Police arrest woman for deceptions

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:16 AM
Last updated 8:32 AM

A local con woman is under arrest after deputies issued a warning that she might be back up to her old tricks.

Smith
Smith

Eva Carrol Smith, 44, was arrested Monday and charged with two counts of theft by deception, according to Richmond County Jail records.

On Friday, deputies warned the public that Smith, 44, was scamming people again. In July, she flagged down vehicles several times and asked for money and gas.  Smith promised the Good Samaritans that her father, whom she claims works at the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office, would reward them for their kindness.

Deputies said two reports have already been filed this year, the most recent on Wednesday, according to Richmond County sheriff’s Investigator Sean Newsome. Authorities are aware of several other instances this year but reports were not filed.

Smith, who doesn’t own a car, has been stopping people asking for money for a locksmith to help get her keys out of her car.

She then uses the person’s cell phone to call her father, who authorities said has never worked for the sheriff’s office. In reality, Smith dials University Hospital’s phone number but quickly hangs up and talks for 10 minutes or more to the dead air, Newsome said.

Her “father” always claims big rewards for helping his daughter in need.

She was sentenced to three years probation on the charges from July.

WW1949
WW1949 03/29/11 - 08:45 am
They also hang out in front

They also hang out in front of Lugis, at the Shell station at the corner of Walton Way and Crawford, at the Pizza Place across from Kentucky Chicken doing the same thing except they say they are hungry or need to catch a bus to go see their sick parents. DO NOT BELIEVE A WORD THEY SAY. ALL THEY WANT IS BEER MONEY. They also come up to you if you are eating downtown on the sidewalk and badger you for money.

charliemanson
charliemanson 03/29/11 - 08:58 am
The more upscale ones go to

The more upscale ones go to the mall and beg. Lol.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 03/29/11 - 10:31 am
Say it ain't so!

Say it ain't so!

hdrider
hdrider 03/29/11 - 10:40 am
This is illegal?

This is illegal?

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 03/29/11 - 10:58 am
Must be Illegal and WRONG! In

Must be Illegal and WRONG! In her MUG SHOT she wears a shirt "The Good News Is, I was Right, The Better News You were Wrong", GUESS she is WRONG in this situation with a bond of 2600. LOL Check it out: http://appweb2.augustaga.gov/InmateInquiry/AltInmatesOnline.aspx

If you see this woman approaching you, RUN!

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/29/11 - 11:06 am
Twice in the last months we

Twice in the last months we have been approached by people at gas stations saying they are broke & need a few $$ for gas...clean-decent looking people just down on their luck (or seem to be)...they are getting some help from strangers...this must happen all over the country.

Einstein
Einstein 03/29/11 - 11:11 am
I gave her $25 last week. She

I gave her $25 last week. She just film me that she needed some grocery money at the 15th Street Kroger. What's the big deal? You guys are all tight wads!

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 03/29/11 - 11:26 am
We are NOT tight wads! It

We are NOT tight wads! It would be different if these folks did NOT use the money to buy DRUGS, CIGS and ALCOHOL. Get jobs like the rest of us! We GIVE but to WORTHY NEEDY FOLKS!

armyretired
armyretired 03/29/11 - 11:26 am
I had one guy approach me at

I had one guy approach me at the dean bridge wal mart and say his mom was sick and he needed gas money to go see her - or what ever his line was. The first time I gave him the couple dollars I had on me, the second time he approached with the same line I told him no. It isn't so much as being tight wads - if some one is in need most of us do not mind giving a couple dollars but it is the scam artist that leave a bad feeling for peole begging for money. Then you hear about the people that beg all day long and at the end of the day drive away in a nice car. It just makes you wonder if the people begging for money really are in need or just too lazy to get a job.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/29/11 - 11:40 am
The man in Walmart approached

The man in Walmart approached my husband and acted like he was a friend from back in highschool. My husband meets a lot of individuals and just assumed that it was someone he didn't remember. The guy gave a long story about having to go see his sick mother and my husband told him he wished he could help but didn't have any cash on him (I had the money with me in another part of the store)...anyway it was about 20 mins. later and he approached my husband again...with the same story. When my husband reminded him that he had just spoke with him earlier, the man couldn't leave fast enough.

armyretired
armyretired 03/29/11 - 12:16 pm
That is what he did the

That is what he did the second time I saw him - claimed he had never seen me before and rushed away. He seemed upset that I had remembered him.

Patty-P
Patty-P 03/29/11 - 12:35 pm
These people are simply

These people are simply asking for money just as any homeless person would. You can choose to believe what they are telling you or not. I don't get how it is criminal when people are out begging all the time.

LynxRHot
LynxRHot 03/29/11 - 12:40 pm
If you want to help someone,

If you want to help someone, pick up a fast-food meal and give it to a homeless person. I've done this a few times, and each time the person was very appreciative to have something to eat. And I received a blessing of knowing I had helped someone in need.

Sweet son
Sweet son 03/29/11 - 12:43 pm
She probably draws a check

She probably draws a check from the "govment" and has that food stamp debit card thingy but she can't buy beer etc with the card.

Einstein
Einstein 03/29/11 - 01:07 pm
And what's wrong with a

And what's wrong with a homeless person consuming cigarettes and alcohol?!? They aren't allowed to blow off a little steam like the rest of us? Lighten up, folks... Quit being so judgmental and help your fellow man!

stillamazed
stillamazed 03/29/11 - 01:26 pm
Last year there was a woman

Last year there was a woman hanging out at University Hospital and then again at the Target shopping center in Evans, she would claim that someone had dropped her off at the hospital or the shopping center and never returned and she needed money to call a cab. She tried to get money from me at both locations. I never give people like that money, but then a little later I see her walking down Washington road with a guy who looked like he may have been on meth, but she was well dressed, polite, you would never suspect she was running a scam and I actually saw people giving her money....when I choose to help people it will be people who truly need and deserve it.

hdrider
hdrider 03/29/11 - 02:27 pm
I don't see how her scheme is

I don't see how her scheme is any more deceptive than the crooked car dealers on gordon hwy.

corgimom
corgimom 03/30/11 - 07:36 am
Note to self: If you run a

Note to self: If you run a scam, and tell people that your father works for the RCSO, so that people will then call the RCSO and want money, you WILL be busted.

Doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do, does it?

belle
belle 03/30/11 - 07:41 am
There is a balding, middle

There is a balding, middle aged white man doing the "my mom is in the hospital and I have to get there" routine at gas stations. He is addicted to the lottery. He takes the money straight inside and buys tickets and leaves with no more gas than he came in with.

dani
dani 03/30/11 - 08:34 am
Gosh. Just as I was making

Gosh. Just as I was making plans to raise some gas money , this woman spoils everything.

Patty-P
Patty-P 03/30/11 - 09:10 am
The whole situation sounds

The whole situation sounds silly because if she needed help, she would have just asked to make a phone call to her dad in the first place. Why ask a stranger for money if dad is a big timer at the RCSD? Put two plus two together and just know that anyone who is asking for a couple dollars is just begging, no matter what their excuse is. Your conscious will guide you as to whether you want to make a donation or not. Either give them a dollar or just simply walk away. Either this woman is strung out on something or has mental problems. Let it be.

Cadence
Cadence 03/30/11 - 11:18 am
LOL Sorry Dani, Washington

LOL Sorry Dani, Washington Rd. is my turf; you'll have to move downtown. I gots an idea for a new scam.

Jane18
Jane18 03/30/11 - 11:53 am
Einstein, please change your

Einstein, please change your name...........................

Einstein
Einstein 03/30/11 - 02:17 pm
Lol, Jane. That was a good

Lol, Jane. That was a good one! :-)

alsteve
alsteve 03/30/11 - 06:58 pm
you know asking for money b/c

you know asking for money b/c you are hungry is one thing, but scamming people out of hundreds of dollars (or possibly more) so they can get their next fix is a different story.

Patty-P
Patty-P 03/30/11 - 09:29 pm
I couldn't see myself giving

I couldn't see myself giving a stranger on the street hundreds of dollars that easily. I've given a dollar or two and that's all. People should use discretion when being approached by strangers for money in the first place.

Pu239
Pu239 03/30/11 - 10:40 pm
Collect call from the

Collect call from the Nigerian Royal family, will you accept the charges?

nycweeks
nycweeks 03/30/11 - 10:47 pm
The Shell Circle K at 15th

The Shell Circle K at 15th and Reynolds is a favorite place also. I don't even let them get the scam sentence out. I say, "NO!" and they say, "God Bless you, sir."