Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Inmate found beaten at Webster Detention Center

Sunday, April 3, 2011 5:00 PM
Last updated 9:30 PM

An inmate at Charles B. Webster Detention Center was found beaten and curled up in a fetal position Friday, according to the Richmond County Sheriff's Office.

The 18-year-old male said two other inmates "jumped" him for causing a recent cellblock lockdown, an incident report said.

He complained of being kneed, kicked and struck repeatedly with plastic cups, and a jail nurse found bruises on his face and head, according to the report.

corgimom
corgimom 04/03/11 - 06:52 pm
That'll do it. Hint: Don't

That'll do it.

Hint: Don't do bad things to get locked up in jail. It is filled with people with anti-social disorders and violent tendencies. It's a bad place to be.

He was lucky he wasn't beaten to death. That's happened, too. Bet he doesn't cause another lockdown again.

ishouldknowbetter
ishouldknowbetter 04/03/11 - 07:48 pm
^^ Wow, way to blame the

^^ Wow, way to blame the victim.

corgimom
corgimom 04/03/11 - 08:11 pm
You don't find nice people in

You don't find nice people in jail. They are in jail for a reason.

And if he caused a lockdown, he wasn't a "victim". He's right where he belongs.

You don't know much about jails, do you?

ishouldknowbetter
ishouldknowbetter 04/03/11 - 08:45 pm
I've worked in three of them

I've worked in three of them and I have a bachelors degree in Criminal Justice, but please, by all means, continue to enlighten me...

airbud7
airbud7 04/03/11 - 08:47 pm
I have to agree with

I have to agree with corgimom, everyone in jail should be kneed, kicked and struck repeatedly...NOT!!!

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 04/03/11 - 08:50 pm
corgimom, I can attest that

corgimom, I can attest that not everyone in jail deserves to be beaten or even locked in there. People do get locked up for self-defense crimes. I have witnessed it myself.

sophiez
sophiez 04/03/11 - 10:23 pm
Okay not everyone in jail is

Okay not everyone in jail is violent, have you ever got a speeding ticket or something like that and forgot to pay it. You can get arrested. Not to say the boy got what he deserved because he did not. If he was the reason for the lockdown then he would have been dealt with accordingly, the cellblock was possibly placed on lockdown for not cooperating with the officers.

blaqbird07
blaqbird07 04/04/11 - 01:49 am
If you have a degree and you

If you have a degree and you are working in a jail then maybe you do need to be enlightened!

OhWell
OhWell 04/04/11 - 06:25 am
blaqbird07, ishouldknowbetter

blaqbird07, ishouldknowbetter said he had worked in three not he still was employed there. Promoting violence of any kind should not be allowed. I do not know the circumstances around any of these events but even in jail no one deserves to be beaten, punished by staff yes but not beaten.

corgimom
corgimom 04/04/11 - 07:09 am
So asitis, please, enlighten

So asitis, please, enlighten us. Just what kind of offenses causes lockdowns?

Because I know the answer, and he brought this on himself. Maybe now he'll learn not to do things to cause lockdowns.

However, if you want to take up for criminals, go ahead.

He'd better get used to it, if he's causing lockdowns, he'll be a repeat visitor, because he obviously has self-control issues.

If you were in jail for a speeding ticket, why wouldn't you cooperate with the jailers?

dougk
dougk 04/04/11 - 10:47 am
It's attitudes like yours,

It's attitudes like yours, Corgimon, that people feel motivated "to take up for criminals." .

LadyS
LadyS 04/04/11 - 01:05 pm
Prisons are becoming the #1

Prisons are becoming the #1 job market in Georgia. There are only a hand full of owns which do not have a prison; however, there are lots like Baldwin who have five prisons in one county. I am familiar with the prison system and know for a fact there are some who need to be in there, there are animals in there - BUT, since the DOC is in almost every county pushes for people to be locked up in order to maintain the bed population. Bottom line, more and more people are getting locked up for not-so-horrendous crimes (suspended license/no child support; you get the picture) in order to maintain the economic balance in the Justice Department. Please don't judge people so fast - after all, it's not up to us to judge anyway.

realitycheck09
realitycheck09 04/04/11 - 04:22 pm
Wow, so I guess all those

Wow, so I guess all those people who are put in jail wrongfully and those who are found not guilty at trial deserved to be beaten up? I will have to remember that. Thanks for the enlightenment, Corgimom.

realitycheck09
realitycheck09 04/04/11 - 04:23 pm
Oh, and to answer your

Oh, and to answer your question, a cellblock could be placed on lockdown for a simple rules violation. For example, someone may have had contraband in their cell (something as simple as an ink pen).

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/04/11 - 07:51 pm
Thanks for those who spoke up

Thanks for those who spoke up about corgimom's unusually harsh comment. Condoning unwarranted violence against prisoners is wrong. And yes, nice people do end up in prison sometimes, but that is beside the point. Two wrongs don't make a right. One of the hallmarks of people with anti-social and violent tendencies is lack of empathy. They tend to excuse and rationalize violence for the same reason, lack of empathy. Sometimes these people end up in jail, sometimes not. Sometimes they are even writing into their local newspaper.

corgimom
corgimom 04/04/11 - 09:41 pm
I have lived surrounded by

I have lived surrounded by people that were either fresh out of jail, gone to jail, or working on going back. I doubt that very few of you have. It's awful. I have no sympathy for criminals, never have, never will. It's way different when you work with them for 8 hours, and then go home to your peaceful house and normal life, but when you're surrounded by them and have to live with them on a daily basis, it's a different story.

And Autumn Leaves, no, I don't have empathy for criminals and have no problem saying so. Why would I? I'll leave the empathy to you. *snort* But based on all of your previous posts, it doesn't appear you do either. So when you want to talk about lack of empathy, perhaps you should examine your own attitudes before commenting about others- unless you want to describe yourself as someone with anti-social tendencies. (By the way, AL, people with anti-social and violent tendencies are the ones that end up in jail, beating up on others, but I digress.)

In jails, if someone causes a lockdown, yes, they get beat. That's the cold reality of jail. I didn't create that situation, that's just the way it is. Jails are violent, terrible places, and I live my life so that I never have to go there.

But I think it's so strange that someone would think that someone in jail for a traffic ticket- and there is nothing in the article that would indicate that- would possess contraband or refuse to cooperate with the officer. Lots of assumptions going around here, you know? For all anyone knows, that 18 year old could be a stone-cold criminal- an armed robber, a rapist, a thief, or even perhaps someone standing trial on manslaughter charges. Would your attitude change significantly? I think so.

But then for some of you, maybe not.

Criminals destroy lives, families, neighborhoods, and cities. The damage they do has long-lasting effects and can change people's lives forever. Anybody that has tender feelings for criminals- well, if ever you're a victim of one, you will change your mind in a hurry.

But Autumn Leaves, as always, I hope tomorrow is a better day for you. Today doesn't seem to be going well for you.

dougk
dougk 04/04/11 - 10:07 pm
Corgimom, you don't have any

Corgimom, you don't have any more information than the rest of us.
But, no one...not even an armed robber, rapist, thief, or someone standing trial on manslaughter charges....deserves to be beat and tortured while in state custody. That's why we pay jail personnel....to protect people both inside the jail and in the community.
And, further, I've been a victim of crime more than once.....and I do not hold the contempt that you do nor do I exactly hold the "tender feelings" that you are accusing people of who seek to uphold the standards of basic human dignity.

GaRealist
GaRealist 04/05/11 - 09:25 am
corgimom, you stated: "I

corgimom, you stated: "I have lived surrounded by people that were either fresh out of jail, gone to jail, or working on going back."

You must be proclaiming a statement that defines who you really may be. According to The World Book Dictionary definition: a companion is; "You are known by the company you keep"
mid column under "company / ne; companion section #4"

Corgimom, you speak volumes of your own character when making such statements. Be careful of what you say, you might just be measured by the same criteria that you use for others.

realitycheck09
realitycheck09 04/05/11 - 10:48 am
Wow. So Corgimom thinks it's

Wow. So Corgimom thinks it's okay for someone standing trial for murder to be beaten in jail. Gotcha. As someone who has worked with and seen several people acquitted of murder charges (among other charges), I'm going to go ahead and disagree.

1. All people in jail or not criminals believe it or not.
2. Even all criminals in jail aren't bad - Georgia requires jail time for stupid crap like a suspended license.

I feel bad for you that you have to defend your indefensible position.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/05/11 - 11:13 am
corgimom. I grew up in the

corgimom. I grew up in the area you are complaining about, as a matter of fact, there is a good chance I know you or someone you know, so your comment that you doubt any of us have lived under your conditions is already false by at least one, me. I think several posters that followed your nasty comment to me spoke well enough I don't have to say much more than that. Yes, I have empathy for people in jail. They are human beings that have done wrong things. I don't pity them, if they are guilty, but I do have enough empathy to know getting beat down in an unwarranted assault is wrong, IF it was truly unwarranted. That's our complaint with your remark. You don't make allowance for that possibility. I am frustrated, I am at times angry, but I don't think wrongs can be righted with more wrongs. I understand and yes, empathize with your feelings, but they do seem more harsh than usual. I'm wondering if something is seriously wrong in your life that you are venting like that here, a thought that which would not have crossed my mind except you wrote that you thought my day must not be going well (yesterday). I was having a GREAT day! If you were not, I am sorry you are having a rough time and I will keep you in my prayers either way. The area you used to live has had some relief from the efforts of Operation Fox Hunt. I thought that would give you something to feel positive about. I know it's just a drop in the bucket, but it did take a considerable investment of effort and resources on the part of the various law enforcement agencies involved and I am proud of that and the results. I hope their work continues to reap results. Augusta, Georgia's Ed Tarver announced a similar result in another Georgia sting operation just recently; I know for a fact that he listens because I discussed the local problems with him a couple of times several years ago and he said he would check into it. He didn't just look into it, he took action. I hope you have a better day today.