
I can attest that at 3:30 I

I can attest that at 3:30 I called 911 about a tree falling on a power line and got a busy signal. It took three times to get through with all the calls from the storm.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/06/11 - 06:08 pm
Dispatch line was busy when I

Dispatch line was busy when I called in a shooting at Cyrus Corners a few years back, too. So I just called the media. Won newstip of the week. Called dispatch as soon as I got done with the other call and they said it was being taken care of. Frankly, I was glad that many people were calling in.