Woman tries to steal purse in mall bathroom

An 84-year-old Evans woman notified authorities after someone attempted to steal her purse in the Augusta Mall bathroom.

According to a Richmond County Sheriff's Office incident report, the unknown woman's arm reached over the stall door and tried to pull the purse off the hook on the door and over the top of the stall around 6 p.m. Saturday. The victim told authorities she grabbed her purse and held on while screaming.

The thief let go and fled the restroom before the victim could get a description, police said.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 04/04/11 - 11:42 pm
I've stopped carrying a purse

I've stopped carrying a purse in the mall. I take my keys, credit card, ID and cell phone with me. Too many purse snatchers running around these days who won't mind breaking your arm to get your purse. Just be sure to wear something with fairly deep pockets or cargo pants with button pockets. I realize that this won't work for everyone, so if you must hang your purse on the hook, hang it on the bottom hook (assuming it's the regular coat rack style), NEVER on the top hook. If there is no double hook, then hang it over the TP dispenser, or set it on top if possible.

Never put a purse or packages on the floor. For starters, it's NASTY. Secondly, it's an easy grab from under the stall.... trust me, it happened to my sister once. Someone reached under the stall and grabbed her shopping bag and ran with it. These disgusting little thieves know you're at a distinct disadvantage when you're in the stall and they make the most of it whenever possible.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/05/11 - 04:46 am
I agree Suzy......take your

I agree Suzy......take your id-card-$$-in a pocket....leave the purse at home.....this happens in restrooms.

missaugusta07
missaugusta07 04/06/11 - 09:02 am
how did she know her purse

how did she know her purse was on the hook?

corgimom
corgimom 04/06/11 - 09:45 am
Because the criminal followed

Because the criminal followed her into the bathroom and didn't see it on the floor, you think?

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 04/06/11 - 02:58 pm
Most likely... Now is the

Most likely... Now is the victim saying she couldn't tell if the arm was white, black, brown or anything? Sheesh. Trying to get descriptions of criminals around here is like the U.S. begging to the world to borrow more money....

bettyboop
bettyboop 04/06/11 - 05:48 pm
How cool would have been if

How cool would have been if the old lady had had a really big knife to slash the thief's arm with....kinda hard to hide with an artery gushing.......

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 04/06/11 - 05:49 pm
Crime...exactly what good

aubaug
aubaug 04/06/11 - 07:52 pm
Use a fanny pack, wear it in

Use a fanny pack, wear it in the front; NEVER carry a purse. Get your keys out while in plain sight, inside the Mall or store, like while you are by the register paying for your last purchase. Bettyboop, I LOVE the knife idea!

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/07/11 - 01:48 pm
A police decoy dressed as an

A police decoy dressed as an ole lady could do the trick.....and when arm comes over the door....bang--handcuffs go on!

sisterinchrist
sisterinchrist 04/08/11 - 05:51 pm
Wow, I guess no more carrying

Wow, I guess no more carrying my Coach bag to the mall!

sunny1
sunny1 04/10/11 - 10:23 am
Just wondering why the 84

Just wondering why the 84 year old lady went to the restroom by herself...not that she couldn't, you know? We KNOW this happens all the time...just sayin.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/10/11 - 10:33 am
I have seen some 80 year olds

I have seen some 80 year olds in better shape than 60 year olds...:)
My taxman is in his 80s.....he walks 2 miles everyday.....still works on hundreds of taxes every year.....could pass me like I'm sitting still....my daughters play tennis with some80 year olds ....samething.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 04/11/11 - 03:30 pm
Suzy Q wrote; Crime...exactly

Suzy Q wrote; Crime...exactly what good will a description of an arm do? How would they do a lineup....like the Hokey Pokey??

Suzy; By knowing if they are Red, Yellow, Black or White we narrow the suspects to about 1/4th of what we knew before that detail. Then we can put the "Hokey" in the "Pokey" where it belongs....