Evans teen charged in March wreck

An Evans teen was charged today in connection with a single-vehicle wreck last month that injured four teens.

Police charged Taylor Dasher, 16, of the 500 block of Waterford Drive, with violating his restricted license, three seat-belt violations, failure to maintain lane and driving too fast for conditions, according to Columbia County sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris.

At about 6:30 a.m. March 20, Dasher crashed a Ford Explorer on Washington Road near Granderson Road in Appling.

Passenger Jessica Oldham, 13, who was initially listed in critical condition following the wreck, was released Wednesday from the Medical College of Georgia Hospital, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

Dasher and two other passengers, 14-year-olds Taylor Turner and Jordyn Paul, were treated and released.

Reach Valerie Rowell at (706) 868-1222, ext. 110 or valerie.rowell@augustachronicle.com.

Purrfectlyevil
Purrfectlyevil 04/04/11 - 05:10 pm
This is why I do not believe

This is why I do not believe that 'Children' under the age of at least 18 should drive vehicles without an adult present. These kids are not mature enough to adhere to road rules and also worry about their friends, cellphones, homework, sports, x-box, the party this weekend, whether or not to get the blue or black pumps, whos car is more pimp... etc etc. They are too distracted to understand the seriousness of owning a license. Please Parents.. think twice about letting your kid get behind the wheel alone.. it may save their life.. or the lives of others.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 04/04/11 - 05:21 pm
Parents would think at least

Parents would think at least twice if their children were driving here in the metro Atlanta area. I can not tell you how many teens have been killed behind the wheels of cars since I moved here 5 1/2 years ago. Driving is a privilege, not a right.

scoobynews
scoobynews 04/04/11 - 05:21 pm
Still wondering what on Earth

Still wondering what on Earth a bunch of teens were doing out on the streets at 6:30 a.m. on a Sunday! One of these kids I know and I can imagine it was up to no good.

Sweet son
Sweet son 04/04/11 - 07:23 pm
Cell phones, loud music and a

Cell phones, loud music and a party atmosphere led to this tragedy. I am glad that all seem to be OK!

snuffygerkins
snuffygerkins 04/04/11 - 07:59 pm
When I was that age I was

When I was that age I was driving a big block, 4 speed muscle car (but so was everybody else) and had a 750 motorcycle...both of which I had worked for. I had also been driving tractors and riding since I was about 7 years old. We didn't have the distractions that kids have today. NO cellphones....NO cd's.....NO GPS's to play with and so forth. Glad that nobody was killed, but with spring here it is just a matter of time before we hear that sad news in the area that some teens have been killed in a wreck, usually with NO seat belts on.

a different drum
a different drum 04/04/11 - 10:12 pm
I cannot help but wonder why

I cannot help but wonder why it took so long to make the charges? I always thought -- if there was a wreck or you were speeding the police office pulled out the ticket book and wrote you a ticket -- charging you. In this case it appears it took days -- was there some kind of back room conference that went on before the charges were made? (I wonder)

a different drum
a different drum 04/04/11 - 10:05 pm
And why does he need to be

And why does he need to be wearing three seat belts? (I am just kidding) Personally, I think the people not wearing seatbelt should be charged and not the drive.

gnatman1102
gnatman1102 04/05/11 - 06:36 am
It's the driver's

It's the driver's responsibility to ensure all passengers use seat belts and whatever else goes on in the vehicle. When I drive, I won't move an inch until my passengers have buckled their seat belts.

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 04/05/11 - 12:38 pm
Whatever happened to raising

Whatever happened to raising responsible kids?

follower 04/05/11 - 01:29 pm
I believe "the fear of dad"

I believe "the fear of dad" was the reason my kids never even had a traffic ticket. My daughter was caught [by me] driving while talking on the cell phone. I called my wife and told her to let my daughter know I would deal with her when I got home. When I got there, she already had her cell phone and her keys on the table because she knew the consequences, and more importantly, that they would be enforced without exception. Two weeks without her cell phone and having mom or dad drive her to school did the trick. It was a hassle for us to drive her, but our inconvenience is secondary to her life.

Parents, make the rules and stick with them calmly and firmly. Love sometimes means saying "NO".

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/05/11 - 02:19 pm
AMEN !!!!! follower

AMEN !!!!! follower

bestcouple
bestcouple 04/07/11 - 09:05 am
I do not believe that cell

I do not believe that cell phones had anything to do with this accident. Also, a teenager can find the tiniest crack in the worlds strictest parents. It only takes a moment to go from being the one on here bragging, to being the one on here relating. I know the article does not include any of the truth.....I will let the girls mother defend her own child when she can. So crazy how we can throw the stones before we know the whole truth. Now as for the driver? That's all I have to say.........

City to consider emergency plan

The Richmond County Emer­gency Management Agency has drafted changes to emergency operating procedures. Overlooked, however, were several pages of emergency contact data riddled with ...