Ga. law makes antifreeze 'bitter' to help pets

ATLANTA -- The Georgia Senate voted 43-4 Thursday in favor of legislation that would require antifreeze sold in Georgia to include an additive making it taste bitter to discourage accidental poisoning.

House Bill 40 is officially dubbed Chief’s Law after the name of a supporter of author Rep. Tommy Benton whose dog who fell victim to poisoning. It now heads back to the House which will have to give its agreement to a minor Senate amendment about labeling, then to the desk of Gov. Nathan Deal for his signature.

“I’m pleased,” said Benton, R-Jefferson. “It had a small amendment. I had no problem with that.”

The Feb. 16 vote in the House of 121-23 was more contentious because some conservatives there argued it would have the government meddling in the affairs of businesses and would add costs to motorists to have a product with different ingredients than what is sold in other states. Supporters, though, are hoping that the addition of Georgia as one of the states requiring the bitter taste will convince the antifreeze makers to include it in what they sell in all states so there is only one formula nationwide.

Taylor B
Taylor B 03/31/11 - 05:13 pm
Yep. Pretty much a worthless

Yep. Pretty much a worthless session so far... nice to know that stray dogs take precedence over the people of Georgia.

happychimer
happychimer 03/31/11 - 05:17 pm
It's about time antifreeze is

It's about time antifreeze is made bitter.

KSL
KSL 03/31/11 - 05:29 pm
I agree, happychimer.

I agree, happychimer.

happychimer
happychimer 03/31/11 - 05:32 pm
Taylor the people of GA drink

Taylor the people of GA drink anti-freeze?

happychimer
happychimer 03/31/11 - 06:05 pm
Hi KSL. Hotrod never came

Hi KSL. Hotrod never came back.

KSL
KSL 03/31/11 - 06:21 pm
I'm sorry, happychimer. But

I'm sorry, happychimer. But don't give up. Buckley was gone for a month twice.

Taylor B
Taylor B 03/31/11 - 07:12 pm
No happychimer, I was saying

No happychimer, I was saying that bills like this should come second to tax reform.

As an auto technician, the europeans have had bittering agents in their antifreeze for years (ive worked for VW, Audi, Volvo, Jaguar and Land Rover, all of them have it) and it does taste horrible. Prestone actually makes a non toxic mix. Not saying that this isnt a noble cause, but where are our priorities?

happychimer
happychimer 03/31/11 - 07:33 pm
Taylor I believe in helping

Taylor I believe in helping animal.
KSL I want Hotrod to come home, but I am not getting my hopes up.I hope you are right, that she could still come home.

micbare
micbare 03/31/11 - 07:45 pm
I knew someone who committed

I knew someone who committed suicide by drinking antifreeze. Maybe this a good thing. They add an odor to natural gas. So people can smell it when it is leaking.

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 03/31/11 - 10:30 pm
So....many...other...things..

So....many...other...things...to....worry...about....

corgimom
corgimom 04/01/11 - 07:23 am
I've never understood how

I've never understood how dogs get poisoned by antifreeze. Who leaves it lying around out in the open?

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/01/11 - 09:18 am
Corgimom, I believe it's when

Corgimom, I believe it's when people change the coolant in their car, they drain it in a container much like oil and usually sits around the garage or yard instead of being disposed of.

55 F-100
55 F-100 04/01/11 - 09:56 am
This is important because one

This is important because one Forsyth County woman was convicted of murder using antifreeze to poison husband number one who was a firefighter, and later husband number two who was a law enforcement officer. And the reason that she did what she did was to collect the money from the life insurance policies.

Chillen
Chillen 04/01/11 - 10:10 am
The Government swoops in

The Government swoops in again to protect us and save us from our own stupidity.

More laws. More regulations. More expenses (the cost of antifreeze will be going up plus the expense of govt regulation to enforce this).

Our freedoms are ticking away one by one by one. In the meantime we all sit idly by and watch Dancing with the Stars & Jersey Shore and figure out ways to get more free money from the govt for doing nothing.

stillamazed
stillamazed 04/01/11 - 10:34 am
I was thinking the same thing

I was thinking the same thing 55F-100, what about making it bitter to protect people from being murdered by it......there have been many cases where people were given anti-freeze and murdered. Oh but I forgot, pets are more important than humans...

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 04/01/11 - 11:14 am
I prefer the '06 Prestone. On

I prefer the '06 Prestone. On the nose it opens to a bouquet of Goodyear rubber but on the palate it brings to mind citrus flavors but with an undercurrent of minerals. The finish is smooth and very long. Like forever.