Georgia Power asks help to restore electricity

Valerie Rowell/ Columbia County News Times
Columbia County crews walk along Wilkins Road, off Wrightsboro Road near Grovetown, where a tree fell onto a power line. Numerous other trees pulled power lines and poles to the ground during the early morning storm Tuesday, April 5, 2011.
Tuesday, April 5, 2011 4:56 PM
Last updated 5:29 PM

Out-of-state crews have been called in to help Georgia Power restore electricity for some 87,000 customers that are still without power after last night's severe storms, according to a Georgia Power spokeswoman.

Carol Boatright said 17,000 customers are still without power in the east region, which includes the Augusta, Thomson, Evans and Waynesboro areas. Since it's unknown when crews from other states will arrive to help, Boatright said it was difficult to estimate how long it would take to restore power.

She said all Georgia Power crews have been working since early Tuesday morning, and they'll be joined by crews from Mississippi Power, Gulf Power, Duke Power, Louisiana Power, and companies from Missouri and Tennessee.

Boatright said some areas still without power in Augusta as of 4 p.m. included River Ridge Drive, Eisenhower Court, Wrightsboro Road from the 2000-3000 blocks, Sand Hill and Royal Street.

sgachief
sgachief 04/05/11 - 07:12 pm
What we should be asking here

What we should be asking here is if the power companies can't handle this, what will happen if a real crisis happens at plant vogtle?

Taylor B
Taylor B 04/05/11 - 09:25 pm
They are telling me my power

They are telling me my power should be fixed by midnight... tomorrow. UNACCEPTABLE

a different drum
a different drum 04/05/11 - 09:35 pm
Taylor B -- get yourself a

Taylor B -- get yourself a generator.

KSL
KSL 04/05/11 - 09:35 pm
Taylor B, I normally agree

Taylor B, I normally agree with your posts, but I have enough sense to understand that they are going to work on lines that are downed on streets and lines that affect whole subdivisions and areas before they go to individual houses. It's not first come, (call in) first serve. That's the way it has always been. In Aiken there have been areas that were without power for up to a week because of lack of underground lines and the number of downed lines to individual houses. That hasn't happened in a long time, but it has happened because they take care of the greater need first. You, in my opinion, are quite lucky that your individual line will be repaired that quickly. So if it's unacceptable, buy a generator.

KSL
KSL 04/05/11 - 09:41 pm
Oh, Taylor B, I guess you are

Oh, Taylor B, I guess you are just going to have to accept it. Save your frozen food by calling on friends. Shower at a friend's house. My sister lost power in West Georgia. To get ready for work, she showed up at my mom's house to take a shower this morning.

KSL
KSL 04/05/11 - 09:48 pm
sgachief, handling an

sgachief, handling an incident at a plant and handling downed power lines all over that are manpower intensive are two totally different things. I'm beginning to think you and Tayor B are quite young and do not have knowledge of storm related downed power lines, etc. Are y'all so young that you are part of this instant correct, instant access mentality? Not all aspects of life can be instantly changed. I really fear for this country if there are so many people who can't deal with a little disruption in their everyday lives.

KSL
KSL 04/05/11 - 10:05 pm
It takes a human body to

It takes a human body to climb up every pole and put lines back up. It takes human bodies to remove limbs from lines that are on the ground needing to be attached. I read earlier today how many incidents of downed lines that have been reported. I doubt seriously that the number of linemen out trying to repair these downed lines could fit into a room trying to fix a problem at Vogtle.

Taylor B
Taylor B 04/05/11 - 10:15 pm
Hey KSL, I lived in

Hey KSL, I lived in Charleston when Hurricane Hugo hit. When there is a live powerline sitting in my yard in a neighborhood full of children on spring break, my chicken tenders in the freezer are the least of my worries. My tree guy was out here cutting my crushed car out of this mess within three hours.

KSL
KSL 04/05/11 - 10:28 pm
Do you have a tree guy here?

Do you have a tree guy here? I thought you were talking about the power line guys who need to reattach a live power line. At least your children are old enough to know not to go near the live power line.

And yes. I know full well about Hugo. We were on the downside of the winds. One of my sons was in college at the time at USC and he took a road trip with friends to tour Charleston. He said it looked like a war zone with the National Guard out in full force, armed and ready to prevent looting, which they pretty much did, unlike what happened in New Orleans.

KSL
KSL 04/05/11 - 10:32 pm
Also, your power company

Also, your power company needs tree guys to get stuff off their lines so they can put them back up. Your tree guy obviously is not contracted to work with them. So he has fewer obligations. I don't mean to be argumentative, I just have patience with large companies who have large issues, like Georgia Power today.

KSL
KSL 04/05/11 - 10:37 pm
At least you can tell those

At least you can tell those older children to stay away from the power lines. I had lowered, but not downed power lines in 1971, just before my second son was born. I could tell my first son not to go near it, but he was 2. What I'm saying is that you really don't have that much of a problem. It will be taken care of.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 04/05/11 - 10:59 pm
Say what you want about the

Say what you want about the power company but I was up and watching the storm at 3am. I couldn't get the Richmond County on my cell phones scanner but was listening to Columbia County and Ga Power was out there on scene working in the rain. There were and still is alot of downed power lines. Today was the first time I've ever seen a pole snapped in half, it's usually a tree that takes out lines around here. Almost every road in my neighborhood had down lines. I was very surprised when my power cam on at 10pm. My hats off to Ga Power and the guys that came up from Brunswick.

san777
san777 04/05/11 - 11:53 pm
Georgia Power Is Worthless!

KSL
KSL 04/06/11 - 06:01 am
Geez, san. Do you have

Geez, san. Do you have personal knowledge as to why they were not getting the power back on fast enough to suit you? All of you whiners about minor inconveniences should stop and think about what people in Japan are still going through.

harrisjr
harrisjr 04/06/11 - 08:11 am
Say what you want about

Say what you want about Georgia Power... that storm did a lot of damage! Power or no power , I give them thanks!

REDRIDER
REDRIDER 04/06/11 - 08:20 am
Some people don't have a clue

Some people don't have a clue about how power come to their home.
These people put there lives on hold to get our power back up. Long hours
and every situation is different to troubleshoot and repair. There Heroes in my respect.

seenitB4
81909
seenitB4 04/06/11 - 08:25 am
Georgia Power has some great

Georgia Power has some great guys......so don't get your panties in a wad ....lol......amazing that we live in an instant-give me-want it right now type of world......my daughter's power was out for 10 hours in Harlem....they used flashlights.....they went to work as usual.....bathe by candlelight.....kinda sexy.........grilled outside.....steaks were tasty.
Just remember....some have to be stationed at the Masters....just like the telephone workers.....tough job BUT someone has to do it!!

WW1949
WW1949 04/06/11 - 08:33 am
Bravo to the lineman at

Bravo to the lineman at Georgia Power for all your hard work. Those of you that whine have never worked in an area after a storm. In my business which handles about 60-80 jobs a month we had over 1000 to do after a storm in one day. We had 69 calls yesterday and two estimators. People have to be patient. We do not man our business for storm damage year around because we could not charge enough to pay the men. Patience everyone. People will get to you.

corgimom
corgimom 04/06/11 - 09:51 am
"Georgia Power Is Worthless!

"Georgia Power Is Worthless! Yes they may have been in the rain but doing nothing but making that overtime money. Maybe they should have got out of their vehicles and got wet and it would not be sooooo many homes still without power."

Oh yeah, that's a great idea, climb a utility pole during an electrical storm with 100 mph winds! Gosh, who wouldn't do that?

gr8bytehuntr
gr8bytehuntr 04/06/11 - 10:24 am
Taylor B - What you need to

Taylor B - What you need to understand is tens of thousands of man-hours may be needed to repair what was destroyed in a single god-hour.
If that's unacceptable you can just....you can
Gripe about what's not being done FOR you or do something for YOURSELF.

follower 04/06/11 - 04:31 pm
TaylorB, you're young and

TaylorB, you're young and capable. My 78 year old mother-in-law was without power until just an hour ago. Family steps in. That's what families do. Think about the older folks that don't have family.

Also, think next time one of your customers whines because their part didn't come in or you have a difficult time diagnosing their car. They may say UNACCEPTABLE, but you and I know we can only do so much in a days time, and that some things are out of our hands.

Ga. Power is doing ALL they can. Hats off to them.

TaylorB, I expect much more from you.

happychimer
happychimer 04/06/11 - 09:13 pm
We are one of the lucky ones.

We are one of the lucky ones. Our power was out 6 hours. Late this afternoon I saw 2 GA Power pickup trucks cruising about a block from us. Behind them were 3 big service trucks from Alabama.

Changes at Ft. Gordon

Maj. Gen. Stephen Fogarty will be assigned commanding general at the center and of Fort Gordon, replacing Maj. Gen. Lawarren Patterson.